Swimmers Weigh In...

Options
MrsWilsoncroft
MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
Hi All

I thought I'd make a thread for us swimmers who are enjoying the exercise to lose weight and get fit :happy:

Well after starting swimming last week and going three times in the week I lost 2.8lbs and lost 3 inches from my waist which I was really pleased about.:love:

Let me know how you have all got on too.

Love Stacey xxx

Replies

• SnowAngel80
    Options
    Hi Stacey!

I have been swimming 5 times in the last two weeks..I feel so energized yet tired when I am done! I have lost 5 lbs so far. I haven't measured my waist but I am on the last hole in my belt for the first time in 6 months so I think that it is working!

:-)
    Betsy
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    Options
    This week I have lost another 0.8 lbs so again I am very pleased :happy:

Well done on your weight loss hun, you are doing great xxx
  • PeloMichelle
    PeloMichelle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great Job!! You've inspired me to up my swimming from 2-3 days a week to 4.

You all are getting fantastic results-WTG!!!
  • riftknight
    riftknight Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi there,

After spending the last eight years in school, behind a desk, I'm finally getting back into swimming as my primary form of exercise. I just started back yesterday and plan on swimming 5 days a week for about an hour - 1 1/2 hours each day.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I swam to lose my first 40 lbs. Right now I'm running because it's hard to fit swimming in while the kids are home for the summer. But I'll be back in the pool come fall!!
  • SnowAngel80
    Options

Thanks! Wonderful job on the weight loss!!

I swam my first mile last night! Not all at once, took some breaks but felt so wonderful for doing it! xx
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Thanks! Wonderful job on the weight loss!!

I swam my first mile last night! Not all at once, took some breaks but felt so wonderful for doing it! xx

Hooray SnowAngel!
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm swimming 3 times a week and doing aerobic class on the other two week nights. Two of my kids are on a rec league swim team so I'm at the pool three nights a week to pick them up anyway.

I've been swimming since May of last year, and being very serious about the laps since August. I started out having a hard time doing 10 laps. I did my first mile around October. I built up going farther and farther until I was able to go three miles around March. I've noticed a lot of up and down in my distance ability. It seems like I make jumps in my speed as my strength grows, and when it does I go way back on my distance before exhaustion hits. This last round in May I was able to get my sustained speed under 1 min per 50yd lap and when I do I went clear back to only being able to go 25 laps before I was dead. I'm now up to 50 laps at that pace.

I've lost 41 lbs since I started and I'm down 34 since joining MFP.
  • riftknight
    riftknight Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm swimming 3 times a week and doing aerobic class on the other two week nights. Two of my kids are on a rec league swim team so I'm at the pool three nights a week to pick them up anyway.

I've been swimming since May of last year, and being very serious about the laps since August. I started out having a hard time doing 10 laps. I did my first mile around October. I built up going farther and farther until I was able to go three miles around March. I've noticed a lot of up and down in my distance ability. It seems like I make jumps in my speed as my strength grows, and when it does I go way back on my distance before exhaustion hits. This last round in May I was able to get my sustained speed under 1 min per 50yd lap and when I do I went clear back to only being able to go 25 laps before I was dead. I'm now up to 50 laps at that pace.

I've lost 41 lbs since I started and I'm down 34 since joining MFP.

Awesome Matt! To increase endurance and speed throw in some pulling sets and kicking sets between all-out swimming sets.
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    Awesome Matt! Switching things up is a good idea. Do some fast short stuff, and some slower longer sets.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I started swimming again 6 months ago. I'm now up to 5 times a week for an hour a time. So far I've lost nearly 60lbs and 7 inches off my waist. Don't think I'm ever going to stop!!
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    We are away this week visiting family so no proper lap swimming for me this week. <whine> My sister does have a backyard pool at least.

I am swimming laps MWF in the outdoor long course pool this summer. I add 100 meters each time, at 2,500m now. I'm running a bit on T/H and biking just about every day, so not trying to overdo the swimming days (i.e. three days a week is enough for now.
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I started swimming about a month ago, once my semester ended and I had time to actually use the pool at school. I go about 3 times a week (only open four days a week), for about an hour. I haven't lost much as all, about 5 lbs in the past 2.5 months, and most of that before started swimming. However, I have noticed my core/midsection has gotten a lot stronger and firmer. I wish I was dropping pounds, though!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    Options
    Well done to everyone :)
    I stayed the same at my weigh in on friday x
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    The most important change for me is that adding swimming to my routine has allowed me to increase the number of days a week that I workout.

Before, my week was 1-2 strength days and 2-3 cardio days, or 4 days. My cardio was a combination of elliptical, treadmill, and stationary bike. The problem with that routine was that it was too leg-focused. Now, I've added 2-3 days of swimming which uses muscles more evenly and also uses significantly more arms, back and core than the other cardio. Now, I'm able to average 6 days a week of workout.

Before i joined MFP I had lost 17 lbs over 10 months. In the last 2 months, withnthis new schedule and MFP, I've lost 9 lbs. so the rate of loss has definitely increased. I was already trying to eat healthy, but I'm sure the diet tracking in MFP has improved things a lot in my diet so the change isn't entirely due to only the swimming.

All I can say is this combo is working for me!
  • melindaberg
    Options
    I just started swimming two weeks ago. This is natural to me, I've been on a swim team and taught lessons. So far I really haven't lost much but this is only my second week. I'm loving the workouts. I surprised myself by being able to do a lap of butterfly today.
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    Hooray for butterfly, melinda!

I did my longest swim of the summer on Tuesday. 2,600 meters in an hour. Slow but continuous!

Next week I'll try for 3,000 meters at some point, I think.
  • melindaberg
    Options
    Congrats on the 2600. I did 3200 hard today it took mt 90 minutes. Keep up the great work.
  • lililo90
    lililo90 Posts: 6
    Options
    wow! 2.600m I´m trying to do the same distance in one hour. but i´m finding it a bit difficult. I start doing 600m warm up, then I stretch and then I do some butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle equally distributed to 2000m total. What do you guys think? Need some advice thanks!!
  • melindaberg
    Options
    Do you use paddles at any point? Sometimes that can help you learn to speed your stroke up. Just keep at it and you'll get faster just by continuing to do it. I just got back to pool workouts after 10 years of trying to do land workouts. I realize why I never stuck with the land programs.