Primal encouragement please

Options
bannierooster
bannierooster Posts: 37 Member
From 6/5 to 6/22 targeted 1200 calories per day and lost no weight. Then I read about the Primal diet and made drastic changes to my diet . I gave up my (4 cans) beloved Diet Dr Pepper, all grains, sugars (except liquid Stevia) and replaced it with 9-12 cups of water, protein,vegetables, one apple, and a protein shake for supper. About the only dairy that I take is 1 Tbsp whipping cream in coffee and 1 portion of cheese in my omelet . The first week I gained 2 pounds. The next week fat percentage was increased and lost 4 pounds. I thought that I had found the solution, only to gain back 1 pound this week. In other words, since 6/22 I have netted 1 1/2 pound loss. As far as exercise, my dog walks me about 3 miles per day and I keep a fairly clean house (that is about it). After sitting behind a desk for 40 years, I have little stamina but am trying to increase it more each day. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Diary is open for review
TDEE 2002
BMR 1292
Calorie goal per day: 1700

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I can't actually see your diary, are you sure it's open for all and not just your friends?

As far as weighing in goes, how do you go about it? The most accurate way to do it is to weigh about once a week (on the same day), first thing in the morning after the bathroom but before breakfast. If you're not doing it this way, you could simply be seeing rather normal weight fluctuations (weight fluctuates usually between 5-7lbs a day depending on water intake, sodium intake, exercise, what you've eaten, etc).

That's about all I can suggest without seeing your diary.

Edited to add: You may also want to check out this post on marksdailyapple:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-insulin/#axzz215eHHwbD

Dairy isn't for everyone, and has been known to stall weight loss in some. The only way to know for sure is to try cutting it out for a little while. Maybe try some full fat canned coconut milk in your coffee and throw more veggies in your omelettes instead of cheese (that's how I gave up cheese in my omelettes)? Depending on what type of protein powder you use, it can be considered dairy too.

Dairy (ok, cheese) was one of the things I was hesitant to give up but I did it for 45 days and then tried re-introducing it. For me, I've found it makes my skin break out and can give me some stomach cramps if I ingest a lot. I eat mostly paleo (primal without the dairy) now and only let cheese slip into my diet on special occasions.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Try this: Coffee brewed into a french press and then pour it into a blender with 1 TBSP of unsalt butter, 1TSP of coconut oil, and cinammon. I am so hooked to it after I have learned the bulletproof coffee. You could google the bulletproof coffee, it is crazy and it is acutally working!
  • Maasmondy
    Maasmondy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Must. Try. Bullet. Proof. Coffee. ASAP
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Primal Blueprint suggests 50-100g carbs per day to lose weight, 100-150 to maintain weight. What are your carbs?
  • PaleoMichelle
    Options
    My weight loss stalled on paleo after about 20 lbs. (I've got a decent amount to los). That is when I joined MFP to track my food intake, and particularly my carb intake.

I have steadily kept my carbs under 60g, andthe weight loss has kickstarted once again. Who knew that my afternoon apple was hindering my weight loss?!?!
  • Cavewomancafe
    Cavewomancafe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with Paleo Michelle, keep your sugar carbs not your fiber carbs, below 60 grams and weight loss begins. I have to cut out sweet potatoes and nuts and eat what carbs I do before 3 pm in order to keep the weight loss going. (BTW I think it is really important to eat fruit but eat it before 3 pm and just a half of whatever.) I also need to exercise and keep my calorie intake close to 1200 too. (I'm a very easy keeper) But once you get over the hump it really starts to come off. Mark Sisson admittedly is a easy loser so even though he is a nutrition master he doesn't get the easy keeper syndrome at a gut level. (Pun intended) I am over 50 and have had weight issues my whole life so the game is a bit different with us. My digestion is a bit of an over achiever and likes to use everything! So I have to be careful but the rewards are great and I feel great. Good luck! And Good job on cutting out all that crap you've been eating!!
  • bannierooster
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! By the way, I target 60 g carbs a day but will use your advise as to when to have them.
  • bannierooster
    Options
    Took many of your suggestions (in particular the Bulletproof coffee idea) and lost 4.5 pounds last week. I also lowered my carbs from 60 to 50 and it seems to be working now. Thanks again for your suggestions! By the way, I LOVE the coffee!!