Besides losing weight, what has eating keto done for you?

For me, I'd definitely have to say it's all this extra energy I have now! I also feel like I have sooo much more self control when it comes with food, something I've had trouble with my whole life.

Replies

• Dree3
    Dree3 Posts: 54 Member
    I was always terrible about snacking and eating out of boredom. I could kill an entire bag or Doritos in one sitting. Half a pizza, easy, and then probably the other half later. On keto I'm just never hungry. I don't snack at all anymore, but the best part is I don't even want it. When I did low fat / low cal I was constantly hungry. So that's definitely my favorite part so far :)
  • steepedintruth
    steepedintruth Posts: 7 Member
    Same as Dree, I've always been weak to random acts of snacks. My attempts at low-fat dieting also left me ravenously hungry, and it felt like nothing could sate it. I'm only about a month into low-carbing, but I'm feeling optimistic about staying true to this way of life.
  • My asthma symptoms have improved a bit since I started keto. I'm still sensitive to particulate matter and have difficulty breathing at times (hoping this will improve as the pounds come off,) but I can tell that the inflammation in my throat has lessened. It no longer hurts when I cough, and it feels like I've taken my albuterol inhaler even when I haven't.
  • kaisawheel
    kaisawheel Posts: 15 Member
    OH GOD LET ME COUNT THE WAYS:

Heartburn gone, stomach aches gone, gas gone, bloat gone, post nasal drip gone, weird breathing regulation issue gone, arthritis symptoms greatly improved, energy EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME, I no longer give 2 ****s about food - I eat to live for the most part, pimples gone, self control greatly improved. General life greatly improved. I just feel better all around. I really really love it.
  • deanna200284
    deanna200284 Posts: 23 Member
    Cooking skills have increased greatly. Cardio is so much easier now. No more acne at all! I used to get zits all the time but my face has been clear for several months now.
  • Shnarg
    Shnarg Posts: 2
    My favorite benefit, after weight loss, is it's help to curb compulsive eating. Maybe is reduces sugar and white bread craving, or maybe the diet itself provides that structure, but I'm not standing in the kitchen eating four slices of buttered toast with jam. I actually have to work on keeping my calories up above 1200. Too often I'll let my self slip into a delirious/weakness that before would have been taken care of by snacking. I'm actually struggling with a little eggs and cheese fatigue right now, but I can handle a social gathering surrounded by beer and potato chips, and ice-cream easily, whereas that was impossible before Keto.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    The standard responses?
    sleep without snoring
    no heartburn
    almost no gassiness
    no acne
    can go a day without eating and feel fine

and the NSFW responses...
    My girlfriend can wrap her legs much tighter around me, she can stay on top for longer, my uhhhhh "equipment" has gained a couple inches in length (and some girth) due to the increased available blood supply i guess, and the volume of what comes out at the end has increased by a lot, which makes her very happy.
  • seasicksquid
    seasicksquid Posts: 73 Member
    As long as I keep the almonds out of my office, I do a LOT less snacking, like Dree3 said. Meals are more planned and purposeful, instead of throwing together random cheap stuff I find at the store. I sometimes miss being able to boil a pot of water and make pasta and sauce in 15 minutes....but I'm glad that in return if I really need a quick meal I can grab a rotisserie chicken and eat it (in servings) without feeling guilty.
  • saintsfanatik
    saintsfanatik Posts: 68 Member
    Crazy-assed heart palpitations reduced 90%. High blood pressure-mostly gone! BP Meds---maybe 2 times a week as opposed to every day! Amount of sleep per night I need...cut by 2-3 hours worth! Oh yeah...Bacon!
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Exactly what all Dree said!! I couldnt have said it any better. I am not on Keto right now due to finances with the grocery budget but I SOOO Miss it!!! I havent ever felt better than I did during that time or had so much energy and clarity. I experienced the Keto flu also and I would do it again in a heartbeat just to reap the benefits of afterwards when your body adjusts to it:)
  • Nixenne
    Nixenne Posts: 37 Member
    Other than the things already mentioned (no cravings, no heartburn, more energy), one HUGE thing I've noticed is the lack of migraines. I had two days of "cheating" around my birthday, dropped out of ketosis and had two migraines in one week--something that's never happened before. While sticking to keto, though, I haven't had a single migraine.

