What is a typical amount of reset weight gain?

Options
inlander
inlander Posts: 339 Member
I'm curious. I haven't started eating at TDEE yet, but I am starting soon. I'd like to be able to plan this around a time where I don't have to fit into my regular clothes.

Thanks!

Replies

• Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm end of week 6 & I'm up 9lbs. If I had to do it again, I'd wait till after shorts/swimsuit season..very depressing !
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I gained 7lbs total on a nine wk reset.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    i'm just starting week 5 and i've gained only 4 non-water pounds. But I have this enormous stomach and my jeans are really tight because my legs have gotten bigger. Not sure how I can look bigger and feel bigger but nothing on the scale.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    6 weeks 6lbs.
  • OriginalWhatTheHelen
    OriginalWhatTheHelen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    8 weeks (early February - late March, 2012) and 6 pounds for me. I'm back up to TDEE+ a few hundred for the next 4 weeks. I'll let you know.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I gained 6+ pounds. Now at cut and haven't lost anything consistently.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Started EM2WL 12 weeks ago at Cut (-15%) and gained 8 pounds in 9 weeks.

Started a Reset 3 weeks ago and have gained another 8 pounds in 3 weeks.
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    I did 8 weeks reset and gained 15 lbs.. but I've lost 7 lbs already (2nd week going to be 3rd week this Saturday). It is mostly water really. I am so happy I've done this reset-- it has helped me mentally. I'm much happier!
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This is my 4th week in and up 6 lbs from start. I will cut next week as I started upping my calories when I joined this group and then decided to do a reset after about 6 weeks eating TDEE-15% and not losing one pound. Hoping the cut works and I get under the 170's.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Lowest MFP weight was 144, and I started EM2WL around March. I ate at TDEE -15, and weight wasn't moving down, but up instead. Did that until May, and started a reset May 25th. I'm approaching 8 weeks on reset. Now I'm 154-157, so I'm up 10-13 pounds since starting EM2WL. I'm doing an extra week or two at reset, because I'm going on vacation, and it will be my last hurrah at eating TDEE. Probably won't even track that week, because I won't have internet or cell phone service. It's such a mental game. I'm kinda ticked that instead of being 10 lbs from goal, I'm now 20 lbs. from goal. I know the scale lies. I'm excited to get back to the cut, and a more regular lifting routine. Yes, summer is a sucky time to feel bloated, flabby, and just frustrated at carrying this tire around my middle. It's a daily struggle not to go back to 1400 calorie days.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I thought the reset was to get your metabolism working. What's the point of eating so many calories that you gain weight?
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I thought the reset was to get your metabolism working. What's the point of eating so many calories that you gain weight?

Because if you have been eating so very few calories for a long time, your metabolism has essentiall;y "shut down" and burns at a lower level. So by doing a Reset and increasing your cals up to your maintenance level, you are "teaching" your metabolism to burn at a higher, correct level... and then it can burn the fat more efficiently and you can eat more food while doing it..

A reset is neccessary for a lot of us who came from very low cal diets.. so gaining weight during a reset is normal.. but usually falls of quite quickly after you cut again

OP - I am a few days left of Reset, but currently gained 8 pounds from my lowest... 4 pounds frommy EMTLW heaviest
  • grkathena82
    grkathena82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this question! I am up about 5 pounds and in week 7 of the reset. I got on the scale yesterday and did NOT like the number. However, reading other peoples responses doesn't make me feel so bad. I also sort of wish I waited until after the summer to start, but I did not want to delay the process.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    9th week of reset and up about 2 lbs (total)~
  • Settuccini
    Settuccini Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm on week two and feel like I've just started to gain a bit. I feel like I may be up 3-4 lbs. Although I'm refusing to weigh myself. :P A lot of it is being so bloated. The difference between my stomach at night and morning is kind of big. Granted, my legs have gotten bigger and so have my arms. I have been lifting weights, though! So maybe it's muscle swelling?! :D

Yeah... Just trying to make myself feel better. This is a huge mental game. I'm constantly thinking it won't work for me, but the thing that's keeping me going is it just MIGHT work. And 750 calories a day is impossible to maintain for the rest of my life.

/rant
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    I just finished my 8-week reset and gained about 7 lbs. My measurements also went up slightly, but I am still fitting into all of my clothes without a problem. During the reset I was also lifting heavy, so I am sure that this contributed to the weight gain. The funny thing is, I weighed myself this morning since I am now starting my cut, and I am now basically where I was when I started MFP 2+ years ago.

However, I am smaller, I am fitter, and I am so much happier than I was then! It is so refreshing to recognize that the scale doesn't have the power over me that it once did. Hurrah!!!!
  • tokidoki
    tokidoki Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'll be starting my 4th week of reset on Wednesday and I haven't gained anything. Before reset I was eating my cut and bouncing between 179 and 182 so I upped my calories and am still doing the same. Does this mean I need to increase calories more?