C25k W7 and beyond: Transitioning to 25 - 30 min segments

Options
jsidel126
jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
Anyone have difficulty transitioning from 10 min to 25 min segments in w7?

I have had little difficulty progressing through the prior 6.5 wks. I can finish the longer segments (>20 min) but they cause me to lose speed the longer I run until I am "running" significantly slower. My legs get to the point where there is no bounce left and it is just one foot in front of the other until the segment is over. I assume with practice the legs will rise to the occasion and my overall speed will increase.

Have another way to increase speed other than brute force, put in the time/distance methods? Anyone use hill sprints to improve speed?

Thanks...

Replies

• phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    For me, each week was about getting it done not my speed. Once I graduated the program, then I worried about speed. There's nothing wrong with slowing down to pace yourself to get through the times. Good luck! :)
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    For me, each week was about getting it done not my speed. Once I graduated the program, then I worried about speed. There's nothing wrong with slowing down to pace yourself to get through the times. Good luck! :)

Yes, this. One thing I've seen over and over again with regards to c25k is to SLOW DOWN and worry about speed later.

I'm running anywhere from a 10-12 minute mile when I do my longer runs. And that's OK. I'd like to eventually be able to average 10 minutes and maybe get lower from there. But if that happens after the 9 weeks are up, that's okay too.

The other thing that I read on Runner's World is that practice will naturally bring up your speed. Once you're running 3 miles a couple times a week, your speed will increase quite a bit.

You can also google tempo runs for some more info.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I agree about slowing it down. The first time I did 25 minutes I was jogging at such a slow pace that it was ridiculous. But i finished it! and now I'm on Week 7 Day 2 and my plan is to take it slow. That is kind of what I'm thinking for the rest of the weeks, just finish! I figure once I'm done with this program I can work on improving my time later. I'll be happy if I can come in around 30-33 minutes.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Girl! you are passing me up by a mile! I'm running 12-13 minute miles right now. I'm going to wait until my body gets more used to the running and my heart rate doesn't want to stay super high until I start worrying about the speed. I just want to get through now.
  • wfnugent
    wfnugent Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Howdy all. I found I needed to slow from 6mph (10min miles) when I was running shorter distances to 5.5 (11min miles) so I could make it all the way through 25 minutes and I am dogging it at the end. Tomorrow is W7D2 and will report back how I do. As my wife tells me with each home repair project - slow and steady wins the race.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Girl! you are passing me up by a mile! I'm running 12-13 minute miles right now. I'm going to wait until my body gets more used to the running and my heart rate doesn't want to stay super high until I start worrying about the speed. I just want to get through now.

oh my HOPE is for 30-33 minutes when I'm done with the program! right now i am not quite that fast! :)
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's fine to run slower when you do a longer run...come on, this is new territory!
    If in time you decide to run longer distances, you will come across the 'long slow run' where you do a steady run slower than your normal pace to get used to a longer distance.
    I didn't time myself but I think I was probably running about a 10 minute mile when I finished C25K last autumn. I did my first timed 5K in 30:08 last October. My best time is 24:21 this June. So with practice you do get faster!
  • Elisac2008
    Elisac2008 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did w7d1 today. I had a hard time with w6d3, but w7d1 felt a lot better. I am crawling compared to the rate everyone else is going. I am just happy to finish. I am hoping that with time I can speed up a little. I tried to speed up a little with w6d3, but my body felt achier.