Please help me get out of the 180's

Options
Hey there. I'm 6'0" and currently at 186. My weight is fluctuating horribly and when I see a bigger number on the scale than the day before (like today) I eat because I'm emotional. I already eat pretty well, so I'm raiding the cabinets for things like graham crackers and peanut butter, string cheese, and popcorn. I think I need some advice, inspiration, commiseration, etc. to get me to 179. Tell me what you do on your worst days? When it's raining, you're tired, you're lazy, hungry, and sad? How do you keep going?

Replies

• VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Flavored or herbal teas are very helpful!
  • sanguinepenguin
    Options
    I do drink a lot of tea :) It's SO hard to stay motivated when I can't seem to get past 184.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck at 184.5 for WEEKS! It is driving me craaaazy. This week, I am working really, really hard to pick snacks that are not empty calories, and making sure to exercise every day. I'm dyin' to get back into the 170's!

I find that snacking isn't always because I'm hungry, but because I'm bored, so I try to make sure I have lots to do and don't go wandering into the kitchen looking for entertainment.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    My absolute biggest advice:

Stop weighing yourself daily if it's affecting you like that. Seriously. Weights naturally fluctuate, especially with women. Hormones make us retain water or make us particularly sensitive to carbs or sugar related water retention. I have two weeks a month where I'm lucky to maintain during those weeks, and I had a tendency to do what you do: eat the negative emotions. Staying off the scale during the times when I know it will be up has made a huge difference in my mental health.

It also looks like your calorie goal is pretty low for your height and weight. I'm 5'10.5" and 184, and my BMR is in the 1600s and even if I'm sedentary all day, I burn at least 2,000 sitting on my butt at work and doing daily stuff even before I exercise. Long story short: A calorie goal of 1200 is really low for your stats. You're creating a deficit of 750 or more some days, which is pretty big given your weight and the amount you want to lose. Though it seems counter-intuitive, increasing your intake will probably help you burn fat AND keep you full enough to avoid the snack attacks.

Good luck!
  • sanguinepenguin
    Options
    How much should I increase by? I would like to lose two pounds per week, and I'm following what MFP says to do. I am sedentary for most of the day, but I work at a stable grooming horses, cleaning stalls, etc., and I ride a couple days a week, plus I run four days a week. I just don't want to overdo it on the calories...
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    someone our size can almost always eat a large amount of calories and lose weight. I am 5'11 and right now, i eat about 1900 a day. MFP uses one method to calculate calories, and its great for some, but doesnt work for others. like shannon said, its about the BMR and your activity during the day. i bet if you set MFP to lose 1 pound a week, and didnt change anything else (sounds like you are pretty active, even though you think youre sedentary) you would still lose about 2 a week for a while. but as it stands right now, you are hurting yourself, more than helping yourself by eating so few calories. which explains why youre scale is not moving. your body isnt getting eough food, so it is holding on for dear life to all the fat stores in the body. feed the machine, it will do the work for you :O)
  • kristen_lynn
    kristen_lynn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I'm 6'0" and currently at 186. My weight is fluctuating horribly and when I see a bigger number on the scale than the day before (like today) I eat because I'm emotional. I already eat pretty well, so I'm raiding the cabinets for things like graham crackers and peanut butter, string cheese, and popcorn. I think I need some advice, inspiration, commiseration, etc. to get me to 179. Tell me what you do on your worst days? When it's raining, you're tired, you're lazy, hungry, and sad? How do you keep going?

shannon and jenn are experts, definitely follow their advice and see if it works for you.

my two cents: drink something. bubbly water, iced tea, etc. not something calorie-heavy, but anything, even (and especially) water. i try to drink something before i give in to a snack attack. a lot of the time, it will calm things down. i may still want snacks but if i just guzzled water, there's less room for my tummy to growl (whether it be a real growl, or a phantom emotional growl). while you drink, ask yourself, "am i hungry? or am i trying to eat my feelings?" for me, it's usually the latter. if i can confront it, it usually lessens the urge quite a bit. i'm always thinking about "sneaking" food, but have to remind myself, if i know i'm sneaking it, and i'm the only one that is hurt/affected by it, then... why do it? gotta outsmart your triggers, whatever they are, and try your best to slap a little logic into them :)

also -- try to ONLY weigh in in the mornings, post-pee (or other things), before you eat or drink anything. that's your real weight. and don't do it every day. i was the biggest offender with this, and would be totally crestfallen to see a 4+ gain between days, but i wasn't taking into account the fact that i was weighing in at 6am and 6pm, in between which i'd drink upwards of a gallon of water, and also, um EAT food, food that has mass! don't torture yourself. just stay on track, eat good food, be active, be aware, and the scale will eventually respond. but just like a watched pot never boils, a watched scale never drops ;)

oh, and also, eat more, honey. we amazons get to enjoy the perks of a naturally higher BMR. and if you're mucking stables, you are DEFINITELY not sedentary. read up on BMR/RMR/TDEE and see if anything appeals to you there... try http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee.

