New to group, new to LC ??

Options
Stripple
Stripple Posts: 62 Member
Hello guy's I am new to LC eating, have a few questions
Is smoked mackerel ok for LC
What is cauliflower rice
anyone know where I can get spaghetti squash in UK ( never seen it before)
Is there a LC gravy out there
What carb level should I be looking for on food labels
Does your calorie level rise when doing LC

Thanking you all in anticipation x

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    ~~~~The smoking process can cause some water retention problems for some people. I would consider this as a preserved meat and under Atkins' guidelines, its not something they would focus on for consumption.

What is cauliflower rice
    ~~~~Basically you boil/steam up your cauliflower as if it were potatoes. And with a ricer, you press it through/spin it through and the cauliflower comes out in small rice-like pieces...

anyone know where I can get spaghetti squash in UK ( never seen it before)
    ~~~~Our UK friends here and Group Leader would know better...

Is there a LC gravy out there
    ~~~~Gravy is made either from a roux (butter and flour) or by thickening with corn starch.... if there is a LC gravy its going to be loaded with unnecessary ingredients, sodium and who knows, other junk as well!

What carb level should I be looking for on food labels
    ~~~~Generally a low-carb intake means no refined carbohydrates: no breads, pasta, rice, corn, flour - at least by Atkins' standards. For medical-related low carb intakes, it would mean keeping your carbohydrate counts to a minimum... the fresher the food the better. Generally a low carb intake would never involve prepackaged, preprocessed, refined or convenience foods...

Does your calorie level rise when doing LC .... It can based on your hunger levels, how well you are making the necessary food-related changes, etc. Then there are those who are making sure they are not eating below their BMR.

~~~~But with the clean-eating that traditionally goes with Low Carb, you tend to feel satisfied alot sooner because of the intake of healthy fats, proteins, and low-carb fresh vegetables. Some people can be satisfied with 1400...
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    ~~~~The smoking process can cause some water retention problems for some people. I would consider this as a preserved meat and under Atkins' guidelines, its not something they would focus on for consumption.

But I'd eat it (and smoked salmon, and pork ribs and beef brisket) any chance you game me.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    get in the habit of reading the label of every single thing you put in your mouth.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK too :o)

On the back of what people have already said, here's my two pennith:

- I eat smoked fish (salmon, mackerel) with no issues. Look out for the peppered/crusted versions & read the nutrition labels as these toppings add carbs. In fact, one of my favourite snacks/starters is smoked mackerel pate (whizzed in a food processor with full fat cream cheese, a tbsp double/heavy cream and a queeze of lemon juice, pinch of black/cayenne pepper- serve with cucumber strips/pepper strips/celery).

- To make cauli rice I take approx 1/4 head cauliflower, chop it into small pieces and then pulse in a food processor until the size & appearence of rice. If you dont have a food processor you can use a cheese grater. Then put in a microwaveable dish and cover (you do not need to add water). Microwave on high for 3 mins. Et voila- a good rice substitute!

- Spaghetti Squash is not usually sold in the UK (well, at supermarkets anyway). It may be worth checking farm shops when they are in season here (from August- Late October). I get mine from my Mum, who very kindly grows me a batch every year on her allottment.

- Gravy- (UK Style gravy) I make mine by using the meat juices from your roast (beef/pork or chicken) and add water and thicken with xanthan gum (available at some Supermarkets, and Holland & Barrett), add a beef/veg/chicken oxo cube and black pepper.

- UK Labels already have the NET Carbs on them, so you do not need to subtract the fibre content.

- Everyone is different calorie wise. I tend to count my carbs & not my calories. Some days my cals end up at 2000+ and some days at 1400, generally they are around 1600. Find whats right for your hunger levels but you don't need to ever feel hungry!
  • Stripple
    Stripple Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, lots of good tips.
    Will get myself of to H&B
  • nickiboop
    nickiboop Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi

you need to make a shopping list for Holland and Barrett - its my new favourite shop !

things to look out for there are :
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Linseed (for muffin in a minute)
    Multi vitamins
    Sugar free sweets/chocolate

Good luck !
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    get in the habit of reading the label of every single thing you put in your mouth.

Or better yet, eat foods without labels - fresh veggies & meats!