Coconut Flour

Options
Meadows18
Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
Today, I searched a few stores, that were mentioned online, ie, Trader Joe's & Ocean State Job Lot, and was unsuccessful finding coconut flour. I stopped at an Asian market and was directed to coconut powder. Can this be used instead of the flour?

Replies

• zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I found it at Whole Foods-- no experience with coconut powder though.
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I did finally find it at the Vitamin Shoppe in town. I will check out Whole Foods next time which is also in town. Thank you.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Coconut flour is simply dried, ground up coconut meat. It is actually made from the leftovers of coconut milk! The debris if you will. Like making almond milk, the coconut milk will have some leftover bits. This is coconut flour. Iy is like fine dessicated coconut but definitely not powder, this will absorb moisture and soften but will hold texture. Coconut flour is flour made from finely ground coconut that has some of the oil and moisture removed to give it a texture similar to that of wheat flour. The flour has little coconut flavor and odor, so it can be used to make baked goods ranging from cookies and cakes to pancakes and muffins. The flour absorbs a lot of moisture, which can make it difficult to work with. It doesn't work well as a direct substitute for other baking flours; however, many recipes are specifically tailored to coconut flour.

Coconut powder also known as coconut milk powder is basically a fine ground coconut flour. It will dissolve in water and coconut flour stays in tiny little piece. Sometimes it is as fine as bread flour. The powder can be used for making desserts or added to curries or chutney. But best economical mixed with water to create coconut milk. It can be inappropriate if you're baking. Usually found in Asian/Indian shoppes.

Coconut flour is hard to find in many places, including where I live. Most likely you’ll be buying coconut flour online or from a specialty grocer. But it isn't widely avalible. and it's expensive but it can be easily made using unsweetened coconut or desicated coconut.
    Here is a link how to make coconut flour.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4xIS1SyZSg
  • Talialala
    Talialala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    THANKS FOR THAT LINK! Holy crap i've now learned how to make my own coconut flour :) saving money baby!!
  • crissyrox
    crissyrox Posts: 94
    Options
    I found mine at Central Market, but so excited to try and make my own! Thanks for that link!
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I live about an hour from the nearest store that I can buy coconut flour at, so I usually end up ordering from Amazon. I might have to stock up and buy a little more than I usually would, but with Prime it's at my door in 2 days. Not perfect, but convenient!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i found it at every grocery store we have around here.. i was shocked!

however, i have yet to use it LOL
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I ordered mine from Nuts.com

Good price and it came in quick - also got a few other things that are hard to find in stores (or more expensive in stores).
  • concerto3
    concerto3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I second Nuts.com (Formerly Nutsonline.com)

I order all my nut flours, and various other goodies from there, (nuts, seeds etc) it's the best place I've found unsweetened, unsulphured coconut too, it tastes great and fresh every time, no more guessing at store bags when they are usually stale! They ship super fast (I'm in Canada, it takes about a week!) and the shipping is super reasonable as are the prices.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I love this stuff... Grocery stores are slowly starting to cater for those with alternative nutrition requirements but they're not all the way there yet. I have found HEB here in TX has an amazing array of paleo friendly stuff but Whole Foods or Natural Grocers was my go-to previously. Definately want to try making my own! What an epic link!!! Might check out Nuts.com to see if it's cheaper there too....
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    you can find a bunch of brands on Amazon.com, a lot of them with free shipping :)