good luck! friend me if you need more support. we're all in the same boat, trying to paddle along together :)
  • sanguinepenguin
    Options
    [/quote]

oh, and also, eat more, honey. we amazons get to enjoy the perks of a naturally higher BMR. and if you're mucking stables, you are DEFINITELY not sedentary. read up on BMR/RMR/TDEE and see if anything appeals to you there... try http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee.

good luck! friend me if you need more support. we're all in the same boat, trying to paddle along together :)
    [/quote]

OK, So I checked out the website - very interesting. I think there is a part of me that KNOWS something about this - three years ago when I was training for my first marathon and trying to lose weight at the time, all I ended up losing was my TOM. So, I knew that that could only be caused by really one thing, but I didn't do anything to check myself. But eating more is counterintuitive... so, anyway, I thought I would set my calorie goal to about 2000-2100. Does that sound about right? Here's my schedule, please "weigh" in :)

Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri: I work for one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening helping a woman with her two horses. It is one hour of light barn work - mainly grooming, feeding, and then picking stalls. I break a sweat, but it's not heavy lifting.

Wed, and Fri: I ride my horse with my trainer for about 30 minutes. It's hard work, I def. break a sweat, heavy breathing, legs are tired when I'm done. Saturday I ride, but it's mainly a walk to get my horse out of the ring so she can decompress.

Sun, Tues, Thur OR Mon, Wed. Fri and Sun (I alternate workout days) I run for 30-40 minutes (sometimes do interval workouts) on the treadmill. I do fifty pushups and 75 situps before I run.

So this is all fine and good, but please keep in mind that because this is ALL I do, the rest of the time I'm home, reading, cooking, whatever. I'm a full-time student, so this will change drastically once my summer break is over.

Does this look appropriate to those of you who have had success with eating more?
  • Jenn152
    Options
    yes, 2000-2100 is a great place to start. with your schedule, your body is going to LOVE this new routine! and please please please give it about 2 weeks at LEAST to get used to it, so dont expect a loss the first week. you may get one, but you also may see a slight gain or a very small loss. but stick with it, because in the long run, this WILL work for you. it worked for me. i have done nothing but UP my calories over time on MFP... and so has shannon. with great success! you can do this and your body will love you for it~
  • sanguinepenguin
    Options
    OK. Sorry to keep harping on this, but I'm vulnerable right now :) I've set my calorie levels to 1900. I've set my carbs, proteins, and fats to 40%, 40%, and 20%, respectively. Anyone else try this? MFP is not happy with me resetting their calculations, but I'm gonna give it a shot. Expect to hear more from me as I'm freaking out about having to eat so much. This is going to require a MAJOR overhaul of my thinking... I already can't believe how much I've eaten today.
  • Jenn152
    Options
    please do NOT weigh yourself for a while... thats my only advice now :O)
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I slowly decreased my cals based on MFP suggestion. At 1600 cals- the pounds were dropping off of me. I decreased to 1540 cals, and my weight increased, then remained higher. Once I increased my calories back to 1600- it started coming off of me again. Although I didn't believe that 60 cals could make that much of a difference- my body told me that it did!!!!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    PS- I was also very emotional when I wasn't eating enough.

Listen to your body- not the scale! (And listen to Jenn- she's a wise woman!)
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above smart and lovely ladies. more calories = more energy = more exercise, and your body feels confident enough to let those extra pounds go.

Also, (although some disagree with this) I believe that WHAT you eat matters almost equally to how MUCH you eat. Technically the way MFP is set up you can eat a McDonalds burger every day as long as you stay within your calorie goal, but I find that certain foods really affect my body negatively and also act as binge triggers. Processed foods make me retain water and give my stomach that "pooch" look and it makes a difference on the scale too. As tall ladies our weight can fluctuate like crazy from day to day. I've "gained" 6 pounds overnight before! :noway:
    The more whole, real, natural foods I eat, the better my body looks and feels. And I don't care what the scale says as long as my stomach is looking and feeling flat!

