Not having any weight loss

Options
mdelcott
mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
I recently gained about 20 pounds after quitting smoking...I was working out like a mad woman and my weight just kept climbing so I decided to try low carb... In the first 6 weeks I lost 19 pounds of that freshly put on weight. Which it fantastic, how ever I would still like to lose around 30 more to hit my goal...These last 6 weeks I have lost NOTHING I bounce around the same 2 pounds weekly I will be up 2 then down 2 etc...I still workout about 6 days a week and I am very active during the day.. Could it be that my carbs are too High..I keep my net carbs between 25-35... I am open to any advice, I am starting to feel my motivation (for exercise) slip due to lack of results. And this is not something that I want to happen , I want to get back to how I felt when I first started low carb and was seeing results weekly..Thank you

Replies

• mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on quitting smoking! I did it 18 months ago and it was the best thing I ever did!! Keep it up!! I was 17 years in...

I don't get how any low carber has energy to workout hard... I don't. But that's a different story...

Hmm - I'd have to see your diary and see what you're eating? No weight loss in 6 weeks!? Woah....
  • BCsurvivor1962
    BCsurvivor1962 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the quit smoking! I know how tough that is.

Try keeping your TOTAL carbs (no net carbs) to 25 or under a day for a week or so and see if that makes a difference. I do that and tend to get back on the losing track.

My friends nutritionist said to eat no more than 20 carbs per meal. You may want to try that but just make sure it is TOTAL carbs, not net carbs.

Good luck and I hope this helps!
  • mdelcott
    Options
    Thank you, I will try that 25 or under for a week and see if that helps break through..
  • scubagoil
    scubagoil Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and overall it looks pretty good... I do have a couple of suggestions...

I would cut out the almost daily Smirnoff - Ice Light and the Whey Gourmet - Chocolate Peanut Butter. Although they do not have a lot of carbs, they can affect weight loss. I eat whey sometimes, but I limit how often and I always use plain. Even that can slow my weight loss down if I have too much.

I would try to get more meat protein in each day. For me, that seems to really fuel weight loss.

You may not be getting enough calories... you are working out a lot, but usually consume just under 1200 calories.

You don't track your water, so I don't know if you drink enough, but if you don't drink much water, you could try to increase your intake...

Oh, and I agree - just track total carbs and not net carbs.

Congrats on quitting smoking and losing 19 lbs!
  • mdelcott
    Options
    I looked at your diary and overall it looks pretty good... I do have a couple of suggestions...

I would cut out the almost daily Smirnoff - Ice Light and the Whey Gourmet - Chocolate Peanut Butter. Although they do not have a lot of carbs, they can affect weight loss. I eat whey sometimes, but I limit how often and I always use plain. Even that can slow my weight loss down if I have too much.

I would try to get more meat protein in each day. For me, that seems to really fuel weight loss.

You may not be getting enough calories... you are working out a lot, but usually consume just under 1200 calories.

You don't track your water, so I don't know if you drink enough, but if you don't drink much water, you could try to increase your intake...

LOL Thanks the Smirnoff Has been my treat this week after long hot days at work, but by all means its not my normal..And the Whey was just recently added because I workout and thought I needed it cause all these ppl talk about adding a protein shake, but its no big deal for me to cut both these items,,So I will try that right away too...As fot the eating more calories man thats tough I am stuffed after lunch and supper..But will give it a go how many calories should I aim for?? AS for water I drink a TON liters apon liters I just dont bother tracking it..
    Thank you again for the input and I will def be giving this all a go
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It may take a bit of trial and error to figure out what works for you. My suggestion: I know it seems silly, but I don't think you're eating enough especially being on low carb. You're only eating about 1000-1200 calories even on days when you're burning 500+ calories. How could you possibly have enough energy to do that?! I'd be exhausted!! I would suggest boosting some of your caloric intake through some things like cheese, peanut butter, etc. Keep your carbs low, but make sure you're getting enough energy.

Good luck!!
  • scubagoil
    scubagoil Posts: 103 Member
    Options

LOL Thanks the Smirnoff Has been my treat this week after long hot days at work, but by all means its not my normal..And the Whey was just recently added because I workout and thought I needed it cause all these ppl talk about adding a protein shake, but its no big deal for me to cut both these items,,So I will try that right away too...As fot the eating more calories man thats tough I am stuffed after lunch and supper..But will give it a go how many calories should I aim for?? AS for water I drink a TON liters apon liters I just dont bother tracking it..

Hey, no judgement from me on Smirnoff Ice... I love those!

I'm not sure how many calories you should be eating, but you could try to up it by about 200 calories a day and see if that helps. I find eating nuts is a great way to add extra calories. Plus, if you replace the Smirnoff Ice and Whey Protein with meat protein, it may have more calories.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight your TDEE falls also. You are not lugging 20 lbs around with you everywhere you go. You log your exercise right? What would it take for you to carry 20 lbs around with you everywhere you went, everything you did for 16 hours a day. At least a couble of hundred calories. Well, you're not doing that, you are smaller. So your daily calories may have to fall some for weight loss to continue.
    Lowering your carbs some may be a way to make that happen without too much hunger.

Just realizing it and setting a lower goal may be all you need to make it happen too.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

To properly measure your increased calorie count, I would suggest you visit http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This follows the Harris-Benedict formula...

Its easy to use and it gives you your BMR, TDEE and your TDEE-cut. If your cut is lower than your BMR, then eat above your BMR by about 100-200 calories. Never fall below your BMR.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I buy Atkins meal bars, and the Atkins indulge brownies to help boost my calories. I'll eat a chocolate peanut butter bar for afternoon snack (240 cal, 2 net carbs) or a brownie (170 cal, 2 net carbs) with a TBS of peanut butter for dessert after dinner