I'm also slowly getting over my aversion to handling raw chicken. Very slowly. ;)
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Nixenne, get some rubber gloves! I use them to handle raw meat and cut chiles all the time.

I've "done keto" a couple of times and dropped an insane amount of weight in a short time and for various dumb excuses (pregnancy the first time, general stubbornness the second) I dropped off of it and fell back into the pit of compulsive eating.

But on keto .... no compulsions at all. No cravings. I feel full after just a little bit, and I feel like the ever-present cloud of fatigue and distraction is gone from my brain. There is energy and motivation. People say, "oh, what willpower" but when I am eating keto there's no power required. It just becomes natural and there is not a struggle.

I wonder why I ever stopped, really. But I'm back on now :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    I am not on Keto right now due to finances with the grocery budget

i don't understand this. i spend less buying meat and fresh veggies than i ever did eating 'boxed' stuff.
    i still buy carby stuff for kids: cereal, snacks, etc.. and it's amazing how fast crap food adds up compared to what i get for myself.

unless you are living on ramen (or 5 dollars a day or something) but you should re-evaluate the stores in your area! look into food stamps! check out a farmers market! there's no reason NOT to make your health a priority.

edit: nevermind, i just looked at your diary.
  • FreedomReigns
    FreedomReigns Posts: 195 Member
    I was always terrible about snacking and eating out of boredom. I could kill an entire bag or Doritos in one sitting. Half a pizza, easy, and then probably the other half later. On keto I'm just never hungry. I don't snack at all anymore, but the best part is I don't even want it. When I did low fat / low cal I was constantly hungry. So that's definitely my favorite part so far :)

I competely agree with all of this!!! I am satisfied without snacking a ton!
  • iksworbez
    iksworbez Posts: 21 Member
    I have WAY more energy now than I had before, I no longer spend retarded amounts of money on food (both fast food while out, and junk food at home.) my heartburn issues have vanished as has my gassy-ness. I am eating a lot better because I am cooking all my own food, and since I have all this energy I actually keep a pretty clean house and tidy kitchen since I now wash all my dishes after each use and dont let them collect until the evening...
  • datgnat
    datgnat Posts: 14 Member
    I haven't noticed a lot, other than my appetite being a lot less "insistent", except for one thing that really stands out: I'm the guy that does the driving when we go on long trips. No matter, I love to drive, and yet, I've noticed that I'm just not getting 'drive-drowsy', which is something I usually fought through in the past by bringing something to munch on (for some reason, I don't know, a bag of chips, or some M&Ms to pop down my gullet once in a while worked, pre-keto). I've done several multi-hour drives since starting keto, and I haven't experienced drowsiness, not even once (and one of those drives was from 2AM to 4AM)!
  • drzira
    drzira Posts: 29 Member
    Definitely more energy. I used to need to nap all the time and couldn't stay up late on the weekends. Now, I have more energy than my best friend who used to harass me for not having enough energy.

I also stopped snoring, which may be part of the "more energy" thing (sleeping more restfully).

I actually put effort into my food... and enjoy it. I used to just order pizza or Chinese or quickly boil some pasta or microwave some frozen crap for dinner. I never felt motivated to actually put any effort into cooking. Now, I'm really into cooking and trying new things. It doesn't even usually take THAT much time.
  • hawaii_girl
    hawaii_girl Posts: 4 Member
    I was skinny, but I had horrible blood sugar problems. I took a 3-5 nap every day with extreme tiredness in between! I would also be very angry upon waking, and I couldn't explain it. Ever since I started keto, my life has changed because of how much energy I have and how stable my mood is. It also cleared up my acne.