7-18-2012 Wednesday's Menopausal Mad Hatters Chatter

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
Good morning Mad Hatters!

Wednesday.. hmmmm

A tough day of the week for some of us; a day when old habits can start to rear their ugly heads and our thoughts can turn to those rationalizations we’ve spent decades perfecting..

I’ve been good for a couple of days.. so today…maybe just a little treat….

I’m so mad/angry/embarrassed/sad today.. I “deserve” a little pick me up…

Habits. They are so hard to break.

But what if… JUST FOR TODAY…

If we find those habitual thoughts begin to intrude… what if.. we tweak em just a little bit… just for today:

“I’ve been good for a couple of days in a row”….and you know what.. I feel GREAT about it today!! I love food; good food.. and yup.. I WANT a treat today. But maybe just for today.. I’ll choose something I love instead! Something I love, and that’s also good for me! Maybe I’ll enjoy a couple of super sweet strawberries dipped in a little dark chocolate…yum!

“I’m so mad/angry/lonely/sad… I deserve a little pick me up”.. but.. …it’s OK that I feel this way.. they’re my feelings and I’m entitled to them.. But JUST for today, I will not turn to something that will actually hurt me for comfort.. I will not turn to processed chemicals to console or comfort me and further bring me down…

Just for today, I’ll accept that I’m feeling low right now.. but this time.. I’m going to take care of me first. Everyone else can take care of themselves for just a little while cause I'm SO not in the mood.. .I’ll vent to a friend, or have a good cry, or break every dish in the house.. or maybe even go for a walk but …just for today.. I will not let old habits kick in. Not this time.
Just NOT today.

Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today.

Replies

• 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Inspirational snoozie....just what I needed thanks!

PS - I only just posted on yesterdays thread...not sure when today finishes and tomorrow starts...or was that yesterday finishing
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Lisa1960 - sorry I was up for an hour and thought I'd start the new day before going to bed; I forget with the diff time zones it can be confusing.. but I always go back to the last thing I read and start there each time I log on.. lol don't wanna miss any ofthe good stuff! Funny to think of you being in "winter" too.. glad you're enjoying the cool weather. and believe me, I'm thrilled for ya not having the hot flashes lol - and loved the scarf idea!! Have a great day and enjoy your run tonite.. and I dont know why I struggle so much with the water intake either but it's a tuff one for me too.. so we'll work on it together today!
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Nice post about habits Snooozie. Dr Phil's weight loss books has a lot of focus on habits. He suggests for example if you usually eat ice cream when watching TV in the evenings, replace it with knitting or something something you can not eat when doing. When you get a snack attack clean a closet, vaccuum or just do something contra to eating. Maybe if i listened to more of what I read I still would not be fighting those dust bunnies (lol).

Well about to head out for my AM walk. I think I will take a trash bag with me today and pick up some road side trash (I do this once in a while) I like to think I am helping the eviorment as well as my waist line.

Well have a good day all.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    thanks for the inspiration Snoozie, this is something I need to work on. I have a habit of coming home from work and opening the refrigerator to see what I can find to eat. Today we are throwing a wedding shower for a co-worker and it will be tough to turn down snacks and cupcakes. Hmm, I will have to make decisions.
    I hope all of you have a great day!
  • lorielou111
    lorielou111 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good morning , great "ahaaah moment" you gave me Snoozie about the not so rewarding, comes with strings attached "reward". This morning I put hazelnut creamer in my coffee as a sweet treat . I don't usually waste the calories on creamer, but it is a treat without going overboard for me.Great thoughts for our great minds!! Thanks! Have a good walk bisland!! Lorie:happy:
  • Lindawoj1
    Lindawoj1 Posts: 26
    Options
    Great pep talk Snoozie. I'll keep it in mind when I'm being tempted all day at the zoo with my family.
    Have a great day all. Fingers crossed that we all make wise choices.
  • KLB960
    KLB960 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I thought of this quote and thought would fit in this conversation, author unknown: "Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift-that is why it is called the Present."
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I thought of this quote and thought would fit in this conversation, author unknown: "Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift-that is why it is called the Present."

