Milk

Options
MaraDiaz
MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
I felt better when I drank milk in my coffee throughout the day than I do after 2 weeks of giving it up. I intend to remain low carb (30ish a day or so instead of the under 20 I've been doing, though), but I'm going to add milk back into my diet.

The question is, should I go whole milk or back to the %2 I've always drank?

Replies

• LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Whole milk or cream is even better. If you have a fat phobia, then see if you can find Hood Calorie Countdown. Very low in carb
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Whole milk or cream is even better. If you have a fat phobia, then see if you can find Hood Calorie Countdown. Very low in carb

I hadn't drunk coffee at all until around 2 months ago, then I discovered coffee and heavy whipping cream ... Oh yeh! Beats my tea and 3 sugars habit any day :)

Taken me 40 years but I got there in the end ... Fat good ...

(edit) Some people like to add coconut oil into coffee, I can see the benefits but I'm not wild on the taste.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Thank you both. I really don't like cream, so I'm going to go with whole milk and use very little. Just enough to 'cool' the coffee and sip on for a few calories every while or so.

I wonder if the way I have been eating this past two weeks is messing me up because I can't force down much food throughout the day and tend to eat one big meal instead (hot weather completely destroys my appetite for things like steak and eggs). I know that's not good for blood sugar levels! I figure, taking in a few calories throughout the day before I finally get hungry enough to eat a big protein meal might steady me out a little.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I like coconut milk in my coffee (or coconut oil, if I run out, but I prefer coconut milk), or almond milk. I have issues with cow's milk. I use the unsweetened kind (almond or coconut or a blend of the 2), and only 1/4 cup or so, so only 1 carb (if that).

I know what you mean about this heat, though - I prefer salad then! :)
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    Thank you both. I really don't like cream, so I'm going to go with whole milk and use very little. Just enough to 'cool' the coffee and sip on for a few calories every while or so.

I wonder if the way I have been eating this past two weeks is messing me up because I can't force down much food throughout the day and tend to eat one big meal instead (hot weather completely destroys my appetite for things like steak and eggs). I know that's not good for blood sugar levels! I figure, taking in a few calories throughout the day before I finally get hungry enough to eat a big protein meal might steady me out a little.

Regarding the milk thing, depending on where you are at goal wise it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but don't be surprised if you stall. Were you giving up coffee all together, or just the milk in your coffee? And really, a dribble of cream in your coffee dilutes to the consistency of milk- but I understand personal preferences so if you don't like it, you don't like it.

Regarding the last part of your post, this is a very enlightening article:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
    The eating more frequently thing is a myth. Also, if you are on a low carb diet, you don't have to worry about blood sugar levels being inconsistent- it stabilizes them quite nicely regardless of the frequency of eating.

I am a firm believer in waiting for hunger (stomach-growling hunger) to eat. If that means I only eat once a day, then I only eat once a day. Some days I eat 8-9 times, but I only eat until I am satisfied, not FULL.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You can minimize carbs by doing half whole milk/half almond milk. That reduces calories too. I for example use 1/4 c raw milk and 1/4 c almond milk.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    I may try mixing it with almond milk next time, thanks! Might add a nice sweet taste to my coffee, too.

As for blood sugar, maybe it wasn't that, it could have been that I simply wasn't getting enough calories because I couldn't force myself to eat enough of the foods I had on hand that were allowed. I've been under 1200 calories lately. Could be the heat, too, no telling. It's cooler today, and I do feel much less bleh.

I was drinking black coffee when I switched to Atkins induction, before that, I had started to cut out bread and was drinking coffee with milk. So I've gone back to milk in my coffee because I felt better than I did the past few days on Atkins, even though the Atkins flu part passed after the first few days.

I'm going to see if I can still lose on 30ish carbs a day, if not, I'll drop down again. But I want to exercise, and the past few days on Atkins, I couldn't at all. Again, though, it might have also been the horrible heat. I don't know. I'll experiment and find out.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im a fan of Light Cream in my coffee.. It doesnt feel 'heavy' when I have it...
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have used cream in my coffee, but I don't like it. So I use half and half. And now I put coconut oil and half and half in it. If you were to use milk, I would stick to whole. I also have used almond milk in it... but ewww.
  • shar140
    Options
    But I want to exercise, and the past few days on Atkins, I couldn't at all. Again, though, it might have also been the horrible heat. I don't know. I'll experiment and find out.

