Boy Scouts reaffirm ban on gays

Options
2»

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I think they have the right to refuse whomever they want, since they're a private organization that does not rely on public funds, but I also think it's a shame that so many in our society are still so bigoted. If they banned someone over race, very few people would buy their cookies, much less put their kids in scouts. I think it's time to take the same view of bigotry toward homosexuals.
    That are a private "Club", and they don't specifically "Rely on public funds",,, but they get a lot of government support in other ways. For example, if I want to rent the Township Hall to hold a meeting, I'm paying $50 an hour plus a janitor fee. But BSA Troop 2xx meets there every week for free. Little stuff like that.

I think that if they want to discriminate and practice intolerance they can do that - much like each of us is free to pull our own teeth out with pliers - but we certainly should not be providing any public support. If a parochial school can make sure their health insurance dollars don't pay for some atheist lunch lady's BC pills, I sure as hell oughta be able to make sure that my county taxes don't go to support this.

Nope. No. They should get no public help at all, any more than the Klan should get public freebies. I'm not saying Boy Scouts=Klan, but bigotry is bigotry and should not be tolerated in our society. To some extent people must be free to have their own views on these things, and to associate with like minded individuals, this is part of our liberty, but they certainly don't deserve any handouts while doing so.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Me for example!

The Supreme Court has affirmed the BSA's right as a private organization to discriminate against boys who don't meet their expectations. I think it's a stupid thing to do, but if they want to entrench themselves in irrelevancy, they are free to do so. But as long as they discriminate, they should get zero support from local government or public schools. No free rent for meeting places or camping facilities, no recruitment events in schools, no police-sponsored explorer groups.

Bingo. I agree as a private org they can do what they want -- and I have the right to refuse to support them for whatever reason I want.

So far, so good.

However, too often the BSA wants to have it both ways--they want the "private" right to discriminate and be bigots, but they want "public" support in the ways you describe above.

While they are not necessarily morally equivalent, from a "public/private" perspective, I don't see any difference between the BSA and the KKK. So whenever they ask for something out of the public domain, just imagine it's the KKK doing the asking, and you should have clear moral guidance.
  • Azdak
    Options
    I don't know how I feel about this... on one hand, yes, they are a private organization... but on another, they are a group that has been heavily identified as a community and teaching about service within a community... Certianly, one could create a new group that functions similar to BSA but allows gays/lesbians/transgenders or girls/boys.... If people don't like what they stand for, then don't join them and they will eventually become so irrelavent that they will cease to exist... or at least not to the capacity....

In general, I do like the BSA/GSA... I may not care for their stances on social issues... But the core of what they are about is what I support... I wish we could get away from all this and get back to teaching kids how to be of service to thier communities again... regardless of who they are or where they come from.

I understand your position, and it's certainly a valid one for those who support the organization.

To me, however, when you rely on prejudice and ignorance to discriminate against other members of society, then you are no longer a "service" organization, regardless of how many old ladies you help across the street. You now exist primarily to promote an ideological agenda.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Hang on a second...this is about the boys as well? I assumed it was about the volunteer helpers/scout masters etc...

If the question is have boy scouts themselves been kicked for being gay, the answer is yes.

I believe the prohibition extends to professed atheists/agnositics as well.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Of course the irony of all this is that many now believe that Baden-Powell himself was both gay and a pedophile. Guess he didn't want the competition.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Hang on a second...this is about the boys as well? I assumed it was about the volunteer helpers/scout masters etc...

If the question is have boy scouts themselves been kicked for being gay, the answer is yes.

I believe the prohibition extends to professed atheists/agnositics as well.
    Yup yup, my way or the highway. They completely disavowed my religion years ago:

""In recent years, the Unitarian Universalist Association, which prides itself on being open-minded, has been sharply critical of the Boy Scouts.

In response, the loyal, friendly and cheerful Boy Scouts effectively excommunicated the Unitarians this summer, declaring that the church could no longer sponsor the Boy Scout "Religion in Life" badge, and that Boy Scouts could no longer wear the Unitarian Universalist emblem on their uniforms.""

