Frustrated

Options
I am so frustrated. I had the RNY surgery on March 1, all I have lost is 53lbs. I'm 5'7 and was told at 4 months to consume 1200 to 1400 calories a day. The weight loss has dramatically slowed down.My surgeon suggest that my goal weight is 190lbs. I can see me getting within 50 in 1 year. I don't know what to do. I feel so confused and let down. Any suggestion? What to do?

Replies

• authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    First off, CONGRATS on the weight loss. I'm almost a year out and I'm lucky if I can reach 800 calories a day. I'm supposed to be between 1000-1200 a day, so i'm curious as to how you're doing it cause i would love the tips. I think maybe your'e at a stall. I was at a stall too for a long while, right when it starts moving again, i swear I can get back on the scale later on and it looks like ive gained weight. Idk, i'm just so frustrated right now I don't even know what to do anymore. I just feel like crying
  • Sbandnlyfe
    Options
    Hey Ashley! 53 pounds is EXCELLENT and don't let anyone tell you that it is'nt. Sometimes when others around us know we have wls, they start to set high expectations of us having an overnight weight loss and become inpatient. I myself have a Lap Band, but my frustrations and struggles are very are very similiar to a person with Gastric Bypass Surgery. I recently got stuck at 40 lbs for over a month and YESSS, I was very discouraged. But one of my MFP buddies ( a GBS warrior) encouraged me to step my game up: drink more water, eat fewer calories/omitt a food, change the intensity and frequency of my workout, and BREATH.....because I'm not running a race with anybody, but trying to transform my lifesyle. After making a change in caloric intake and now doing circuit training and aerobics along with my treadmill, I have moved my scale another 5lbs. in less than 2wks. ((((YAAAAAY for me))) LOL- So your pause in weight loss is only temporary. Now it's time to trick your body, because it's thinking "Okay, Ms.Ashley is tryna starve me- so I better hold on to every calorie I can". Remember: Mind over Body. Best of luck to you on your journey!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY on May 15th so you're about 6 weeks further along than I am and my total loss post surgery is 28 pounds. I'm thinking 53 sounds amazing! The good thing about the RNY is provided you have not stretched out your tummy you can contiue eating at whatever level you're comfortable at. My doctor told me you're going to get your best results in the first year so if you're not comfortable with the calorie goal your nutritionist set for you keep eating at an earlier stage just don't neglect your vitamins, protein and water intake.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    53 pounds is nothing to sneeze at! A lot of people would love to lose that much weight in such a short period of time! Dont compare your weight loss to others...we all lose at different rates. I get frustrated because I will go a couple of weeks bouncing around the same 2 or 3 pounds...and then suddenly I will drop 4 or 5. Then I go up and down again...and so on. I have come to accept that it is just my body's way of losing. What matters is that you feel healthy, and are changing your life. Good for you! You are on the right track :) I usually get in 900-1000 cal/day with food and shakes. I think the most important thing right now is to be sure you are getting your vitamins, your water, and most important...your protein in! The calories I dont worry so much over.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My first bit of advice is to stay off the scale! I rarely weigh myself, I prefer to let my clothes tell me the story... and when i'm feeling a little disheartened, i drop in on people i haven't seen in a while... feel the love, makes me feel great!.

Now, take a trip to the grocery store and fill your basket with 53 lbs of butter. This is what you have lost, look at it and know that now and again, your body slows down to adjust to the loss. Also, If you are exercising, you are building lean muscle, which by volume is heavier than fat, so if you lose 3 lbs of fat and gain 3 lbs of lean muscle, your body shape is changing and you are winning this battle.

Chin up... it will happen, use the tools you have been given, and maybe push yourself in some areas so that you know you are doing all that is required.

RNY is not a magic solution, but it makes it a little easier to stick with the program.
  • Rhondavous64
    Options
    I had the VBG done in 1988. I lost about 50 lbs and stayed at a standstill forever it seemed. I didn't have the support that is available today. I resorted to barely eating anything, walking several hours a day and look back at pictures and knew I wasn't getting the nutrition I needed. I got frustrated and starting eating the wrong things and gradually gained back all the weight I lost and more. I am preparing to get the gastric bypass, I have since learned to get the support, acquired the habit of exercise and have been controlling what I eat since January of this year. Now to find out in an informational session that all the times I went to Dr It had to state it was weightloss related as reason for visit. Has anybody been able to show exercise and food diaries to nutritionist to get around the Dr supervised Diet/exercise?
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up and keep trying! Make sure you get your water and enough protein. My surgeon (GB Feb-2012) says 60 - 80 a day, but everyone's surgeon is different. The one thing I will say that I have heard and I think about it ever time I feel my weight loss is too slow. The faster you lose, the more loose skin you will have that may later require surgery to remove. I dont know if this is true, but I am hoping!! Slow and steady is better!!