male muffin...sheesh!

Options
derfregal
derfregal Posts: 32 Member
Any other guy working on that muffin top (or dunlop disease tumor) hanging over their belt! Ive been doing cardio and some light strength training over the last month. Just wondering what all yal are doing and how affective its been at getting that belly fat down! My man boobs are another problem altogether! haha Been doing push ups but a few sets of those and im sore for 2 or 3 days afterward...any ideas

Replies

• jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i'm with ya bud. joined gym.. found out i can't move for days after a good workout...achy but good achy... been thinking i gotta push thru that ....and work it every other day at least
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, the pain will eventually subside and the results will be worth it. Also, start off at a lower weight. Don't start pushing the limits until you've been working out for a couple weeks. Give your muscles a chance to wake up and realize they have to start earning their living.

The beer gut and moobs will go away eventually. Stay dedicated.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i tend to live in pain!
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. Here's what's finally working for me ...

I skip cardio entirely, except when I'm doing real activities like hiking or my daily clear-the-mind walk. I do a weight circuit for 30 min (quickly) at around 80-90% of my maximum strength every other day. I follow that up with a 20 min abs/back circuit (with and without weights). It took me about 2 weeks to build up fundamental levels of strength and endurance. After that, I increased the intensity and number of reps per exercise.

I've been doing that for a couple of months and though I have plateaued a bit on the weight loss, the tape measure is still showing results. Now, I'm going to add in strength training on non-circuit days and focus on the big muscles, quads, glutes, back, abs and chest.

Circuit days are for heart-rate, non-circuit days are for muscle building.
  • zevduv
    zevduv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am starting p90x and my whole body is sore. I just keep pushing forward, trading in the booze for aspirin, and modifying as needed to get through the exercises. The positive is that the muscles are responding. I know there is a great looking body under my layer of padding and if it were easy to bring it out, everybody would have a great body.
  • alsatty
    alsatty Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm doing boot camp class, work out at home with machines and have just added weights. Give it time and it will improve. Alleive is great!
  • dblosmith
    dblosmith Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, just work on it. It'll go away in time. I kind of have a similar but different problem. My scale is a little off. I've actually lost 120lbs (gained 20 back, but I've been letting myself go a bit. :/ ) Anyway, I like the way I'm turning out, but I'm still making muffin. The skin hang/spare tire looks like a sideways "3"... two hangs on either side of my belly button. I hate it. I don't know how to get rid of it except... keep going and hope it goes away. Thoughts anyone?
  • ShadowLark
    ShadowLark Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was just telling my friend that about the pain going away if your working out right and in a few days. We both are getting back at it. Both have gained weight going through our divorces.
  • zevduv
    zevduv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I heard that most times we give up right when we are on the verge of success. Keep going bud!
  • derfregal
    derfregal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the input...i tend to do strength training without the weights (small house and no $ for gym) but i push so hard i feel it for a few days! Im gonna start doing it atleast twice a week to start then after a few weeks increase to 3X/wk with cardio in between. I got sick a few weeks back and couldnt/didnt eat for 3 whole days and lost like 4 pounds in 3 days. of course since then i have slowly gained those pounds back. This week...back on track..gonna try to get those pounds to start dropping off again! Again, thanks for all the input!
  • sgaranzuay
    sgaranzuay Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Keep it going, my friend! I hit a wall last week and didn't lose any weight. Then, I figured out i was dehydrated. I started drinking my 8 (or 10) glasses of H2O every day and continued exercising - 2 more pounds this week so far! It's amazing how much that helps. Nice work so far!