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-07-24/news/9807240265_1_boy-scouts-scout-law-homosexual-members-and-leaders
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It's really sad that an organization such as the BSOA that does so much good for young men is so intolerant.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    **** the Boy Scouts. Sexuality was never a part of Boy Scouts before and there is nothing in their charter before until Homosexuals began feeling safe enough to come out. ANd these bigots are hiding behind god and religion, often quoting Leviticus from the old testament, a man whose rules were so harsh I am sure we would all be executed if he were still alive. **** them.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Well, I believe that private organizations should be able to make their own rules, so from that aspect, I have to agree. I don't at all think that it is a good idea, nor do I think it is a good idea for their organization as a whole. My boys weren't going to be in the scouts either way, and this affirms some of the many reasons why.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I love the USA. Freedom is a double edge sword. It grants something to someone, while at the same time legally denying someone something else. I like hearing that people are standing up for their beliefs. Regardless of what they are. If the organization is doing something you don't like, don't support it. I was a boy scout until I was 15 and thought I was too cool for it. Second Class was my rank. I learned lots of good skills and ethics. If my boys want to be scouts, they have my support. If you don't like the organization, don't join it.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I love the USA. Freedom is a double edge sword. It grants something to someone, while at the same time legally denying someone something else. I like hearing that people are standing up for their beliefs. Regardless of what they are. If the organization is doing something you don't like, don't support it. I was a boy scout until I was 15 and thought I was too cool for it. Second Class was my rank. I learned lots of good skills and ethics. If my boys want to be scouts, they have my support. If you don't like the organization, don't join it.

I agree. They are a private organization and have the right to make their rules/guidelines. If you disagree, don't join and don't support. If enough people stood strong for their beliefs the BSA would soon be no more. I think the bigger problem is people run off at the mouth about how terrible the BSA are then join and or buy their products. If they don't get the support they can't continue.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

I agree. They are a private organization and have the right to make their rules/guidelines. If you disagree, don't join and don't support. If enough people stood strong for their beliefs the BSA would soon be no more. I think the bigger problem is people run off at the mouth about how terrible the BSA are then join and or buy their products. If they don't get the support they can't continue.

Oh I think there are plenty of wealthy people with an agenda who would swoop in and save them if only to prop them up as martyrs. Let's not over estimate the power the average joe compared to someone with effectively unlimited means.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Oh I think there are plenty of wealthy people with an agenda who would swoop in and save them if only to prop them up as martyrs. Let's not over estimate the power the average joe compared to someone with effectively unlimited means.

I'm not worried about that. That used to be true about racist organizations, too. What I'm worried about is advancing society's intolerance for discrimination a step further than it has already advanced, and it's happening. Shamefully slowly, but it's happening. Less and less people are willing to tolerate discrimination against gays, just as few now will tolerate it against ethnicities, races, and religions.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It is a private organization so they get to make the choice, but it doesn't mean its the right choice, because it's not. I wish someone would start a boy scout program that did allow gays, that's what happened with girl scouts-they didn't exist and girls weren't allowed into boy scouts until someone created a seperate group. I would not put my son into boy scouts until the ban has been eradicated, I would not support a group that discriminates like that, it sickens me.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It is a private organization so they get to make the choice, but it doesn't mean its the right choice, because it's not. I wish someone would start a boy scout program that did allow gays, that's what happened with girl scouts-they didn't exist and girls weren't allowed into boy scouts until someone created a seperate group. I would not put my son into boy scouts until the ban has been eradicated, I would not support a group that discriminates like that, it sickens me.

It's funny that you mention that. Well, what about little boys who awnt to join girl scouts? I remember reading a story about a little Denver boy who wanted to join the girl scouts. They should just make a "Gay Scout" (litterally) and get it over with. People complain and complain. But if someone, with unlimited sources, and for the cause (like all these rich celeberties) would support or start something like this, the world will be a happier place for some. I say, those who agree with it should put their money where their mouth is, or it's all talk.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

It's funny that you mention that. Well, what about little boys who awnt to join girl scouts? I remember reading a story about a little Denver boy who wanted to join the girl scouts. They should just make a "Gay Scout" (litterally) and get it over with. People complain and complain. But if someone, with unlimited sources, and for the cause (like all these rich celeberties) would support or start something like this, the world will be a happier place for some. I say, those who agree with it should put their money where their mouth is, or it's all talk.

