Have I been jilted?

Options
I am 5 months out of RNY and consuming 1200-1600 calories. My weight loss is about a pound a week. I've read around that I am to still be on an 800 calorie diet. My nutritonist says 1200-1600 others ( non medical) say 800. Who is right?

Replies

• risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am almost 6mo out. My nutritionist, whom I still see every 6 weeks, always checks on my protein, fiber and water consumption. She told me that consuming near 70g of protein and 20-25g fiber a day will likely ensure my calories calories consumed are between 800-1200. If I get hungry, I should snack on high protein snacks. I usually exercise 3x week and try to keep my calories below 1000. I average 1-2 pound loss a week and I also drink 64oz decaf green tea to keep my metabolism from getting sluggish However, despite this management, I can easily plateau when something happens - like changes in work schedule. Right now, I've been on a less than a pound a week loss for the past 4 weeks and my eating/drinking/exercise has not changed - only my work schedule. Remember, the slower it comes off, the longer it stays off. Good luck.
  • jlynnet
    jlynnet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    its true that the slower it comes of the better. When we lose weight too fast our body thinks its starving (well it is!) and our metabolism slows down. Even if you are only losing @ 1lb week don't forget that the surgery itself offers health benefits. There are studies that show that the RNY surgery "reverses" diabetes right after surgery. That alone for me was a big deal.

My surgery was 9 years ago and I went from 389 to 250 or so at a year out of surgery... but then stayed between 250 and 220 for the next eight years! I've just lost 48 lbs through hard work and exercise and I am 10 lbs from my goal of 190 (I am 6')

*Bump* you're doing great! Talk to your nutritionist, your surgeons team, ETC. and have faith

Jen
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Most RNY people on the message boards consume that amount to maintain so I'm really shocked you are being told to consume so much so early out. Honestly, I was not able to eat more than 800-900 at that point, which I think is typical. You should be losing at least 10 pounds a month right now.
  • Laura8603
    Options
    its true that the slower it comes of the better. When we lose weight too fast our body thinks its starving (well it is!) and our metabolism slows down. Even if you are only losing @ 1lb week don't forget that the surgery itself offers health benefits.

Jen

I do not believe "the slower the better". We only have 18-24 months to make the most of our RNY before the honeymoon is over. I lost 170 pounds in 14 months and have kept it off (I lost 30 pre-op).
  • Butlavie
    Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I just saw my dietitian yesterday and here were the major things she wanted me to focus on:
    1. my meal should last about 30 min and drinks 30 minutes apart from my meals so that I dont stretch my pouch
    2. focus on protein first
    3. take your daily vitamins and minerals which include
    vit d--calcium--iron--multi vit--b12--vit c
    4 try to get in 64 ounces of fluid
    5 exercise 5 times a week for 30 min

I tried to remember the most important...I average about 30 lbs so far since May 14..diabetes gone..which was the reason I had the surgery. I am very happy that I chose to do this..it is a lifestyle change in more ways than one..stay focused and determined!!
  • Butlavie
    Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh also dont try to eat everything..listen to your body its ok ..eat every couple of hours something that is high in protein. I had stopped loosing for a lil bit and was told because my body was starving but now that I feed it at least meals and 1 snack its coming off. Dont only judge pounds..ive lost 2 dress sizes !!!!!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Between shakes and food I am averaging about 850-1050 cal/day. My dr is fine with that and is mostly concerned with my protein intake. I just go by what my body tells me that it can handle. Some days I can eat a little more..some days i need to rely on shakes more because I am not having a happy pouch day.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm only a couple months out but like others here my nutritionist focuses on protein and water intake more than calories. I average about 550-650 at this stage and am comfortable there but can't really imagine eating 1200 which for me would be normal size meals in only 6 months. If you are still losing though and can eat at that calorie goal I suppose there is no harm, it's your body and you have your doctor's support.
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    My nutritionist wants me to keep my calories as low as possible while meeting my protein requirements.
  • Laura8603
    Options
    I will also add that as time goes by, you will be able to eat larger quantities. I worry when that time comes you will eat a whole lot more than you are eating now.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I am 8 months out and my nut said I can have 900-1000. If I exercise really hard I can sometimes reach 1000. Most days i am between 800-900.
  • ashleydavidmom
    Options
    I have like an iron stomach. Nothing bothers me I can eat anything.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds cliche, but really try to focus on stopping eating when you are satisfied, which is before you feel full. Like a lot of the posters above, my surgeon told me to focus mostly on the water intake (64 oz) and protein (60 - 80, not much more or risk kidney problems). I am 5 months out and usually eat about 800 a day and I dont eat my exercise calories. About a cup of food per meal too! Slow and steady my friend!!