If you just recently switched to low-carb eating, be careful of your electrolyte levels, especially with this heat!
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/

Or even if you haven't lowered your carbs recently, be careful. Last week with it being 100+ for 4 days in a row (and I was outside quite a bit for 2 of those days), I put back the water but didn't think to replace the electrolytes and felt AWFUL. I figured it out after a few days!
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the way I have been eating this past two weeks is messing me up because I can't force down much food throughout the day and tend to eat one big meal instead (hot weather completely destroys my appetite for things like steak and eggs). I know that's not good for blood sugar levels!

In addition to lowcarbing (LCHF) I also Fast-5 form of IF. I don't eat at all from 10pm to 5pm and then I eat big. My fluids during the day are black coffee in the AM, water , and an energy drink abound 2pm (5 calories) . So I'm not eating breakfast or lunch.
    I'm not diabetic so I don't test my blood sugar but my energy levels and hunger are way more constant throughout the day than they were when I was eating 3x.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    But I want to exercise, and the past few days on Atkins, I couldn't at all. Again, though, it might have also been the horrible heat. I don't know. I'll experiment and find out.

If you just recently switched to low-carb eating, be careful of your electrolyte levels, especially with this heat!
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/

Or even if you haven't lowered your carbs recently, be careful. Last week with it being 100+ for 4 days in a row (and I was outside quite a bit for 2 of those days), I put back the water but didn't think to replace the electrolytes and felt AWFUL. I figured it out after a few days!

This could be part of my problem with the heat in general. I seem to be doing better on 30ish carbs a day, and the pee stick is still second darkest purple, just like it's been all along. No serious cravings, and I managed a workout last night. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if all this water I'm guzzling is flushing electrolytes along with sweating from working out.

Is there a good low carb, no sugar solution to putting my electrolytes back in balance? If so, I'm going to go find it!
  • shar140
    Options
    Is there a good low carb, no sugar solution to putting my electrolytes back in balance? If so, I'm going to go find it!

http://www.primalgirl.com/2011/02/28/free-sports-drink-recipe/

I've seen other recipes that include potassium chloride. Last time I made this, I used a salt/potassium blend.

V8 or tomato juice is also good, but slightly carb-y (10g for 8oz; don't remember net carbs, but has at least a couple grams of fiber).
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    In addition to lowcarbing (LCHF) I also Fast-5 form of IF. I don't eat at all from 10pm to 5pm and then I eat big. My fluids during the day are black coffee in the AM, water , and an energy drink abound 2pm (5 calories) . So I'm not eating breakfast or lunch.
    I'm not diabetic so I don't test my blood sugar but my energy levels and hunger are way more constant throughout the day than they were when I was eating 3x.

Wow, I thought my natural 6pm to around 10am 'fast' was unusual, fair play for making it work for you.

I read somewhere that around 18 hours was the sweet spot for an IF and after that the benefits drop off so you are right in that zone.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

http://www.primalgirl.com/2011/02/28/free-sports-drink-recipe/

I've seen other recipes that include potassium chloride. Last time I made this, I used a salt/potassium blend.

V8 or tomato juice is also good, but slightly carb-y (10g for 8oz; don't remember net carbs, but has at least a couple grams of fiber).

Thanks! I'll have to look into this. I was eyeing gatoraide of all things in the store today, kind of weird to crave something I almost never drink!

I had to give up milk again, I think even that tiny amount might have contributed to my week-long stall and maybe added in some cravings. Oh well, back to strict Atkins style. Peanuts and onions excepted.
  • kimmbird
    kimmbird Posts: 55
    Options
    I have been advices to add a pinch of salt into ea glass of water since I am not getting all that extra sodium from eating out. It has made a huge difference w my electrolytes wo using a chemical packed sports drink. I flavor mine w a bit of lemon juice or very weak tea.. Even w the extra salt my sodim values on MFP Are still not being met. Unless I eat out ;)