Paleo and Hypothyroid

Options
mom2tek
mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
Is there anyone living a Paleo lifestyle suffering from Hypothyroidism??

Both my mother and sister have a Hypothyroid. I fear I may have this condition now. I have nearly every symptom of it including major hair loss. I'll be getting checked by the Dr. here soon but until then what are your experiences? I want to stay away from any meds.
Has anyone been able to control it by their diet?? I've researched that spinach can actually make it worse and I've been eating daily spinach salads during the week for my lunches. I've been trying to stay primarally Paleo. I'm still working on it but was doing very well until recently. I feel tired, depressed and unmotivated. I lost a very good amount of weight for the first 5 months. Now these last 2 months if I look at food I gain 5 pounds. Then it'll take me the rest of the week to lose it again.
If there is anyone with some experience and advice I would apreciate it.

Replies

• eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, any cruciferous vegetables will suppress the thyroid, so you'd probably want to try a diet of elimination with those. Wikipedia has a good list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables

Beyond that I don't know much, so hopefully others will chime in soon. Good luck!
  • DiscoGirl999
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I eat largely primal. But I do take thyroxine and have done for years, quite a high dose. I'm usually fairly reticent about popping pills but thyroxine is simply replacing the hormone that the body manufactures naturally. I have absolutely no side effects.
    The reasons that might apply to resisting a drug (dependency, toxicity...) don't really apply here.
    This link from the Mayo clinic is useful, it queries role of diet.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism-diet/AN01478
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/stopthethyroidmadness/

check out the above lots of people believe that Paleo/primal is excellent for hypos
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and I must agree that Paleo/Primal is excellent for people with autoimmune diseases, especially thyroid. Since I have dropped some weight due to Primal/Paleo, I have decreased my dosage and I believe it'll be decreased again later this month. I'm not sure if it will necessarily heal my thyroid issues altogether, but I'm happy with healing my gut and decreasing my meds.

Goiterogenic foods include spinach, cabbage, broccoli, sauerkraut, etc. But good news is that the goiterogenic effects from these foods can be greatly decreased by cooking them. I don't shy away from these veggies because I love them, Now that I know that I must limit them raw, I am free to enjoy them.

Another large food group to be aware of are nightshade vegetables which includes tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and potatoes. For people with autoimmune diseases like thyroid issues, these contribute directly to leaky gut. Others you should avoid are soy (not Paleo/Primal approved anyway) in all forms, and flax seed, as both contain an incredible amount of phytoestrogens, and flax is another goiterogenic food. Both soy and flax seed, because of their estrogenic effects, mess with the absorption of meds.
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You should check out www.theclothesmakethegirl.com. she had issues with her thyroid too.
  • mom2tek
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and I must agree that Paleo/Primal is excellent for people with autoimmune diseases, especially thyroid. Since I have dropped some weight due to Primal/Paleo, I have decreased my dosage and I believe it'll be decreased again later this month. I'm not sure if it will necessarily heal my thyroid issues altogether, but I'm happy with healing my gut and decreasing my meds.

Goiterogenic foods include spinach, cabbage, broccoli, sauerkraut, etc. But good news is that the goiterogenic effects from these foods can be greatly decreased by cooking them. I don't shy away from these veggies because I love them, Now that I know that I must limit them raw, I am free to enjoy them.

Another large food group to be aware of are nightshade vegetables which includes tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and potatoes. For people with autoimmune diseases like thyroid issues, these contribute directly to leaky gut. Others you should avoid are soy (not Paleo/Primal approved anyway) in all forms, and flax seed, as both contain an incredible amount of phytoestrogens, and flax is another goiterogenic food. Both soy and flax seed, because of their estrogenic effects, mess with the absorption of meds.

It'll be another adjustment for me. I love spinach, broccoli, tomatoes,peppers,eggplant. I guess I will have to just start limiting them raw for now or cooking them first. I used to always put flax seed in my breakfast smoothies also. I will stay Paleo now forever. It's been a big improvement for me. Just here now some added issues that I guess I may need some additional help in the form of medication. Thank you for your help.
  • mom2tek
    Options
    You should check out www.theclothesmakethegirl.com. she had issues with her thyroid too.

Thanks for that site! I'll checking this out when I have alittle more time (back to work for me now) to read her experiences, Looks like a great read.
  • mom2tek
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/stopthethyroidmadness/

check out the above lots of people believe that Paleo/primal is excellent for hypos

Thanks for the site! I do need to check this one out also!
  • mom2tek
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I eat largely primal. But I do take thyroxine and have done for years, quite a high dose. I'm usually fairly reticent about popping pills but thyroxine is simply replacing the hormone that the body manufactures naturally. I have absolutely no side effects.
    The reasons that might apply to resisting a drug (dependency, toxicity...) don't really apply here.
    This link from the Mayo clinic is useful, it queries role of diet.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism-diet/AN01478

Thank you for the website information! I've got a buch of reading to do tonight :) I appreciate your help!
  • mom2tek
    Options
    From what I've read, any cruciferous vegetables will suppress the thyroid, so you'd probably want to try a diet of elimination with those. Wikipedia has a good list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables

Beyond that I don't know much, so hopefully others will chime in soon. Good luck!

This was a great list to read! Thank you for your help and information!
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I don't think my thyroid will be fixed by diet alone, but I can alleviate some symptoms of Hashimoto's a la Cerberus. I've been on levothyroxine since I was 16 and just recently, liothyronine and selenium-- those are already improving my hair (woot!). I doubt I'll ever be off them completely, but that's fine.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I don't think my thyroid will be fixed by diet alone, but I can alleviate some symptoms of Hashimoto's a la Cerberus. I've been on levothyroxine since I was 16 and just recently, liothyronine and selenium-- those are already improving my hair (woot!). I doubt I'll ever be off them completely, but that's fine.

Zellagrrl, what do liothyronine and selenium do for you?
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    My MD had me on levothyroxine, to produce T4 for years, but never tested my T3 levels-- those were low, even though my T4 was fine, which indicated that I wasn't naturally converting T4 into T3. That's what my naturopath tested-- the liothyronine is effectively T3, and the selenium is to help my body convert T4 into T3... we're still figuring out levels.