Advice for a newbie

Options
Hey I am new to MFP, But I have noticed that there is very little for people trying to GAIN weight. My name is John, I am 5'6, 141 lbs 12% bmi. I am tying to bulk and get to 160lbs. I am having trouble reaching my calorie goal of 2770 everyday, because even though everyone always jokes about how much I eat, I apparently can not eat enough. I am currently taking Syntha-6 around 2-3 times a day. I have a beach body coach and then and a friend of mine is a personal trainer. I go to the gym as often as I can between work, but when I can't, I do Insanity, p90x, or if im in a real hurry 10 min trainer. I have never done a whole program before. My girlfriend said the thing that helps her most reach her goals (She is trying to lose weight) is having a lot of friends on her news feed and people to talk to. So I am currently looking for people who would be interested in helping me out, giving me advice on bulking, because I am new to this. Thank you and please add me if you are interested

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain too. I can't lol. It isn't that easy!
  • jpr0530
    jpr0530 Posts: 19
    Options
    Yes it is very hard for me right now. I'm trying to space out my meals so I don't have to consume so many calories at once. Like for dinner I was literally having to shove food down my face lol
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    are you following a solid weightlifting routine? Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 are highly recommended
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain too and I agree that sometimes, I have to almost force myself to eat. I am discovering that if I eat half my daily calories at breakfast, the rest of the day I'm not forcing myself to eat. I workout in the a.m., in a fasted state so after exercising, I'm really hungry and eating a lot of food is not a problem.
  • tahinilove
    tahinilove Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend you try 3000 cals. I'm a female 5'7 122lbs bulking on 3000. How are your macros?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be rude, but if you are not gaining quite simply you are not eating enough. You may need to increase meal frequency if you can't handle eating a lot in one sitting, or look into supplements ( protein shakes, mass gainers, high calorie meal bars. Met rx makes a good one)
  • 57silverfox
    57silverfox Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When younger bulk up with protien shakes eggs alot white meat turkey chicken wheat bread and wieght lifting heavy set and few set less running still do alittle cardio but try not burn up what your putting in. That was 20 years ago trainers have a better graps on things now good luck.
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    gotta eat big to become big, and thats a fact
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hey I am new to MFP, But I have noticed that there is very little for people trying to GAIN weight. My name is John, I am 5'6, 141 lbs 12% bmi. I am tying to bulk and get to 160lbs. I am having trouble reaching my calorie goal of 2770 everyday, because even though everyone always jokes about how much I eat, I apparently can not eat enough. I am currently taking Syntha-6 around 2-3 times a day. I have a beach body coach and then and a friend of mine is a personal trainer. I go to the gym as often as I can between work, but when I can't, I do Insanity, p90x, or if im in a real hurry 10 min trainer. I have never done a whole program before. My girlfriend said the thing that helps her most reach her goals (She is trying to lose weight) is having a lot of friends on her news feed and people to talk to. So I am currently looking for people who would be interested in helping me out, giving me advice on bulking, because I am new to this. Thank you and please add me if you are interested

Why so much cardio while trying to bulk, get a real lifting program (prob any solid full body routine would be good for a newbie) and eat lots of food
  • jpr0530
    jpr0530 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm really doing whatever my friend does in the gym. We go together and do incline bench, decline and regular bench. We also do some dumbbell flies and curls. Today we did light weight with 75lbs on the bench and more reps since he said he's getting me ready to start lifting heavy since I've never lifted in my life.

I have my macros set up with carbs first. 50/25/25.
  • mikeny88
    mikeny88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To gain mass: Eat a ton (mostly clean stuff), lift a ton (stick to compund lifts like bench, squat, deadlift, pull ups, overhead press) heavy weight low-med reps. Do that for about 3-4 months and you will see a difference