Weekly Chat: July 17-22

Options
2»

Replies

• SaraGrace82
    SaraGrace82 Posts: 232
    Options
    Hi!

My Fitbit arrived today! Oh what fun! I am really impressed with how small it is. I just stuck it in my bra and then forgot about it. I am excited to see how many steps I take. Basically, I just bought the world's fanciest pedometer.

Emma - Does MFP automatically adjust your daily calories? I linked the two accounts. It seems to be giving me an average for how much it thinks I will burn today but it seems a little low. Maybe it will go up after it gets a days worth of data?

Jill - I am trying to get back into things too! You are not alone.

Debbie - I did make it to the gym last night! Did some getting back into the swing of things cardio. We were going to lift tonight but I have a friend visiting SF and this is the only night we can catch up. But I am meeting a (different) friend for walking today so that's something! And I have midday gym plans for tomorrow.

Tomorrow evening some close friends arrive to stay! They have been talking for years about moving out here and now they finally are! It's very exciting. :-) I will need to be extra good tomorrow to make room for the Indian food we'll be having for dinner. We've only lived in California for two years but I feel like in the last month we have doubled our friend base. It's crazy but good crazy.

I need to go deal with the 50lbs of cat litter my friend just had shipped to my house! No it was not a prank... though it sure does sound like it. I think the stress of moving fried his brain. So he just ordered litter through Amazon so that the cats would have "facilities" when they arrive tomorrow. But, seriously, 50lbs!!!

Ah well.

Later,
    Sara Grace
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options

My Fitbit arrived today! Oh what fun! I am really impressed with how small it is. I just stuck it in my bra and then forgot about it. I am excited to see how many steps I take. Basically, I just bought the world's fanciest pedometer.

Emma - Does MFP automatically adjust your daily calories? I linked the two accounts. It seems to be giving me an average for how much it thinks I will burn today but it seems a little low. Maybe it will go up after it gets a days worth of data?

It is impressive how small it is! So far I've taken to clipping it on the bottom edge of my shirt. That way I can check my stats (obsessively) throughout the day. It's not only the world's fanciest pedometer, but it's the first watch I've owned in a LONG time that I'm not allergic to :bigsmile:

As far as linking it to the MFP account...it *will* automatically adjust your calories if you are pretty active during the day by entering a Fitbit adjustment in your exercise log (for instance, I haven't logged any exercise today, but the Fitbit has given me 159 extra calories...apparently even sitting around doing mostly office work it thinks I'm moving more and burning more calories than I estimated for myself on MFP).

The adjustment will change throughout the day, so if you're super active running errands in the morning, but then sit all afternoon, it might decrease or go away. It also seems to go away if I manually log exercise using my HRM. The Fitbit software is pretty smart, though - if you use the stopwatch feature when you exercise, then enter the exercise start time and minutes into MFP when you're done, it will know that that new exercise entry corresponds to the exercise you timed on the Fitbit, so it won't double log your workout (this is actually pretty cool because I can override the Fitbit calorie estimate for the exercise period with whatever my HRM tells me).
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Hi all! Been a pretty busy week for me, but I feel like I'm finally starting to get back on track. So far I have got all workouts in as planned and I have actually really logged everything I have eaten. I'm a bit surprised that even with going to happy hour last night I still ended up at my TDEE so no big overages! That may change by the weekend but we shall see.

So I'm sort of considering taking a break from MFP, like maybe just taking a week off logging. Has anyone ever tried that? I mean, there has to be a point where we can stop using this right? Sort of a test I suppose.

Had a great NSV last week. I bought a pair of size 6 capris from NY&Co. 6!!! Now I know that's not the same as the size 6 I could fit into at Express when I was in college but still! I've been a solid 8/10 for the past, I don't know, two years now? Clearly the lifting is doing something even if I'm not losing weight!
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Well, everything came back normal for my test, so that's good. If it persists I guess I'll have to see a GI doc, so I'll wait and see how the next few days go.

Ellie - are you trying to lose still? Taking a break isn't a bad idea, a 'test' if you will, but if you are still trying to lose you should probably have a definite beginning and end date in mind for the break. I think you are supposed to do a 1-2 week diet break at least every 3 months anyway.

