new to raw (and mfp)

hi there! I'm brand new to this site and stumbled across it while looking for fitness tips. It's really awesome to see that there is such a supporting community to raw foodists.

I am brand new to raw. Today marks my 6th day of being 99% raw (I enjoy the occasional cocoa roasted almond), and I have never felt so alive. I don't even feel this energetic after my 2nd cup of coffee-- I never thought I could achieve this without caffeine, sugar, or some other sort of energy booster.

I had been working out and eating "right" for some time now, and there were results at first, but then I plateaued and actually gained a pound back. Extremely frustrating when I had been eating fewer and fewer calories, and working out harder and harder. Then I stumbled across a few raw sites and I was intrigued. I started a 10 day raw diet as a challenge to myself. I'm definitely looking forward to incorporating the rawness into my life permanently.

Any tips? Books? Websites? I love to cook, so recipes (I don't have a juicer or a dehydrator... yet) would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• hello my name is andrea and i have been a high raw person for a very long time. my #1 tip is eat lots of fruit to get your calories. i eat fruit all day long and eat veggies at night. there is a lot of raw vegans on youtube you can watch their videos and get great ideas from them. i recently got the "80 10 10 diet" book it taught me a lot. so that is the book i suggest and for websites 30bananasaday.com goneraw.com rawfoodrecipes.com i hope you love this new journey in health :happy:
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Welcome!!! I've been trying to go completely raw for awhile, taking it one step at a time. My favorite 'cook' books are "I Am Grateful' and 'Green for Life' and 'Fresh' though I'm always looking for new ideas online. I learn a lot from other people too so I look forward to seeing what you're doing.
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Hey! Welcome! Someone on this site recommended this site - therawtarian.com, and it is my new favorite. Everything is really easy and delicious. Unbelievably so. I haven't found any cookbooks that I really love, because I'm really busy/lazy, but I have used Living on Live Foods a few times and the raw recipes in Brendan Brazier's Thrive.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Welcome to the raw world!

On youtube check out "Fullyraw Kristina", "durianrider", and I like "rahbrahs" videos, they feature a lot of wise raw foodists.

3 books that I like a lot are "the 80/10/10 diet", "the complete idiot's guide to eating raw" and Mimi Kirk's "live raw".

I have recently started my own Facebook fanpage where I will write articles/ provide info on living 100% raw, nutrition, fitness, travel, etc. Check it out at http://www.icallthisliving.com and "like" to follow!

Good luck!