W6D1 was...

Options
tinkermommc
tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
So much worse than W5d3! Not sure why, just was! I completed it, but just barely. My walk point was 5 ft in front of me when time ran out! Hopefully Day 2 is better!

Replies

• darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was just coming to post something like this! I mean... I got through it. But I thought it would be such a breeze and I really struggled on my 8 minute run. The second 5 minute was just okay.

Last interval on Sunday and then it's on to long runs.

I absolutely love this program and am so glad I'm doing it!
  • classictoaster
    Options
    It's okay, I felt kind of similarly.

Though, I didn't hydrate as well for my run, I think a huge part of why it was so difficult was because I started out fast. I knew I had walking intervals later on, and felt kinda cocky after finishing that 20 minute run two days earlier... big mistake. I need to stick to my longer distance pace, no matter the walking intervals or not. I think it'll get easier again after D2 (which is today for me) since that's when the walking intervals end.

I also think maintaining the same pace is a lot easier on the body than slowing down and speeding up again. d:
  • miannie
    miannie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow, I would not have expected this! Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to work hard to stay out of my head next week!
  • justdazed
    justdazed Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ditto :(

I killed it W5D3 and was able to run for the entire 20 minutes but W6D1 was B A D. Mostly because my knees are killing me. I hobbled through W6D1 & W6D2 and skipped W6D3 in lieu studying for an exam I have tomorrow. I'm going to repeat W6 again next week - ice, yoga, and keeping to low impact exercise seem to be helping.

If anyone else has experienced this please let me know or message me. It's rather disheartening to be in so much pain.
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Did W5D3 yesterday, no pain but I can definitely tell my legs are tired. Was scheduled to run it on Friday, but had an early morning trip so it had to wait till Saturday therefore no 2 day rest period as I had hoped. Really need to get back on schedule, so will just take it slow tomorrow. Lots of times I feel better once I start.

I think you're doing the right thing w/the ice. I began to develop shin splints last week, but iced my shins 3-4 times a day and it really helped. Hope your pain subsides and you can get going again!
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I did W5D3 several weeks ago. It was not as difficult aas I envisioned prior to the workout. The next day I found W6D1 to be difficult and parted from the podcast about half way thorugh the workout and fininshed using my own run./walk points. I was stiff from the 20 min run the prior day. I tried again the next day and was able to complete W6D1 but was still stiff. No knee pain though. After 2 days, the stiffness disappeared.
    Have continued on. After running W6D3, no stiffness. Now in W7 with the long runs...
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am on week 7 and I remember this run well. I also really struggled. After doing the 20 min I thought I would just sail through the next run. For me I think I would have benefited from one extra rest day.
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just did W6D1 and it wasn't any worse than normal. I was back home on my regular route which has a lot of uphill grade to it. Wish I could find a more flat route, that's probably not possible here in East Tennessee. Yes, my legs were a little tired from W5D3, but I made it nonetheless. You guys can do this thing!
  • miannie
    Options
    So, I'm confused: those of you having difficulty, did you run two days in a row or take one rest day in between?
    I should be trying W6D1 today. After taking rest days (I only run every other day, always), my schedule will be thrown off this weekend (it's complicated)... but it'll be nice to see if resting was worth it.
  • classictoaster
    Options
    I always have taken a rest day between C25K workouts, and did so between W5D3 and W6D1. So, it was still difficult for me for some reason, whether it was my jumping into it too quickly at the start of the run, or not getting enough water.

The good news is that D2 and D3 were both easier for me, for whatever reason.
  • icom100
    icom100 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Pleas excuse my ignorance. I am new to MFP and C25K. Are you guys working some of plan together, or are you following separate training plans. I see a lot of posts dealing with how you feel about running 20 minutes, etc. In my experience, if youre working up to a certain distance, you need to work a training plan, and you usually don't get to that distance until close to the end of that plan. Something that helped me a lot was to vary my workouts, and not to do the same thing every day. I was training for a 10 K. My weekly work out would be something like this. Monday: Easy 4 mile run. Tuesday: Faster paced 3 mile run. Wednesday: Easy 3.6 mile run. Thursday: Warm up for 1 mile, then do two miles of 220 intervals, 220 fast, then walk 220. Friday: Easy 3-4 mile run. Saturday: Long easy pace run, between 5 and 8 miles. Ran my first 10 K in under an hour. Middle of the pack, but that was my goal. If you are trying to run the same workout every day, your body is going to give you fits. That is a lot of pounding on your legs and back. Keeping it varied, and RESTING a day, COMPLETELY, to let your body recover is almost a necessity. If youre trying to run a 5 K everyday, and you are not a fit 10 K runner, you are really setting yourself up for injury, boredom, and bad performance days. That has been my experience. Thanks for reading.
    Brian
  • classictoaster
    Options
    Brian,

Everyone on this group is following the C25K running program. You can either check out the pinned thread stating what it is exactly, or you can google it and it will come up. I don't think anyone here is a trained 10K runner - we're all working just to reach 5K distances. ;) Anyway, every day/week is different, building up gradually to this distance. Rest assured, no one's jumping into this. Thanks!
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for chiming in, Toaster!

Yes, this IS a program that we're all following at different points. If you google c25k you will find the training plan on coolrunning.com.

It is very comprehensive and there are a lot of podcasts that are free to help you with your program.
  • miannie
    Options
    By the way! I did W6D1 today and also had a bit harder time than usual, especially during the first 2 running intervals. It wasn't too bad, but not the breeze that last week was. However, it was also much hotter outside this week than last week and I think that had something to do with it - the indoor track I run on isn't well air-conditioned.