How important is consistency in calories?

Options
kimberly2504
kimberly2504 Posts: 60 Member
I just started EM2WL this week. I came from a few weeks of eating at around 1500 (and not eating exercise calories) and upped my goal to my TDEE 15% cut amount of 2045. My BMR is calculated around 1750. I decided not to do a full reset because I was not eating below BMR for very long, and just to move my calories up.

I know when doing a reset you are helping to train your body to count on a certain amount of food every day. This week, my calories have been at: 1950, 2270, 1980, 1950, 1825. I'm still getting used to the 550 calorie allowance increase and how to manage it, and one day I messed up my calculations, and a few days I ate too low during the day and had to eat a lot at night. I'm also struggling some days with not using up my excess on junk, but using it on healthy foods without also hitting way too low.

My question is: If I'm not doing a reset, how important is it to keep my actual calorie intake at the exact same level every day? Can I fluctuate from day to day if I'm still eating below TDEE and above BMR? Will this affect the consistency of my loss?

Thanks in advance for the help! I'm feeling pretty good about it so far. I'm down .4 lbs this week, but I haven't been exercising due to hurting my neck. My TDEE is calculated at lightly active, so that may be part of the reason I've hit a little below goal most days.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    My calories are different for alot of the days, but you should really try your best to hit your goal because with the cut already factored in you don't want to go too low from that number.. going over obviously isn't as big a deal (but doing it the whole week will slow your weight loss cause your cut number maybe 15% but your eating at 10%).. you should try to get to your goal number though everyday..
    Sounds like you need to start more even meals than one big one and a few small ones.. I have that problem on the weekends but during the week its easier to manage.
  • kimberly2504
    Options
    Thank you for the help!

I'm definitely still getting used to the new amount. Some days I would go high early in the day and run short at the end, and some days I would eat way too little and be stuck with a lot by dinner time. When I was eating at 1500 I got used to it and came to that pretty naturally, and I'm sure I will with this new number too, just takes some practice.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    For me, the main reason to stay consistent and eat close to ALL your cals alotted is for simple knowledge. If you can say you ate the same amount every day/same amount of exercise each week, over a month's period, you will see the bigger picture (I lost ___ pounds over 4 weeks) ....That's how I look at it. If it's not "working" you can up or decrease your cals as needed.

In that vein, I try to pre plan my meals by plugging in all my proteins for the day as much as possible (carbs and fats work around the protein). I prefer to eat heavy-ish in the morning. It prevents me from overeating in the evening, personally. So, I have about 300 cals in pre/post workout snacks, 500 breakfast, 500 lunch. That' leaves me 600 for afternoon snack + dinner and it works for me. Good luck!
  • lovesharmony
    lovesharmony Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For me, the main reason to stay consistent and eat close to ALL your cals alotted is for simple knowledge. If you can say you ate the same amount every day/same amount of exercise each week, over a month's period, you will see the bigger picture (I lost ___ pounds over 4 weeks) ....That's how I look at it. If it's not "working" you can up or decrease your cals as needed.

In that vein, I try to pre plan my meals by plugging in all my proteins for the day as much as possible (carbs and fats work around the protein). I prefer to eat heavy-ish in the morning. It prevents me from overeating in the evening, personally. So, I have about 300 cals in pre/post workout snacks, 500 breakfast, 500 lunch. That' leaves me 600 for afternoon snack + dinner and it works for me. Good luck!

Good idea
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    This is from one of the stickys from Kiki:

Why should I eat the same every day? What happens if I go on vacation/my activity level drops for that week? Should I eat less? What if I get sick.......Reasons why staying consistent is so important in the beginning.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6j43Y-EIss
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oa7kZxp2EU&feature=plcp
  • kimberly2504
    Options
    Thank you!