Alcohol and the low carb way of life....

Options
pennyo140
pennyo140 Posts: 25 Member
Hi All

I feel so much better now that I am following Atkin's induction phase.

I was surprised to see that red wine is not crazily high-carb! I do enjoy my tipple from time to time :-) Any lower carb suggestions/tips/tricks?

Many thanks!

Replies

• celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I dont drink wine much but I have had a couple mix drinks with Vodka and diet pop. Only reason I went with Vodka was because it had no carbs and I didnt want to get knocked out of ketosis :) I also did count the calories (think its 65 cal for 8 oz) lol
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I do drink wine or vodka or other carb-free liquors from time to time, but just remember that your body may not necessarily fall out of ketosis, but your body will stop burning fat while its busy burning the alcohol for energy. I've noticed in the past I definitely lose a lot slower when I include booze. Alcohol definitely should not be included in the Atkins induction phase.

Tasty ideas:

-vodka with those carbonated flavored waters most stores have. I have mixed lime, orange cream (tastes like a 50/50 bar), raspberry..pretty much every flavor would be good.

-gin with diet grapefruit soda.

-wine with seltzer or diet sprite for a wine spritzer -- that'd cut the wine carbs down some

-low carb "margarita" with tequila, juice of 1-2 limes (depending on how juicy they are and how tart you like it), packet of splenda or stevia, top with diet lemon lime soda
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'll always have a Merlot or Cab Sav with a good rare steak. Sake with faux sushi , and a light beer or two after a tough tennis match or with a low carb pizza.

These are my foods that are absolutely and traditionally complemented by these beverages and it just adds so much to the enjoyment of the foods. Thank goodness they are compatible (in moderation ) with Low Carb.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'll always have a Merlot or Cab Sav with a good rare steak. Sake with faux sushi , and a light beer or two after a tough tennis match or with a low carb pizza.

These are my foods that are absolutely and traditionally complemented by these beverages and it just adds so much to the enjoyment of the foods. Thank goodness they are compatible (in moderation ) with Low Carb.

Did you say pizza? LOL
  • pennyo140
    pennyo140 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice! :wink:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I regularly knock red wine back by the litre so I have no tips or tricks ;)

I seem to have the kind of metabolism that will just deal with it and not put on weight.

I can't say the same for beer though, I avoid that stuff.

I used to like the spirits but they play havoc with my digestive system so I give them a miss ... mostly ;)
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I had an all wine and vodka diet for a bit, it worked ;)