Paleo/Primal Breakfast Ideas

Options
onceabyrne
onceabyrne Posts: 64 Member
I'm new to Paleo/Primal eating and already I know my biggest challenge will be having quick breakfast options at my disposal. I already get up at 4:30 a.m. so I maybe have 15-20 minutes to do breakfast once I'm home for the gym and before I get the kid up and get us off to school/work.

I subscribe to a lot of Paleo/Primal blogs, but haven't bought any cookbooks yet. Seems like for me, it might be making individual frittatas on Sundays so I have something I can heat up quickly in the mornings.

I know several people in the blogs have also mentioned they do protein shakes, I haven't researched this yet, but what protein powders do you use?

What do you eat for breakfast? I need ideas! Thanks!

Replies

• Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I suggest you look into egg cups for breakfast. Personally, I haven't made them yet, but a few people have listed them on theiir diary's for breakfast or really any mea (can make them ahead)l. I myself will do protein powder with coconut milk. I buy my protein powder from Trader Joe's or the Vitamin Shoppe in town. Just make sure when you buy one that has low sugar, mine has 2g per serving which most of them have 9g or more. Generally 1 hr later, I'll have a bananna. Good Luck.
  • IselaCB
    IselaCB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When I'm working during the school year, my favorite go-to breakfast is hard boiled eggs. I boil & peel a huge batch on weekends and grab a couple each workday morning. I'll throw in a little sea salt and 21 seasoning salute from Trader Joe's. I'll also often have a small container of veggies to eat soon after. It's not super fancy, but it's quick and easy!
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My go-to is egg cups, or basically an omelet baked in a muffin cup. I make a pan of 12 on Sunday evenings, refrigerate them in zip lock baggies of 2 so I can grab them and reheat for about 20 seconds in the morning (I am well aware I could put them all in one large bag, but it's easier for me to be able to grab and run sometimes!).

Other breakfasts I enjoy are shakes (coconut milk + fruit + spinach + ground flax seeds + protein powder), greek yogurt (plain, topped with fruit, or honey, or cinnamon, or whatever floats your boat) or a butternut squash puree topped with a bit of honey (good when you're craving a hot breakfast cereal)

As for protein powders, I am using one that was lower-carb/lower-sugar, but I've heard good things about trutein, and will be ordering some samples to try that brand out next.
  • Davef1967
    Davef1967 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this too, but I have a friend in a similar situation. She hard boils eggs & fries bacon in advance. She then takes 2 eggs & 2 crispy rashers to work to eat as breakfast.

Good luck
  • girlcube
    girlcube Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been rocking bulletproof coffee, keeps me going till lunchtime. In the past I've done hardboiled eggs, leftovers from the night previous. Occasionally a protein shake, but I up the fat with a couple tsp of coconut oil or MCT oil (this is generally when I miss my alarm and need to be out the foor in 5 min).
  • ockara
    ockara Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also do egg cups or mini meatloafs, boiled eggs, salmon patties, left over dinner, or start something in the crockpot at night and its ready for breakfast. I've done protein powders but like others say you have to check for the added sugar and soy.
  • SerenityNow76
    SerenityNow76 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made a smoothie of blueberries, coconut milk, cashew nut butter, vanilla extract and an egg. Was so yummy I made another for breakfast this morning. It kept me full for hours. I think the make ahead frittata would be good too especially with some precooked breakfast sausage.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have this little silicone pod thingy I can "fry" up to 2 eggs in the oh so deadly microwave ( :P ), so I throw that in with a couple strips of bacon and breakfast is done in about 2min.

I like leftovers too..makes cooking non-existant
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've recently started skipping breakfast and IF'ing. Time will tell if it works out but I think that if I can skip the extra hassle and get better results, it might be worth it.

As others have mentioned, hard-boiled eggs are easy. Spend 15-20 minutes on the Sunday prepping a dozen and you're set for the week.

For shakes, I use weigh protein though it's not particularly Paleo. I mix it with Almond milk, a half banana and cocoa powder in a magic bullet. Also really quick to whip up in the morning.
  • Alisi1234
    Alisi1234 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've recently started skipping breakfast and IF'ing. Time will tell if it works out but I think that if I can skip the extra hassle and get better results, it might be worth it.

As others have mentioned, hard-boiled eggs are easy. Spend 15-20 minutes on the Sunday prepping a dozen and you're set for the week.

For shakes, I use weigh protein though it's not particularly Paleo. I mix it with Almond milk, a half banana and cocoa powder in a magic bullet. Also really quick to whip up in the morning.

What is IF'ing?
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options

What is IF'ing?

IF means 'Intermittent Fasting'... supposedly works different for men and women. Better for men.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

What is IF'ing?

It's intermittent fasting. I fast for 16 hours, eat for 8. (eat between noon and 8pm).

Leangains.com has a lot of information on it. I've read a lot of studies supporting it so I thought I'd give it a go and see how I feel.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I make a giant frittata one night and then take it to work and nuke slices of it for the rest of the week. Usually eggs, sausage, spinach, onions and garlic (or some similar mix).
  • onceabyrne
    onceabyrne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I love the frittatas and you can change them up to whatever you have around in the house. I'm sure I'll burn out on those eventually. I do boil up a dozen+ hard boiled eggs and usually take them to work for snacks. I'll start grabbing those if I'm in a pinch in the morning. I usually will have salmon for dinner, but can definitely make sure I have some around to go with some quick scrambled eggs in the morning too.

I've read about the IF'ing. If my weight loss slows down considerably or I hit a plateau, I might try it to see if it kicks starts things again.
  • livetothebeatYOLO
    Options
    I scramble a big batch of eggs w turkey and hot sauce. Pop it in the microwave then add some avocado- super filling and my fav!
    Especially if you scramble them in buttahhhh :)
  • greenlj77
    Options
    I second the giant fritatta. I just throw in whatever meat & veg I want and when it's cooled enough I cut it up and parcel it out. I make it a point to eat breakfast because I'm not always 100% sure when or if I'll get lunch.