How about simply "Scouts?" No gender bias whatsoever.

I agree with RoadDog--they're a private organization, and no matter how much I disagree with them, they're free to do what they want. However, if it is as others have said and that they receive public "Freebies"...then that's another issue. Reminds me of how in my town, the police stop traffic to let church members out of certain churches. Everyone else can be late for work, events, or be held up in traffic...but Baptist church members? Nah. Free reign of the road.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    My boys have been involved with Scouts for 9 and 6 years. The anti gay part is on the part of the organization top leadership but individual troops vary as much as 1 Catholic church can vary from another and can vary from the top ranks, more-so actually. My oldest had a pack leader in cub scouts who was an atheist. My youngest had a pack leader who was more agnostic but had no real use for organized religion. Their troop now is sponsored by an Episcopal church - you know, the ones who just decided to allow gays to marry in their church. Aside from being sponsored by them though there is no religious aspect to anything they do. They focus on skills and camping and activity and helping the community.

When we first moved here I looked into several different local troops. One was very religiously oriented to the point that they expected the entire troop to go to the church that sponsored them every week. When I said that we don't do church I was looked at like I had 2 heads. Needless to say we didn't join that troop. When we went to the current troop I asked about church involvement. They said that the church across the street helps sponsor them and they do some projects t help them in exchange. I asked "So will it be a problem if we don't go to church and aren't religious?" The scoutmaster just laughed and replied "I see you checked out Troop ____ before coming here! :laugh: No, we are about helping the boys become men, teaching them to help others, teaching them skills they just won't learn in school, and letting them have fun while doing it. No one cares if you are Christian or Muslim or Buddhist or atheist here."
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    My boys have been involved with Scouts for 9 and 6 years. The anti gay part is on the part of the organization top leadership but individual troops vary as much as 1 Catholic church can vary from another and can vary from the top ranks, more-so actually. My oldest had a pack leader in cub scouts who was an atheist. My youngest had a pack leader who was more agnostic but had no real use for organized religion. Their troop now is sponsored by an Episcopal church - you know, the ones who just decided to allow gays to marry in their church. Aside from being sponsored by them though there is no religious aspect to anything they do. They focus on skills and camping and activity and helping the community.

When we first moved here I looked into several different local troops. One was very religiously oriented to the point that they expected the entire troop to go to the church that sponsored them every week. When I said that we don't do church I was looked at like I had 2 heads. Needless to say we didn't join that troop. When we went to the current troop I asked about church involvement. They said that the church across the street helps sponsor them and they do some projects t help them in exchange. I asked "So will it be a problem if we don't go to church and aren't religious?" The scoutmaster just laughed and replied "I see you checked out Troop ____ before coming here! :laugh: No, we are about helping the boys become men, teaching them to help others, teaching them skills they just won't learn in school, and letting them have fun while doing it. No one cares if you are Christian or Muslim or Buddhist or atheist here."

And the most liberal, accepting, open-minded troop could come knocking at my door trying to sell popcorn and I wouldn't purchase anything from them thanks to the organization's stance. If they don't like that, they can join another organization or stop coming around my door. I don't require their assistance with anything. Their good deeds don't shield them from the organization's failings.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

And the most liberal, accepting, open-minded troop could come knocking at my door trying to sell popcorn and I wouldn't purchase anything from them thanks to the organization's stance. If they don't like that, they can join another organization or stop coming around my door. I don't require their assistance with anything. Their good deeds don't shield them from the organization's failings.
    That's fine. I have absolutely no problem with that whatsoever. I only buy from my kids' troop and only because I know their personal views. I don't expect that anyone else would know that or that even if they did they would care.

My only real point was that just because the heads of the organization act a certain way that doesn't mean that the individuals or smaller units necessarily agree. I don't believe that every individual Catholic church thinks it's acceptable to cover up the priest scandals. I don't believe that every fraternity on Penn State thinks covering up those scandals is acceptable. And I don't believe that every individual troop agrees with the BSA stance against gays. I was lucky enough to find one such troop. I wish the BSA as a whole would come into the 21st century but until they do at least some individual troops are already there.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    That is just terrible all around.....