Primal gain with HIIT program

Options
Cerebrus189
Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
Hi everybody! I haven't posted anything on these boards as a question in a while. I'd like the experience of people who have been doing Primal for a while and workout consistently, as they understand some of the more complex aspects of Primal/Paleo.

I've been doing Primal now for about 7 months and have lost a considerable amount of weight. I lost quite a bit just in the past two weeks when I got really serious about it. I was only walking, not doing any strength training and the weight was just falling off me. I have now started a HIIT program using P90X and Insanity to try to bring my body fat percentage down from 25% to maybe 20%. I have noticed soreness start to set in, which is normal, but on the scale, I've had a small gain. Is this a temporary thing as my body adjusts to the program or am I possibly working out too hard?

Just to give you an idea of what I'm doing, I do Insanity 3 days a week, and P90X (strength) three days a week in between my cardio. The 7th day is rest. My Insanity cardio sessions are relatively short, no longer than 45 minutes and I hardly ever burn over 300 calories doing it. My strength training sessions are around 60 minutes. I'm still walking between 2-4 miles a day. I'm also eating more calories to compensate. I really like both programs but after I did Insanity the first time, I really wanted to incorporate some strength with it, and so I added P90X into the mix with beachbody's hybrid program.

Is this enough to completely stop/stall my weight loss? Is this only temporary and if so, what's going on? I'm only up 2 lbs but I'm so used to the scale going down and not up that this has me concerned I might be stressing my body too much.

Replies

• 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read about where you are, working on body fat%, the scale is worthless. You are going to gain muscle so you may weigh more but everything else should be changing in the right direction, ie measurements, and how you look and feel in your clothes.
  • Maasmondy
    Maasmondy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Your slight weight gain is most likely water retention in response to repair the damaged muscle tissue (which will happen most likely with the weight training and intense cardio). I notice I'm usually a little heavier if I really push myself one week, but it will go away when soreness subsides.

Also, if you're working to decrease body fat percentage, the scale will not be a great indicator of progress like 2young2b said. You really need to take your measurements and take pictures.

I finished my first round of P90X a month ago and on week 3 of Insanity. I hope you're loving it!
  • scubagoil
    scubagoil Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Basically, what is happening to your body is something like this…

The strength training is causing tiny tears in your muscles. Your body’s response to this is to fill the muscles with fluid to aid the healing process. Your muscles may feel very sore due to the tearing and the swelling that can occur, although some people will not notice the soreness.

This can happen not only in the beginning of a program, but also when starting a new training block because you will be working new muscles again.

So, some of the gain can be similar to water weight gain and some will be muscles that are developing. The weight loss will start again, but this is a good time to take measurements so you can really track your progress.

When I started P90X, I put on a couple of pounds, and then I didn't lose any weight for weeks. It was frustrating, but I decided to trust that the program was working, and before I knew it, the pounds started to fall off!

You've been doing great - don't worry about the scale right now, just focus on your workouts and eating right!
  • scubagoil
    Options
    Maasmondy - We posted around the same time... I see we said almost the same exact thing! Didn't mean to copy what you were saying :laugh:
  • Maasmondy
    Maasmondy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's all good Scubagoil!

You will lose body fat doing P90X and Insanity. Since March I went from 30% to being 16%. Obese to fit/lean. CRAAZY!
  • Cerebrus189
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you everybody for your insight and answers. Although it was a small gain, the information regarding the tiny tears, water retention, and muscle rebuilding makes so much sense. I'll keep on doing what I'm doing, especially regarding how it affects me overall :)

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't counteracting my weight loss. A few lbs doesn't bother me knowing I'm doing what's best for my body in all aspects of health.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you everybody for your insight and answers. Although it was a small gain, the information regarding the tiny tears, water retention, and muscle rebuilding makes so much sense. I'll keep on doing what I'm doing, especially regarding how it affects me overall :)

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't counteracting my weight loss. A few lbs doesn't bother me knowing I'm doing what's best for my body in all aspects of health.

Don't worry. I am on same boat with you. I am doing crossfit and I just lost 1lb., but my muscles got bigger than ever.
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    For an example about why the scale kind of sucks as a measurement for stuff like this.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

her pictures of 130-something lbs, and 145 ish lbs show how you can weigh more but look thinner actually its weird. Now shes 155 and can deadlift 355lbs. She's my hero so i'm gushing a little here. but the pics are still worth a look for perspective.
  • scubagoil
    Options
    For an example about why the scale kind of sucks as a measurement for stuff like this.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

her pictures of 130-something lbs, and 145 ish lbs show how you can weigh more but look thinner actually its weird. Now shes 155 and can deadlift 355lbs. She's my hero so i'm gushing a little here. but the pics are still worth a look for perspective.

Thanks for sharing - that is a great example!
  • Cerebrus189
    Options

Yes, I guess I really need to rethink some things as far as weight and muscle mass go. I want to look like her, lean and mean. I'm putting my scale up in the closet starting today.
  • Knoxvilla5
    Knoxvilla5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great pair: Insanity and P90X! BOL and keep up the good work!
  • Cerebrus189
    Options
    Thanks! It's the most hardcore program I've ever done, besides Boot Camp when I was enlisted. It kicks my *kitten* every day and I love to wake up sore because why waste my time if I"m not working out for real.

I always tell my kids to "Go Hard or Go Home!" when they're doing MMA (grappling, boxing, kickboxing, and bag work) or competitive dance, so I must lead by example. The kids want to do my programs with me and that's tough because they work out with their activities plus want to work out to mine. They're more hardcore than I am.
  • Cerebrus189
    Options
    My kids are 8, 9, and 10 by the way, not teenagers, but they all eat Primal/Paleo just like me for the most part.