My daughter came back last night from her 2+ week vacation with my parents, it was so good to see her! We went to bed a bit late, so I didn't get up this am for a run, thinking I could go at lunch, but now I have a meeting. I'm only supposed to do 2 miles today, so maybe I can squeeze it in somewhere, otherwise I'll just let it go, since my body could use a break this week. Yoga tonight should feel good though.
  • Dedee36
    Dedee36 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello! I had a busy day yesterday and I totally blew my calorie count out of the water! :ohwell: I had a good breakfast and then my friend and I ate chinese for lunch at 1... but by 4 when I eat super at work I just had ice tea. When I got home my husband needed my help in the hay field, I didn't get back in until midnight then I had chips and salsa :huh:

This weekend I have a birthday party for my little niece, Family gathering, in my family, always means eating alot of good fatting foods. I'm not a emotional eater at all but get me in a crowd having a good time and let the yummies be munched.
  • ellie78
    Options

Ellie - are you trying to lose still? Taking a break isn't a bad idea, a 'test' if you will, but if you are still trying to lose you should probably have a definite beginning and end date in mind for the break. I think you are supposed to do a 1-2 week diet break at least every 3 months anyway.

I am still trying to lose, but I've more or less been on a permanent plateau attributed to any number of common causes for last year and a half. I was thinking just a week, and not a break from eating healthy, just a break from logging and worrying about the calories and macros and all that. A test, like you said. I don't know, I just need some type of jump start here and I thought maybe a little break would get me motivated again!
  • ellie78
    Options
    Oh, and glad your test results came back okay Debbie!
  • coreyisaacs
    Options
    Debbie - Glad to hear everything came back okay.

Today was the day I came in under my calories, but perhaps did not make the best choices. Breakfast was good; lunch and dinner, not so much. I get up every morning to workout and have some time to myself. This week, however, each and every morning my wonderful girls were up with me. Then at work, a time I usually have at least 30 minutes of some quiet time, our temp has decided to eat with me and chat it up. (Honestly, I'd rather relax and read some of my homework.) Then come home to the family and enjoy it until I go to bed. So I just needed some quiet time in the truck at lunch, which led to Wendy's: my fast food choice. I did have a good time just driving around listening to music. So peaceful! Then come home and we went out to eat at the Caboose (local joint). Great food and some really healthy choices, just didn't want to make them. I didn't eat the deep fried chimi smothered in cheese, but settled on the quesadillas.

Just having one of those days where you need to relax the diet a bit and enjoy it. Regardless, I still logged it. That's something I'll never stop doing. Also, the kick !#@ workout this morning really helped!!!
  • Leeloominai01
    Leeloominai01 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I seem to have hurt my hip flexor on the left so I guess the broken treadmill is good timing :(

I'll have to work on core strength now which is also very much needed (after 2 c-sections) so I guess my focus for the next week will be on that.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Have any of you tried overnight refrigerator oatmeal? I made up my first batch last night (blueberry maple) and OMG nom nom nom it is so yummy! I used frozen blueberries, and some of them are a little bit of a weird texture (I'm sure fresh would be better), but otherwise this is a definite winner of a recipe. I will definitely be trying some other flavors. For anyone not familiar with this refrigerator oatmeal phenomenon:

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

Debbie - glad your test results came back OK, hope you're feeling better soon!

Corey - sounds like a pretty tasty food day, way to keep it under the calorie limit (sometimes you just need to throw the other rules out the window and just enjoy)
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'm really gonna have to try this oatmeal . . . perhaps an expirement for the weekend. I will tell you that I have a recipe for protein oatmeal banana panakes that is ridiculously good . . . like eating banana bread and incredibly filling. I never need a mid-morning snack when I have them for breakfast.

Anyone else grateful for Friday to finally be here? I got wrapped up in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night, eventhough I've seen it before and find it very unsettling . . . it's a good movie. Fortunately there's one scene that sends me running, so I was able to break away at that point. Once I got to bed I had trouble falling asleep and then we had CRAZY wild storms last night. A huge thunder clap woke me from a sound sleep and scared me half to death. The house shook for a good 20 seconds. Needless to say, when my alarm went off this morning I hit snooze . . . or so I thought. Woke up again 20 minutes before I needed to be on the road. :tongue: Spent just enough extra time to make a protein iced coffee and ran out the door. No lunch, no snacks. Fortunately I keep instant oatmeal, almonds, peanut butter, and rice cakes in my desk but I still need to go out for lunch now. :ohwell: Perhaps a salad from the grocery deli . . . we'll see.

