Tent Suggestions

Options
superpapa16
superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
Hi everybody!

I started hiking last summer and took an overnight camping trip with some friends. Planning on doing the same thing this year, but instead of borrowing someone's gear I've been thinking of buying some of my own. What do I need to look for regarding a decent 2-3 man tent, preferably one that doesn't break the bank?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    Where is most of your hiking going to be done. I can give better recommendations if I know.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    bump

are you looking for a 3-season tent or year-round?
    are you looking for a backpacking tent?
  • superpapa16
    Options
    Where is most of your hiking going to be done. I can give better recommendations if I know.

State parks mostly. Car camping to start, but I think I'd like to get more into backpack camping at some point. Thanks!
  • superpapa16
    Options
    bump

are you looking for a 3-season tent or year-round?
    are you looking for a backpacking tent?

3 seasons, yes, although something that would be able to hold up to the surprise thunderstorm or high winds would be preferred.

Initially I think I will mostly be looking at car camping. In the future I think I'd like to move onto backpack camping though.

Thanks!
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    For car camping I use a Coleman tent and have never had problems.

Backpacking tents are a whole nother story.
  • superpapa16
    Options
    For car camping I use a Coleman tent and have never had problems.

Backpacking tents are a whole nother story.

Good to know. Thank you!
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Car camping a coleman tent is fine.. Just check amazon and you get find several with great reviews. When you start looking at lightweight/backpacking tents is where the price starts to shoot up. About five years ago I decided to take a last minute trip with a few friends and on the way I remembered that my tent wasn't packed inside my backpack...I had let some friends borrow it. I stopped by a local outfitter and he talked me into getting a hennessy hammock instead of a tent. Now the only time I don't use a hammock is when I am camping on the beach or in a park that doesn't allow hammocks (very few do not allow hammocks).
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a eureka That I love It was inexpensive and held up to a rainstorm in the grand canyon, most important piece of gear in my opinion is a good sleeping pad, I ive used tarps hooked to a friends tent and a good sleeping pad made even this confortable on mt rainier...

Campmor.com is another good place to look for a decent tent and price

Enjoy your camping trip
  • AngelDog1
    AngelDog1 Posts: 89
    Options
    I would love to hear suggesstions also. I have been so tempted to buy and try the hammocks. On our last backpacking trip, hubby and I finally decided that the tent we have is too small (way too cramped...lol!) So maybe try the hammock for me or get a bigger tent that both of us and our packs would fit into.
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have one of those yellow Eureka tents that has the fly on both sides. It was about $100 from Gander Mtn, and is perfect for my husband and me whether we are camping or hiking.
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    Hammocks for me! I sleep in them just as good as at home in bed, which is not the case when sleeping on the ground. I have had a Hennessey for about 12 years, and now have a Warbonnet Traveler. I use a 8 by 10 tarp over it. I have been places where I couldn't use the hammock, in the desert, or above treeline and just used my tarp and slept on the ground then. I like the extra space under the tarp and also that you can cook under it if it is raining.

ETA: my first hammock was a simple BYER hammock that cost like 20 bucks or so. I took it with me car camping just to lounge in during the day,and was hooked. So you can get a cheap hammock to just see what it is like. Just make sure its a amazon type, nylon and wide not one of those ones made out of strings!
  • superpapa16
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions!
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Car camping, a Coleman or similar tent will be fine. For backpacking, I prefer a bivy sac and tarp - my fave is the MSR e-wing. My whole set up - bivy, tarp and 15F sleeping bag with liner weighs 4.5lbs - about the weight of most backpacking tents!
  • lbowd2
    lbowd2 Posts: 12
    Options
    Whatever tent you get make sure it's good quality. The last thing you want is for your gear let you down we you really need it to work. If you'r ever going to backpack and carry your tent, then get something as light as possible. That normally costs money. I use an MSR Hubba Hubba 2 person tent. Weighs in at under 2kg and it excellent. If you want something a little bigger then Big Agnes make a couple of excellent tents, as do Nemo, and MSR have the Mutha Hubba. All fanastic, strong and light. Chances are you might end up with a couple of tents. A larger one for car camping and a smaller lighter one for hiking.
    The more you can rely on your gear, the more you can focus on just enjoying the great outdoors.