Headaches/breathing?

Options
Sarasari
Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
Mostly I swim breast stroke. When I do swim freestlye, I take way more breaths then I should.I was taught to be faster ,that each arm should go twice, before you take a breath.Today when I tried that after 2 laps I had the worst headache ever.I think it was caused by holding my breath too long. Has anyone experienced this? Will I ever be able to do freestyle properly? How did you overcome it?

Thanks,
Sara

Replies

• FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Give it a try again breathing every 3rd stroke (not each side, but total). Alternating sides may help! You may also consider getting a snorkel so you don't have to breathe with your stroke if it always gives you headaches :)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to swim freestyle (front crawl) properly. I can't get the breathing position right and then get to that panicky stage where I hold my breath and I know my kicks are all wrong and not coordinating with my arms and that's usually the point when I have to switch back to breaststroke or start coughing.

I've never had headaches from holding my breath; I don't often suffer from headaches, apart from ocular ones (I have photosensitivity) or dehydration/stress headaches (if I stay up late working/worrying)

Sorry not much help really! :ohwell:
  • royalfish
    royalfish Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Focus on your out-breath, not your in-breath. You can breathe every other stroke or every third, whichever is most comfortable (I usually breathe on alternating sides, every other stroke). The important thing is that you breathe out HARD before you take EACH in-breath. Completely eliminate all the air from your lungs before each and every in-breath. This will prevent hyperventilation, which can cause chest pain, dizziness and headaches.

Hope this helps.
  • riftknight
    riftknight Posts: 21
    Options
    It also helps to practice breathing on a kick-board. One of the things that I always see when watching other people swim, is the exagerated body roll that accompanies breathing. You should practice keeping your shoulders and body parallel to the pool bottom and just rolling your head to the side with your stroke. This alone will cut down on dizziness and head-aches, but combine it with the other suggestions provided and I think you'll see a major difference.
  • Lianggui95
    Lianggui95 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have experienced those horrible pounding headaches when I swim. For me this always happens in the beginning of my swim season. Try swimming slowly and focus on breathing every third stroke. The best advice I can give is KEEP SWIMMING and drink lots of water. When you swim everyday your body gets used to the strain that its being put on it. So once your body gets used to it the headaches will disappear, promise!
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that every fourth stroke is the only "proper" way to do freestyle. I think that is "old fashioned" coaching. I submit this video of Michael Phelps as evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax77_hHq9Dc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Personally, I breathe every 2 strokes. I have practiced the other side because it's useful to be able to do both sides but mostly I do the same side because it allows me to push harder and get a better workout. I don't get headaches from swimming, but I have experienced them from other exercises like the elliptical - and it's usually due my breathing getting messed up.

So, basically, I would say do what makes you feel comfortable. If that's every 2 strokes then so be it.
  • riftknight
    riftknight Posts: 21
    Options
    To be honest, if you're breathing every other stroke, freestyle tends to be lop-sided and encourages bad habits. I think every third stroke so that you're alternating which side you're breathing on is probably the best technique.
  • melindaberg
    Options
    USA swim and speedo recommends you breath on the odd, 3, 5 or 7. I personally do 3 with every once in a while doing 5. If you go to speedo,pace club they have technique videos on there that may help you. Hope this helps. If it continues use a snorkel format while.