Interesting Article on Losing Weight with Hypo

Options
tecallahan
tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
http://drchristianson.com/?p=85

This sort of makes sense -- we've all been trained to eat 5-6 small meals a day, and I think most of us do that. But this talks about getting all your eating done in an 8 hour period and then fasting for 16 hours -- from 6pm to 10am not eating.

I'm thinking of how I eat and it would be easy to eat breakfast later, say 10am - and I usually stop eating at night around 7pm. So, I might give this is a try.

Replies

• embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This is interesting because last week when I finally lost weight, I pretty much skipped breakfast all week. All I had was a piece of fruit... So if I don't count that, I went from about 9 at night to about 12 the next day = 15 hours. My problem was that I take all my supplements/vitamins/minerals at lunch and this was making me nauseous because I had nothing in my stomache until that point... So perhaps I will have to try to stop eating after dinner and have a late breakfast. Heck, if I'm not having a night snack, my late breakfast can be huge! :-)

Let me know how this goes if you try it!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner usually at 5pm, but eat breakfast at 6:15am....maybe I should try eating when I get to work
  • princessbgirl
    Options
    I can appreciate what he is saying and do seem to lose-maintain better when I stop eating around 5 pm. However, I have skipped breakfast on occasion and it severely impact my ability to focus and I ended up overeating at lunch and in the afternoon!
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am not an early morning eater. I just have coffee with almond milk around 530am then fruit for breakfast around 930 - 100am. I usually eat dinner at around 600pm and I do tend to have a snack around 730 or 8pm. Trying to have fruit for my evening snack. I do find it I eat an early breakfast that I am more sluggish throughout the day. I also try to have a bigger lunch than dinner some days that works some days it doesn't.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    What is the newest fad. Shall we all try this one? How about eating while standing on one foot and rubbing your tummy? Couldn't hurt.
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    What is the newest fad. Shall we all try this one? How about eating while standing on one foot and rubbing your tummy? Couldn't hurt.

When it comes to thyroid problems, I will try most things for atleast a week in hopes of helping... Left foot or right? :-)
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think everybody is different even if they have hypothyroidism. I never skip breakfast and eat small meals throughout the day and sometimes snack like at 10pm like now. Had a few strawberries and watermelon. Still loosing, slowly, but surely.
  • cdpoole098
    cdpoole098 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've only had hypothyroidism for a week and I'm still googling ways to be healthier and lose weight! I'm very confused..please help
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    yes study after study seems to have shown that people who skip breakfast tend to weight more. I hate eating breakfast but I find when I don't I am tired all day so I have a light breakfast (eggs & toast or a smoothie) I think the not eating in the evening is huge though, of course that is when I like to eat ;) So I am working on that and if I do eat later eating easily digestable food (ie cottage cheese)

The longer fast is interesting but I wonder as everywhere I hear too that longer periods without food slow your metabolism, which is ok if you are sleeping of course so maybe that is more the key, not eating after dinner....oh I cringe at the thought but have heard it many times...;)

Lifting weights I think is HUGE too for speeding up your metabolism. Lifting heavier, lower reps seems to be the most efficient. I have been lifting since Jan and although my weight loss has been SUPER slow (I may have been eating too many calories) my muscle tone is amazing which makes me look much thinner and feel so much better, especially when the scale does not budge.
  • moesaid2
    moesaid2 Posts: 67
    Options
    This sounds very interesting!

The scale had not budged until I started fasting...I eat dinner and maybe a piece of fruit during the day or some nuts. Of course I will go back to eating regularly on next week, but I'm going to try this.

I never like to eat breakfast early and I usually eat dinner late (because of work and other stuff), but I'm gonna make an effort to do this. THANKS for posting!
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    I've only had hypothyroidism for a week and I'm still googling ways to be healthier and lose weight! I'm very confused..please help
    search on this group for the supplements & tips post as I tried to compile a list of the advice I got from here and around the web for supplements and lifestyle changes that have helped others and myself
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link to this doctor's page. He's written/posted some interesting stuff.
  • cdparmer
    cdparmer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's interesting - I have been reading other books etc and they suggest three meals and one snack and no eating after dinner. Breakfast needs to be substancial to get the system going after the 10 to 14 hour fast. I am going to try it also.
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I HAVE HEARD ABOUT THE NOT EATING AFTER 8 BUT SINCE I KIND OF TURN IN AROUND THAT TIME, IT WOULD PROBABLY BE AROUND 6. I GET UP AT 345 AM AND I USUALLY EAT AROUND 6-730 AM I COULD EAT DINNER AROUND 5-530 MAYBE (BIG MAYBE; WILLL TRY NOT TO). I WILL BE LIFTING TOO WHEN I GO TO THE CLASSES.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've been tending to eat like this anyway as I was trying fat burners before an early morning workout to boost metabolism and if I took them after food it made me sick.

so was eating breakfast after 9am when got back from dog's walk (well actually just a slim fast shake), sometimes another shake for lunch or sometimes just carrot sticks or apple slices for lunch then about 3pm doing main meal (salad or vegetables with lean white meat, fish or Quorn) , and not eating again until following morning 9-10am.

I seem to have stalled and my monthlies have gone really erratic not sure if its the diet/exercise or fat burners or just my age. (I'm 43)

'Ive got some T3 pills to try next they are meant to boost thyroid T3 production, as although I'm taking my T4 I don't think its converting to T3 very well, but GP's wont prescribe T3 or armour on the NHS here, so I'm forced to experiment 'unofficially' to see if it will make a difference.

I did have some T3 tablets to supplement my T4 but can't find same seller again on eBay, its popular on bodybuilding forums as part of a stack so must be somewhere in UK can buy it without prescription?
  • heygina
    heygina Posts: 78
    Options
    I have always skipped breakfast as an adult and it seems to have absolutely no impact if I do or do not lose weight. In fact, I end up eating MORE calories because I get hungrier faster after eating breakfast. I suppose it could be metabolism revving up asking me to take in more calories but I don't want to bust my daily cal allotment because I ate a tim horton's egg white breakfast sandwich!

therefore I put off eating as long as I can, which results in a "fast" of about 12-14 hours each day. For what it's worth, I've been at a 4 month weight loss plateau.