traditional....

Options
I really love the idea of eating like our great-grandparents, but with more focus on the fat. I know most of the recipes handed down are full of butter and cream and bacon fat, but I think we can modify these recipes into the 21st century. People lived much more active live 100 years ago!

Replies

• miss_greene89
    Options
    I agree if i ate completly like I should including all the fat, I would get huge (i used to be 50lbs bigger and I gain weight easy)

I modify my diet to fit within calories allowed. But still get the butter,oil and meat in there
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low glycemic index which is actually how our ancestors ate. The secret is good fat no transfat, over processed vegetable oils, grass fed over corn fed meat. See Weston A Price or http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-26/low-fat-diet-after-weight-loss-may-raise-risk-of-gain
    40% carbs 40% fat 20% protein
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my ancestors didn't eat low-glycemic index food. Grapes, figs, dates, and pomegranates are not exactly known for their diabetic-friendliness . . .
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    A Traditional Diet is based on locally grown food. In the Northwest where I live, the native American traditional diet would be based on salmon and venison. Unfortunately the salmon don't run in Spokane anymore and I am not a hunter. I buy free range eggs from a local farmer (bright orange yolks and delicious). I harvest wild greens and mushrooms. I buy fruit and veggies from the local farmer's market when I can afford to. I eat fermented food like homemade sourkrout and yogurt too. Sometimes I also eat very non traditional foods - like a quick protein powder shake. I've also added fasting -or not eating meals - which is a tradition in many cultures.