New to Group

Options
Hi everyone, I am new to the group and to this website. I am restarting my Low Carb lifestyle. I started a year ago and lost about 30 lbs in 4 months and then put some of it back on and now I am ready to move forward. One of the main reasons I chose this WOE is I have diabetes and I am able to control it by eating low carb. I also discovered that I am allergic to gluten so no going back to my old ways.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and I am looking for some friends and support if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am new to the group and to this website. I am restarting my Low Carb lifestyle. I started a year ago and lost about 30 lbs in 4 months and then put some of it back on and now I am ready to move forward. One of the main reasons I chose this WOE is I have diabetes and I am able to control it by eating low carb. I also discovered that I am allergic to gluten so no going back to my old ways.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and I am looking for some friends and support if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Welcome, it is interesting that before all the fancy drugs a low carb diet was the standard way of treating diabetes, now all the prevailing advice is to avoid low-carbing and chuck back 300g of the stuff each day.

I started MFP on the standard 'low fat' plan at the beginning of the year, around 4 months ago I switched to low carb and have not looked back ... The calories have remained consistant too so that blows 'a calorie is a calorie' out of the water.

Well, I have looked back, but only to shake my head at the time and effort I had been wasting :)

Enjoy your stay on MFP :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Welcome, it is interesting that before all the fancy drugs a low carb diet was the standard way of treating diabetes, now all the prevailing advice is to avoid low-carbing and chuck back 300g of the stuff each day.

Ill second that statement...

Welcome aboard, southernldy!!!
  • southernldy
    Options
    It's funny you should mention how people use to go on a low carb diet versus taking meds. I have no insurance and was forced to control my diabetes through diet and exercise. My "old" doctor (i fired him) actually got mad at me for choosing to control my diabetes through diet and exercise. Well I showed him. Last year my numbers were well into the 200 and 300 range. Within 3 weeks of doing Atkins they dropped into the 90's and low 100's. I will never go back to eating the way I use to. Those high carb foods are like poison to my body. I also truly think that the government standards are to help the pharmaceutical companies and many doctors and dietitians fall right into the trap of the so called "recommended dietary intake".

I can say that for me I do have to watch my calorie intake also. I have read that some do not but I am not one of them. When I gained some of my weight back it wasn't because I was eating carbs it was because I was stuffing my face with cheese and pepperoni and doubling up on my portions. I also ate a ton of low carb ice cream and Atkins bars which was probably the biggest culprit to me gaining weight. I also found that the so called "low carb" sweets raise my blood glucose somewhat so now I am careful with these.

Thanks for responding to my post!
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Add me - my diary is open :)
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    One could drone on about government subsidies and involvement with huge companies like monsanto and drug companies. That's the circle of profit and so on.
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Add me - my diary is open too. Have been doing low-carb for 130 days (today!) and have lost almost 60 lbs. (Of course I have alot to go still, but hey - I"m almost at the 1/3 mark). I eat pretty well (IMO) and only occasionally feel hungry. And when I feel hungry? I eat. (Low carb). I usually eat 1400-1600 calories a day - 20-25 ish net carbs; and am not really missing anything. A1C dropped in first 3 months from 5.9 to 5.3 - curious to see where it will be in September at the 6 month mark :)
  • southernldy
    Options
    Thank youmstorvik and susannahcooks! I added you both as a friend.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    It's funny you should mention how people use to go on a low carb diet versus taking meds.

I could never understand that. You have a problem with the insulin process (either not enough or resistant). You need insulin to process carbs. The logical approach would be to limit carb intake to at least no higher than the level that your body can process. The medical communities answer was to increase your carbs and give you meds to either increae your insulin directly, increase your body's ability to mak einsulin, or increase it's effectivness. This only makes sense if you are a drug manufacturer.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    My husband is diabetic and was told to follow the Atkins diet if he wanted to stay off meds. He cut his carbs back a bit but nowhere near a level to get him off meds. Good for you for grabbing the bull by the horns (ooo and ya can eat him too)!

I'm new to Atkins but feel free to friend me. I'm more supportive than informative :)
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    "I started MFP on the standard 'low fat' plan at the beginning of the year, around 4 months ago I switched to low carb and have not looked back ... The calories have remained consistant too so that blows 'a calorie is a calorie' out of the water. "

^^^^^ what he said!!

Welcome ! And feel free to add me too !
  • Bealach_Bug
    Options
    Hi there

Low carb (and low processed) makes perfect sense to me, its the first time in my life I've not felt bloated or lethargic. Think I need to stay away from the main forums....wow, there's no holding back there sometimes!
  • crhalte
    crhalte Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to this woe too. I've been at it since Saturday and I feel pretty good. I'm down 5 lbs.
    Please add me - I need all the friends/support I can get!