Do you log this on your diary?

Options
Missy1723
Missy1723 Posts: 48 Member
Do you log things that you do on a daily basis as exercise? For instance, I am on my feet back and forth through a large kitchen 8 hours a day 5 days a week. My girlfriend says I should log that in my diary as exercise. But if I do that, I'd have to eat another 1000 calories a day to meet my 1200 a day goal. That doesn't seem right. I feel like that activity is just my normal daily activity and not "exercise." my girlfriend logs when she walks from her car into school (it's a longer walk, but really)?
Do you log that stuff??

Replies

• jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It depends. I don't log things like housecleaning normally. But if I worked on it for more than 6 hours going up and down three levels and sweated I'll probably log it as 3 hours. If I take the kids to the waterpark which is crazy stair climbing and walking for at least 8 hours, I'll log it 3 hours walking only because it's a sporadic workout. I tend to be conservative. I hope this helps.
  • Dewdrop75
    Dewdrop75 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would not log the normal things I do on a daily basis, that is what the activity level is for on MFP. If you regularly are walking a lot during the day, like what it sounds like you are, then I would set your activity level to Active and that will take that walking that you normally do into consideration. I would not also count that as activity.
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dewdrop75. You should take that into account when you set your activity level. I have mine set on active because of my job and the only exercise I log is my workouts and runs.
  • Missy1723
    Missy1723 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This all makes sense. I didn't think I should be logging that. Thanks!!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dewdrop75. You should take that into account when you set your activity level. I have mine set on active because of my job and the only exercise I log is my workouts and runs.

I agree that it depends on what activity level you set when you signed up. Given your reference to 1200 calories though, I suspect you used sedentary when you set it up. I would change that to at least lightly active, if not active, given the activity you mentioned via work.