Love that! :flowerforyou:
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Good Morning My Lovely Ladies! I want to apologize for not checking in and being more supportive to all of you. I think I mentioned before that I now have my awesome daughter and 3 precious grandkids living with me. They are 6, 5, and 3. Needless to say that I work full-time, my daughter and I do Zumba after work and don't get home till after 6:30. Then it is get dinner fixed, kids bathed and to bed.....It doesn't leave alot of time for playing on MFP. Of course, I am continuing to log my food and excercise. My daughter and I are on this journey together. In fact, she just won our latest Biggest Loser challenge here on MFP.....a whooping 47.4 lbs. She is a Rock Star and my greatest fan. :-)

Snoozie, thanks for the inspiring post this am. For me, my reward is seeing the scale go down and the inches coming off.

Keep marching onward, my firends. Our goals are attainable.....Eat healthy, make good choices for YOU, KEEP MOVING.....and DRINK YOUR WATER!!!!!

HUGZz
    Kimberly

P.S. Day 26 smoke-free! IPOM!!
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Kimberly—26 days smoke free, that is AWESOME
    Snoozie—thanks for the reminder that there will be times when our minds start to tell us we “deserve” the splurge. But don’t we deserve to be healthy more than anything? unfortunately, there are times when we just convince ourselves that healthy choices are what we need and “Just for today” is a great way to get through those times. After all a day at a time has been keeping alcoholics sober for a long time now.
    Tonya-good luck surviving the shower!! little appetizer foods are always very tempting to me and they have a way of adding up before you even notice!
    Bisland-Wow-keeping the environment clean while you do your walk, what an inspiration. Be careful in the traffic, consider getting something bright and reflective if you do this frequently.
    Everyone-enjoy the “Present” (great quote) and live today to the fullest.
    I’m playing tennis tonight at 6 in an airconditioned facility because I refused to even try to play outside during a heat alert. And things are not cooling down by 6 pm here in the sweltering sub-continent of Maryland.
    Janet
  • 1slimlinda
    1slimlinda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    :blushing: IPOM ! I was shopping today and I was getting really hungry. As I walked through Shopko, I thought Wow! Chocolate would be excellent right now! Then my internal voice , or the angel on my shoulder told me to find something good that would not wreck me for the rest of the day. I remembered how my friends have been telling me at work how good I am looking, which took me straight to the beef jerky and almonds. I decided to buy the snack bags of jerky so I would not the whole large bag......besides, have you seen how much that stuff costs lately? Beef jerky 50 calories a snack size bag. Butter toffee flavored almonds 160 cal per 28 nuts! What a yummy snack. Ate it before I got home as I passed McDonalds, Taco Bell, and some other great aromas. I am home now planning my workouts for the evening knowing that what I burn off will have been worth the calories, and I am happy I made the right choices. I seem to be getting in the habit of discussing my choices with my self and after the bargain has been made I am happy. Healthy food tastes better anyways. Stay strong and decide what you will eat instead of grab and go. Sometimes its a hard bargain, but its worth it. Linda
    PS. I treated myself to a new set of workout clothes. Shopko has buy one get one free!:blushing:
  • 1slimlinda
    1slimlinda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just realized how much that blushing face looks like me in a hot flash! lol
  • Snooozie
    Options
    i LOST 0.0025 ounces!!!

K.. I had my moustache waxed.. BUT I'm counting it :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Just came up from the t/mill; have to log my food and eat then will be back to post! LOVING the chatter!

:laugh:
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hi to all the Hatters,

Sorry, I have been MIA..I try to hop on, on my breaks, and read up on everyone’s day. By the time I get home, I don’t feel like fighting that dang laptop ,to type. I have learned a few new cuss words trying to type on it.
    I know you all are doing such a great job…… and I POU , but I have a little IPOM of my own. Drum Roll please………….. If any one knows me, they know it’s hard for me to pass by a freshly cooked Chicken tender…I am from the South, ya know. But I have done it for 3 days, almost to a whole week. YEAH!! I am substituting a cup strawberries. I am truly hungry by lunch, but it’s a good feeling..
    I’m starting to walk the stairs again. Getting in my 32 – 48 oz. of water. I still have a big hurdle to cross at night. It is my worst time. I will sit and eat until I’m miserable. After dinner, I will search the kitxchen for anything to snack on….No I’m not hungry, just BORED!! So I really like Snooozie’s morning post. I know she was calling me out!!! : )
    Well, Breaks over, gotta get back to work. Wishing you all the best. Have a fabulous night.
    G
  • Snooozie
    Options
    T2!! FABULOUS IPOM’S!! (yep.. plural!!)

