failed first try at W5D3

Options
susannahcooks
susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
This is a major head game for me apparently - I had to stop after the first 5 - even though I did 8s on Saturday with ease. Anyone have any hints/tricks/tips/suggestions? Have considered just skipping it and going on to week 6. Have also considered just redoing week 5 and running at it again.

Replies

• classictoaster
    Options
    My only suggestion is to gather yourself back up, get a great playlist in gear, and get out there and try again.

As for the fine tunings, you need to get out of your head. I also have trouble with the mental aspect. Sometimes I think about my next few weeks of workouts, or envision myself running a 5K race. Are you jumping into your run at too fast a pace? If you feel like you're burning out, slow down, and start slow.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally found W5 to be the perfect prelude to W6. The program's worked well for me so far (about to start W7), so I try to trust the program.

If you fail out again, maybe repeat D2?
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Don't skip it. Trust me, it feels amazing to actually finish it!
    1) Get the right music to get you through it. I love upbeat stuff like Black Eyed Peas and Kanye. A lot of Top 40 sort of stuff.
    2) Realize it's mental. Staying focused on finishing it was physically doable for me but I just had issuing getting my mind off of the task at hand to actually get it done. If you need more details, PM me and I'll send you some suggestions.
    3) Get the right gear. Shoes, sports bra, etc.
    4) Have fun!
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    thanks guys - I have the right gear, and a great play list that normally works. Its all in my head I'm sure.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    By now you should have completed two 8 min segements in one workout. If you are comfortable with it, 20 min is not that much more. There is a workout in w6 that has two 10 min segments if you need this. If you need to slow your pace down to where you are comfortable that you can complete the workout. Maintain a pace where you are not thinking about aches, pains, breathing and enjoy the music.

When I ran the 20 min segement, I over ran by 2 minutes because of an issue with my mp3 player. I also would take note of I far I had gone at the end of each music track in stead of every tree or light pole I passed. I was zoning out to the music. If you can get to that place you will do fine. The purpose of this workout is to allow you to sample the longer runs. W6 has a 25 min and w7-9 are all 25 min and above. Its important you complete this run. And its not that difficult. Don't expect to set speed records, just complete the 20 minutes. The are plenty of chances to improve in the comming weeks.

When you complete the 20 min. run, you will be on a high for a couple of workout days....Then you become a runner with 25 min runs. They are doable also... I hate them too especially since I need to do them in early morning before it gets hot...
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You got a lot of good advice here Susannah. I did W5D3 Saturday and It was challenging. (I can definitely tell I'm not in my 20's anymore.) Anyway, I think the main thing is to sloooow down. I ran it almost a full minute per mile slower than my normal pace. I focused on breathing deep and evenly. Everyone's right, don't skip it. It's a great feeling to do it.

I'm not running to any music currently, but have the app by RunDouble. It beeps every five seconds and I'm so obsessive that I count the beeps. The good thing is I know exactly where I am in the run and can slow down if I'm feeling winded (and I did) and have a significant amount left. Not sure if it would help you, but it works for me.

Best of luck to you!

Oh, I run at 6:15a and find that it helps me. It's consistently in the upper 60's here and so much better than running in the hotter parts of the day.
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    Thanks Keith - yeah I was out at 6 this morning to avoid the heat too - this time that had nothing to do with it :) I can't put my finger on anything that was tripping me up - nothing hurt, wasn't out of breath (yet), but body just said "ENOUGH" and persuasively enough my brain said "oh, okay. let's just walk the rest of the run" - now I walked at a good clip to "make up for it" - I averaged 3.6 mph, but it wasn't what I was aiming for. :)
  • miannie
    miannie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was not checking the time for as long as I could and making a specific playlist of just the right amount of songs to carry me through. I didn't have to worry about finding a good song in my usual playlist because I just picked the best songs that were basically guaranteed to motivate me.
    When I start getting in my head I also just start thinking about how awesome life is going to be when I get in shape, and all the cool things I'm going to do :)
    Good luck! If we all could do it you definitely can.
  • lizo11
    lizo11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I will agree with everyone else, and say don't skip it!! It will feel awesome to accomplish it.

And a couple of questions, how much water had you had the night before? How about dinner, was it carb heavy? (I know for me, both of these factors tend to slow me down and screw me up for morning runs.)

Also, you did take a rest day or two in between the runs?

Good luck! You can do this!!
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    And a couple of questions, how much water had you had the night before? How about dinner, was it carb heavy? (I know for me, both of these factors tend to slow me down and screw me up for morning runs.)
    Also, you did take a rest day or two in between the runs?
    Good luck! You can do this!!

I had had lowish water, now that you mention it - I think I came in RIGHT at 8 cups on Sunday - I'm usually closer to 12.
    And my dinner was not carb heavy (in fact I do low carb generally, so nothing is high-carb), but I did have an early dinner (well lunch/dinner combined of a ginormous cobb salad at about 4pm) and my overall calorie count was lowish for the day (1200 or so - I usually do closer to 1500-1600), but it was an early dinner with no snacks..so had been awhile since I'd eaten when I ran). Sunday was a rest day - so I had had a day off between runs. Am planning on retrying on Friday morning (work out with trainer tonight, weights tomorrow, volleyball Thursday) so will make sure calories and water looks good Thursday. Thanks for the tips!