Craving Ice Cream?

Options
Freeze Bananas and blend them!! Tastes JUST LIKE ICE CREAM!!!

Replies

• teacherinorlando
    teacherinorlando Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I saw this on a cooking show and tried it. It really does taste like ice cream. Try it with a few mini chocolate chips or peanut buter chips...delicious!
  • Liquidfeet
    Liquidfeet Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)
  • gvroxie
    gvroxie Posts: 10
    Options
    I crave ice cream and popsicles in the hot summer weather. I buy Sweet Freedom Blue Bunny ice creams... it's sugar free!!! I alos love sugar free fudgsicles for my 'chocolate' fix. But for little to no calories and to have an unlimited amount of them... I make homemade popsicles using dollar store popsicle makers and use CrystalLight. About 24 oz. of water and 1-1/2 individual packets makes 8 popsicles. Pink lemonade is my favorite.
  • alyssa_nicole
    Options
    I tried this before and it tasted WAAAY too much like bananas for me. I like the flavor, but I don't LOVE it. Maybe they weren't ripe enough? Not sure.
  • pbhenshaw
    pbhenshaw Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is a really good alternative:
    1 cup of frozen blueberries in a bowl, 1 packet of sweetener, 1/2 cup skim milk and 1 tsp vanilla flavoring. Let sit for maybe 3-5 minutes and ENJOY! The ingredients I used came out to 123 calories and VERY GOOD!
  • alyssa_nicole
    Options
    This is a really good alternative:
    1 cup of frozen blueberries in a bowl, 1 packet of sweetener, 1/2 cup skim milk and 1 tsp vanilla flavoring. Let sit for maybe 3-5 minutes and ENJOY! The ingredients I used came out to 123 calories and VERY GOOD!

YUM! Would it work with Almond milk?
  • pbhenshaw
    Options
    I'm almost certain it would, my niece does this with regular milk, but I use Skim with everything and it is very surprisingly DELISH!! If using the Almond Milk, you probably could even omit the sweetener as well as the vanilla flavoring.

Please post your results and how it turns out for you! I just had a bowl for my evening snack : )
  • alyssa_nicole
    Options
    I'm almost certain it would, my niece does this with regular milk, but I use Skim with everything and it is very surprisingly DELISH!! If using the Almond Milk, you probably could even omit the sweetener as well as the vanilla flavoring.

Please post your results and how it turns out for you! I just had a bowl for my evening snack : )

I definitely will try it soon. Probably tomorrow night. I'll let you know :)
  • waltzie
    waltzie Posts: 12
    Options
    I saw that too and I'm going to try it. I freeze my bananas when they start getting a little too brown to eat anyway so I always have some on hand for smoothies so this will be great!
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I make a sorbet doing the same thing. Frozen fruit, vanilla, splash of milk (or juice), your choice of sweetner (optional). The kids love it. Just made a mango sorbet with a splash of coconut milk and vanilla, no sugar.... it was good.
  • pbhenshaw
    Options
    Just quick note, I've tried using Blackberries, Peaches and Strawberries trying to see what turns out best and for my own personal taste none works as well as the Frozen Blueberries. Don't ask me why unless it is just them being the perfect size/shape and everything just works!

Again, it's so simple but soooo AMAZING : )

1 cup frozen blueberries
    1 sweetener packet
    1 tsp vanilla flavoring
    1/2 cup skim milk

That's it! please post your results and comments
  • AshleighsMamma
    AshleighsMamma Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to try this! It will be a good healthy treat for my toddler, too!
  • 4mybabys
    Options
    I found this chocolate ice cream recipe made from banana's on Pinterest. http://www.52kitchenadventures.com/2011/03/23/two-ingredient-chocolate-ice-cream/
  • carriparton
    carriparton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I tried this before and it tasted WAAAY too much like bananas for me. I like the flavor, but I don't LOVE it. Maybe they weren't ripe enough? Not sure.

They have to be pretty ripe. The first time I tried it it tasted way too much like bananas. They need to start turning a little brown before you slice them up and put them in the freezer.

http://experimentinginthkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/07/ice-cream-thats-right-people-ice-cream.html
  • karenlquiroz
    Options
    That sounds awesome! Now I have to go buy a blender!
  • LisaMarie_13
    Options
    I also saw that you can take a frozen banana, frozen strawberries, one or two tablespoons of coconut milk and a teaspoon of vanilla extract and blend it all together in a food processor (bananas and strawberries first) until it's nice and thick and it's rather delicious. I haven't tried it yet but definitely want to.
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    I use plain unsweetened yogurt and blend with frozen berries. It gets thick like soft serve ice cream. I like it plain but if you dont like the
    tangy yogurt you can add a bit of honey or sweetener.
  • jdk322
    jdk322 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I crave ice cream and popsicles in the hot summer weather. I buy Sweet Freedom Blue Bunny ice creams... it's sugar free!!! I alos love sugar free fudgsicles for my 'chocolate' fix. But for little to no calories and to have an unlimited amount of them... I make homemade popsicles using dollar store popsicle makers and use CrystalLight. About 24 oz. of water and 1-1/2 individual packets makes 8 popsicles. Pink lemonade is my favorite.

I do the same thing with chocolate sugar free/fat free instant pudding (any flavor works). Sure works great when a craving for something frozen and/or chocolate strikes!
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Schwan's Trim Fudge Bars....only 50 calories per bar. They really satisfy me when I want ice cream.
  • fallintomyworld
    fallintomyworld Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Breyer's has a no sugar added fat free ice cream that is 80 calories for 1/2 cup