How great must you feel today??? Passing on those CT’s is a huge accomplishment; well done!! AND getting in the stairs.. and the water?
    Doing the happy dance for ya!! (and no LOL.. sorry to say, the wed reference was culled yet again from one of my own particular bad habits… trust me, this glass condo would never throw a stone in any direction - you’ve inspired me not to give up on getting in that damn water with your conquest! Hugs!

Bis: what a great IPOM on picking up the trash while you walk!! IPOU! and I think it’s a great idea to occupy yourself with something else when you know you’re in your susceptible place.. (but seriously.. he suggests clean a closet or vaccum?? I’m all for the knitting or reading, but only a man could think cleaning would happily distract ME from food… giggle snort). My dust bunnies appear to have formed an army; I’m afraid to go to sleep in case they attack en masse.

Tonya: I have been known to guard guests away from a buffet with a fork as my weapon and teeth bared; so I feel for you tonite! I struggle with the PLANNING of having good food that I like available for when that fridge door opens – hope you had a great nite!

Lorielou What a great way to indulge in a little something special for yourself, and guilt free enjoyment!! Betcha that tasted fab and IPOU for making such a great choice!

Lindawoj.. hope you hada grand day at the zoo.. !

KLB: AWESOMELY PERFECT! LOVE IT!

Gotta go throw some laundry in… be back with a few more replies
  • Snooozie
    Options
    T2 – forgot to add.. I gotta admit sometimes I find im just too darn tired to log on the puter .. specially on days like today where it seemed to take me FOREVER to log evyerting.. I suspect theres a quicker, easier way I’ll figure out soon but sometimes, by the time dinner is done I just wanna flake in front of the tv. That’s when I remember I still have to make a lunch for tomorrow - gak. Honest to god I don’t know how some of you with families and work and trying to lose weight find the TIME sometimes to do it all.. I think a little standing ovation is in order.. might take me a minute to drag myself up outta my chair.. (oooommph.. k.. I’m up.. so a salute to all those women who juggle so much every day… I raise my water bottle!!

T 2 – also forgot to say.. if you’re getting really hungry by lunch, you might want to try eating something with protein for brekkie.. my friend suggested that to me cause when I had grains (oatmeal or cereal) I was starving by lunch, sometimes even with a snack.. so now I try to start with a higher protein morning to keep me going.. just sharing..

Kimberly: I dunno how you find the time to breathe (see above!) Know you’re loving having your daughter and g/kids home so no worries – we love seeing and hearing from you but understand completely!

HSH; Glad you’re gonna be in airconditioned premises tonite!! Hope you take the game(s)!!!

1slim: Yum yum YUM!! What a fabulous choice – good for you, and so delicious!!! Bet you were doing the Snoopy happy dance all the way home while munching! IPOM INDEED! And there’s nothing wrong with talking to yourself; I do it all the time don’t I snooz.. yes I do.. giggling at the hot flash picture you posted .. you look mahvellllous dahlin…

Phew.. I’m like a babbling brook.. so my IPOM.. is I had a GOOD day. I ate well, and ate things I really like that are also good for me; and enjoyed every bite – including those couple of strawberries dipped in 1 square of melted dark chocolate I’m about to have!) and I still did great with my calories.. I’m finally starting to realize I don’t have to feel deprived at all, there is so much out there that I love to eat that’s healthy – I just have to make sure I don’t get stuck eating the same things and get bored, cause that’s when I also tend to stray. So… a little confession.. I’ve been creeping thru some of the Mad Hatters food diaries looking for ideas… I’ve stolen a few but I’m not telling which ones LOL..

Got my brisk walk in, but my back has been bothering me a lot since I did that elliptical, so I won’t be going back on it for a while as I can’t risk getting laid up if it goes out on me.. but in keeping with the “mix it up a bit” theory.. I hopped on the stationary bike and lasted 15 min and burned 100 calories.. so I was a happy camper.. (I did think of you Merobi. And your 44 miles… !) I may hop on the scale tomorrow, I may not.. I’m not really worried if I haven’t lost any more yet cause I feel good about me today!!

Have a great night and/or day wherever you may be; catch ya on the flipside of the moon!:yawn:
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    .....just a note on the diversion tactics to avoid eating ice cream while watching TV...knitting works brilliantly for me....however....I now have a towering pile of knitted squares to make a blanket (squares are about my level although they do have patterns)...you see I'm not quite sure how to sew them together...or whether to put a border or backing, etc...so I just keep knitting another square, and another square....definitely has stopped me eating after dinner though and one day I might have a massive blanket:happy:
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Love that! :flowerforyou:

Me too. :smile: