Calorie Burn

Options
Hi again everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone else wears a HRM while doing their workouts. I have been using mine since March, so I've used it since I've started Insanity for sure. For those who use them, what's your typical calorie burn like?

For me:
Height - 5'8.5"
Weight - 158lb
Age - 30
Average burn - 330 cals

I was actually expecting a lot MORE! I understand calorie burn will vary... seeing as my bf and I will go for a bike ride together and he burns double what I do! But just wondered if others were surprised either by how low or how high the calorie burn is.

Thanks for your input!

krnl

Replies

• Berger2011
    Berger2011 Posts: 48
    Options
    Hello,

I have a HRM and when I first got it I didn't have it set correctly. There were settings for High,Medium, and Low impact. Those setting make a difference. I know I had cheated myself out of calories burned before I actually realized the settings and what they meant. When I was doing bootcamp class, I weighed 220 and am 5'5' and could easily burn anywhere between 600-700 calories in just under an hour. Not sure if this helps but maybe make sure the settings are right. My battery went out on mine so I am in the market for a new one today and am curious to see what my actual burn is now!!! Good luck!!
  • kjeang11
    kjeang11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'5
    weight: 142 lbs
    Calorie Burn: 400-600 (about 200 on recovery day)

I was very pleased with the amount of calories burned during the Insanity workout. I was cutting myself short with out a HRM. I just have a "Plain Jane" 23$ wrist HRM from Walmart but it seems to be very accturate. I also use it during running/walking and Zumba. I find it to be a source of motavation...."Lets see how many calories i can burn today!!"

Maybe you do have it on a low setting because I would guess that you should be burning more.

Are you checking your heartrate often? I check it several times through out the workout since Insanity is interval training.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I do check my heart rate often throughout the workouts... and i have a paper to track it too so i can compare to previous workouts and see if i pushed harder. :P I'm a spreadsheet girl, what can i say!?

My HRM has set my "optimal" HR range as 124-164 bpm. So this is where I would be burning the most calories supposedly.
    Most of the time my numbers are about the same:
    Average 137 or 138
    Max HR 168 ish
    In my "zone" for usually about 24min of the ~40 min workouts.
    The recovery day I'm lucky if i burn 100 calories.

I will have to look into the settings again, as I know you can change them... perhaps I should read the manual. :P