Soooo sleepy and I have a headache. My point is, quittin' time just can't get here soon enough! (I've already worked a Shock Top Raspberry Wheat in my diary for tonight) :drinker:
  • shorty313
    Options
    I make that oatmeal nearly every day, the blueberry maple is my fave. Not a big fan of the apple cinnamon, the rest are good. I use fresh blueberries :smile:

Last night was better, I'm down to about 2 hours of stomach pains from about 8 hours when this all started.

Headed down to the shore tonight. We are receiving much needed rain today but I hope tomorrow is sunny!
  • PJYoung2012
    PJYoung2012 Posts: 191
    Options
    Good evening to the good people of Thirty Somethings from here in that most United of Kingdoms I call home. Thank heavens it's Friday. I'm having a rest night tonight. Have managed 3 gym sessions this week and plenty of cycling. I was feeling a bit tired today although that might have more to do with getting up at 4am to be at work for 5. So the feet have gone up and I'm getting used to the couch again. Nice to have a quiet evening. Listening to some music and doing a little reading. Had a really nice dinner of Sea Bass with broccoli, carrots and new potatoes tonight. Feel comfortably full and the one thing usually making me feel crappy, my brain is at peace. Have been watching the horrible events at the Batman cinema screening in Denver. Really just an awful situation that makes me grateful for what I have in life.
    Going to go and see the new Batman film myself tomorrow night. My better half is staying at her place this weekend so I'm going to get my inner geek on. Might treat myself to a meal at Wagamamas afterwards. I'm due a treat and theirs are low in calories and high in taste (their chilli squid is to die for). Will hopefully get a hike in on Sunday in prep for 3 Peaks plus I have a catch up gym session to fit in over the weekend.

Hope everyone's doing ok and enjoys their Friday :smile:
  • saihtnyc
    saihtnyc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Corey - that's been my problem this week, kids getting up at least an hour earlier than usual. It's been tough lately, I admire that you still get in the workouts with the busy home life like mine!

I'll have to check out the oatmeal. I have never tried Chia Seeds but I do eat regular Quaker oatmeal a lot and like greek yogurt and fruit, so it seems like a winning combination.

I feel gross after a rather heavy lunch. It's a good reminder that my salads of late are a much better lunch choice than the hot food buffet line at the Canteen downstairs in my building (they only have 2 hot choices and 2 sides).
  • coreyisaacs
    Options
    So I'm sort of considering taking a break from MFP, like maybe just taking a week off logging. Has anyone ever tried that? I mean, there has to be a point where we can stop using this right? Sort of a test I suppose.
  • coreyisaacs
    Options
    I haven't been doing this as long as some, but I'm not considered skipping logging until I hit my goal weight. I think the beauty of this program, and for fitness in general, is to do what fits you. Taking a break can be a way to recharge and refresh.

NOTE: I'm trying to learn how to do the quote thing, so if anybody can help me that would be great.
  • saihtnyc
    saihtnyc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing this as long as some, but I'm not considered skipping logging until I hit my goal weight. I think the beauty of this program, and for fitness in general, is to do what fits you. Taking a break can be a way to recharge and refresh.

NOTE: I'm trying to learn how to do the quote thing, so if anybody can help me that would be great.

When you hit "quote" at the bottom right of the post you want to quote, the box will come up with the person's words inside the brackets that say quote. You have to make sure to post your post after the "/quote", which ends the quoting function.
  • shorty313
    Options
    So I've decided to go 2 weeks dairy and gluten free to see if I can figure out what is causing my stomach pains. It's REALLY hard to do both at once, I'm way under for calories today. I have to go stock up on fruits and such tomorrow to make it through. And some egg whites to make egg muffins for breakfast, that's the biggest struggle for dairy AND gluten free. Wish me luck!