pop culture...how involved are you?

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
DO you watch TV, listen to talk radio or both?
Do you live for movies or read? Pulp fiction or genre?
where do you get your news info?

Replies

• kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I listen to the radio almost all day until 7pm. Here in the UK, BBC Radio 2 is the most listened to station and I've been a R2 listener since the 1970s. It's music and chat based with a 2 hour - debate programme at lunchtime.

I get most of my news from the BBC online and from other online sources. I don't read newspapers, but I do like to catch the 10pm news on TV (BBC of course)

I love to read, but I can only read when conditions are right and that's usually when I'm sat on a train which now sadly is seldom. I love crime fiction, thrillers, comedies, science fiction too. I really ought to try and read more as I love books.

Music is a BIG part of my life and I love listening to music and always fall asleep to my iPod.
  • jerber160
    Options
    Music is a BIG part of my life and I love listening to music and always fall asleep to my iPod.

I'm the kind who sleeps in silence. when I'm away with friends and they have to have the tv on it's weird.... where do you get your political info?
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm the kind who sleeps in silence. when I'm away with friends and they have to have the tv on it's weird.... where do you get your political info?
    My best friend is like that - can't sleep unless in total silence. He always claims he's like the Princess in the Princess and the pea. Silence for me is an alien concept, because it never is (thanks to my tinnitus) :noway:

Politics I get from various sources: BBC, news media online, the gay press (GT and Attitude, the Pink News, etc). I'm quietly political, insofar as I always vote in elections (local & national) and do have quite strong opinions on certain issues which often puts me at odds with the mainstream parties, even the ones I generally support.
  • jerber160
    Options
    My best friend is like that - can't sleep unless in total silence. He always claims he's like the Princess in the Princess and the pea. Silence for me is an alien concept, because it never is (thanks to my tinnitus) :noway:

Politics I get from various sources: BBC, news media online, the gay press (GT and Attitude, the Pink News, etc). I'm quietly political, insofar as I always vote in elections (local & national) and do have quite strong opinions on certain issues which often puts me at odds with the mainstream parties, even the ones I generally support.

lately it's all siriux xm radio... and internet.. huffpo politico...left wing
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Not a lot of music, mostly 70's rock, country, etc. Love Jimmy Buffett. Radio in the pickup is usually on the talk shows, local and national. Political news from Rush, Sean Hannity, Robert Pratt of Pratt on Texas. Regular news from Fox News. Probably guess my political leanings.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I get my news from NPR. I've been a fan since the '70s. And I watch the Daily Show on the interwebs.

I don't have the schedule to watch much regular TV, except for Antiques Roadshow, and the recent Sherlock series. I'll occasionally pick up a show on Discover or Science, but most of those channels have degenerated into aliens, ghosts and monsters. Mostly we watch HBO and Showtime series from Netflix - True Blood, Weeds, Breaking Bad, Dexter. And I enjoy the TED lectures.
  • jerber160
    Options
    I get my news from NPR. I've been a fan since the '70s. And I watch the Daily Show on the interwebs.

I don't have the schedule to watch much regular TV, except for Antiques Roadshow, and the recent Sherlock series. I'll occasionally pick up a show on Discover or Science, but most of those channels have degenerated into aliens, ghosts and monsters. Mostly we watch HBO and Showtime series from Netflix - True Blood, Weeds, Breaking Bad, Dexter. And I enjoy the TED lectures.
    I still have my father's old TV.. he died about 15 years ago or so... i rarely turn it on.. it has to heat up before i get sound,, i admit I miss being able to talk about some shows with friends who thrive on tv tho... i have basicbasicbasic cable. I did upgrade last year so I could watch dancemoms, but shut went back to basic after the initial free offer expired. i'm just not a tv guy.. BUT sirius xm rehashes all the sunday news shows all afternoon... if i'm in the car, i listen.
  • bhankiii
    Options

I still have my father's old TV.. he died about 15 years ago or so... i rarely turn it on.. it has to heat up before i get sound,, i admit I miss being able to talk about some shows with friends who thrive on tv tho... i have basicbasicbasic cable. I did upgrade last year so I could watch dancemoms, but shut went back to basic after the initial free offer expired. i'm just not a tv guy.. BUT sirius xm rehashes all the sunday news shows all afternoon... if i'm in the car, i listen.

That's the nice thing about Netflix and Hulu, you can pick and choose only what you want to watch.
  • jerber160
    Options
    i can't imagine the work it would take to familiarize myself with what's available to watch, so i could make use of these things...
  • bhankiii
    Options
    One of the nice things about netflix is that it figures out your tastes based on your inputs then starts recommending similar things. Or you can just see what's the most popular.
  • jerber160
    Options
    One of the nice things about netflix is that it figures out your tastes based on your inputs then starts recommending similar things. Or you can just see what's the most popular.
    sort of like how the internet tends to throw ads your way according to what you've searched for?
  • bhankiii
    Options
    Yep - but not as annoying.