You have already been successful, you can do this!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    OK. Sorry to keep harping on this, but I'm vulnerable right now :) I've set my calorie levels to 1900. I've set my carbs, proteins, and fats to 40%, 40%, and 20%, respectively. Anyone else try this? MFP is not happy with me resetting their calculations, but I'm gonna give it a shot. Expect to hear more from me as I'm freaking out about having to eat so much. This is going to require a MAJOR overhaul of my thinking... I already can't believe how much I've eaten today.

I think this plan is GREAT! However, with this new goal, I wouldn't eat exercise calories since it appears you've already taken them into account. For example, my daily goal is 2100 but I do NOT eat exercise calories on top of that. If I did, I wouldn't lose weight since 2100 is more than my sedentary TDEE (daily burn without exercise). I love having an unchanging daily goal. I still lose about 1.5 pounds a week on average (some weeks nothing, some weeks 3 pounds).

I second what Jenn said: stay OFF the scale for a few weeks. For your own mental health!

Your macos sound fine. I do 30/30/40 because I love fat and eat a lot of nuts and nut butters :)
  • sanguinepenguin
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! Shannon, I have once again changed my goals, but I knew not to eat back the calories. However, I've done a little more research and have set my goals so that I can "eat back" my exercise - mainly because it makes me feel good to do so and is a little more motivating. So, as it stand right now, I have an ultimate low of 1607 cals, which is what I would consume on days that I do absolutely, truly nothing, or little more than driving my car around. For the rest of the days, I'll be sure to log my exercise and eat back my calories, but not to exceed 2100 cals net. And, I've reset my macros to 35, 35, and 30, which seems a little more likely for me. I like fat too :) I'll also try to switch up my intake a little bit from week to week, just so I can get a feel for what works best for me in terms of hunger and energy.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Hi. Just saw this thread. I have a couple other ideas that may help. One: if you only have 6 pounds to go, you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you are aiming for losing 2 pounds per week. That's ALOT compared to where you are now, so close to your goal weight. I started at 220 lbs and a 2-pound-a-week loss, but that totally stopped as lost about 40 pounds. I then went to 1 pound a week, and later on, for my last 10 pounds, I set my calorie goals for 1/2-lb a week. It's slow, but it's better to see some results than nothing at all.

Second: there's a podcast out there called "Cut the Fat Weightloss." It is truly amazing. What made me think of you is that their latest podcast is "how to lose those last 10 pounds." It's VERY interesting and they give you I think 5 major tips, based upon research and professionals. The entire series, all their shows, are really terrific, but that latest on on the "last 10 pounds" is REALLY fascinating. You can find it on Itunes and also on their website: www.cutthefatpodcast.com; all the shows are on there, as is more information.

Good luck! For me, what worked to get to my goal is a combination of 1) making my diet consist MOSTLY of lean protein and vegetables. Everything else, besides water/tea, is in moderation; that means salads with some protein, eggs/meat/veggies for breakfast, grilled meat with veggies as sides, etc. 2) walking (I don't do strenuous exercise, but I probably should!. That's about it! I don't restrict anything per se, but I hardly ever touch pasta or rice; I go very light on breads and sugars; my go-to carbs are quinoa and stuff like Wasa Rye crisps, low-carb/high fiber tortillas, and some crackers if I must. I absolutely love veggies of all kinds--roasted, salads, sauteed with garlic/olive oil, whatever. Oh, and I almost always have a glass of wine and some dark chocolate every night :).

Good luck!!! By the way, I'm 5' 10", started at 220 and am now down to 144. And I just turned 50 a few months ago. You can do it!!! I was hoping against hope to lose maybe 30 pounds over the course of a year, just get me so I'm not obese and huge...but I lost 30 in the first 3 months, and just kept going. Never plateaued until I reached 148; stayed there all winter, and have dropped the last 4 pounds over the summer.
  • sanguinepenguin
    Options
    Hi CarlyDog's Mom,

I actually have lots more to go! :) This is just a mini goal that I have set for myself so that I can celebrate the small victories. I'd eventually like to be down around 155, which is a completely arbitrary number; I may find that I like myself just fine at 164, or that I'd like to be closer to 150. It's all unknown at this point. But thank you very much for your helpful advice; I'll have to check out that podcast!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I've been hovering between 180- 181 since April!!! It's my fault for sure! Too much wine and going out to eat!!! But I am trying to be more conscious!!!
  • dfsnell
    dfsnell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am reading these posts, and went to the web site (thank you for that information), and my REE is 1804. I exercise 5-6x a week, and burn a minimum of 500 cals per day (sometimes more). Does this mean I should eat 1804 and subtract the workout calories, or add them back? I'm super confused, and my weight loss stopped at the beginning of June, I am sure I am not eating enough.