I knew it was coming, but I'm still bummed...upped calories

Options
Last Wednesday I upped my calories and even though I knew my weight would go up at first (it has the last two times I upped my cals) there was still a part of me somewhere that thought, "naahhh, my body will understand what I'm doing!" NOT!!! LOLOL

Ok, so I'm taking a slightly different approach. I had eaten an average of 700-900 cals a day for the last 10 years or so and I've been creeping my cals up since I learned about EM2WL. I've been bumping them up by 50-100 and then staying there until my weight comes back down, then creeping my cals up again, etc...

I did that b/c I have such a hard time figuring out what my numbers should be and the only thing I was sure of was my BMR. So, early on my goal was to get to my BMR every day, and then it was to go above it, and now I'm above it by over 100 cals a day with this last bump.

This morning when the scale was up again, I just had a tough moment. I think this is the last time I'm going to bump them until after our vacation in the fall (September). Then if I really feel like it is still necessary, I'll do an all out reset.

Until then, I'm just praying for the switch to flip and the weight to come back off. It has before, that I know. and it will again... right?! No, I know it will... really?! It will, though... for real. Uggh!!!

Thx for *listening*

Catherine

Replies

• LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hey Catherine,

It's a stressful thing at first, the whole mentality of upping cals. However I can see 2 things - the 1st, that you are reliant on the scale for your progress, and the 2nd, that you have eaten an extremely low calorie diet for a very very VERY long time. Your metabolism will have adjusted to this amount of food.

Based on what I now know, I think for you it's very important you do a full reset for at least 8 weeks. This is going to be scary and the scale is going to go up. However in the long term, it's the best possible thing you can do for yourself and your metabolism. This means eating at TDEE every day so your body gets used to that amount of food and no longer feels like its starving and needs to hold onto fat. Get support here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/612353-metabolism-reset-eating-at-tdee-support-thread

Read about upping cals here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

You also need to read this about why you shouldn't rely on the scale: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/630360-the-dreaded-scale-read.

I was so scared at first, but I have honestly learnt now to get off the scale and go with measurements instead. Since upping my cals a few months back from 1200 (some days much less), now eating between 1800-2100, the scale hasn't moved. But my measurements definitely, definitely have.

The best part of all this - is the amazing support this group gives you. Kiki & Lucia also have a website here which I definitely think is worth you visiting: http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/. And everyone here is doing this together. Everyone goes through the stress of the scale, the mental challenge of eating more than you probably have in years, and just getting used to it all.

I honestly don't know what I would do if I hadn't come across this group. Still be eating 1200 cals probably, and utterly utterly miserable.

If you need any more help with your numbers, just ask. I have learnt there will always be someone around to help :)

Good luck!!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Couldnt have said it better than Perkylu did:)

I highly recommend the reset. By just upping them slowly, you still arent doing your body much good. Its still crying for more food..Especially since you came from a VLCD previous, you will find it will take a while for your body to trust you again. By jumping right up to your TDEE, your body will adjust much faster than going slowly up.

Hope this helps. We are all here for you.
  • MyHighestPraise
    MyHighestPraise Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hey Catherine,

you are reliant on the scale for your progress, and the 2nd, that you have eaten an extremely low calorie diet for a very very VERY long time. Your metabolism will have adjusted to this amount of food.

This means eating at TDEE every day so your body gets used to that amount of food and no longer feels like its starving and needs to hold onto fat.

If you need any more help with your numbers, just ask. I have learnt there will always be someone around to help :)

Good luck!!

You make some good points and observations :) I am a scale-obsessor, but I handle the minor ups and down on it just fine. It's the steep climbs that get me! LOL I actually find a peace in seeing the trends but plotting my weight as I notate when I have upped my cals and how long it usually is before I peak and the scale comes back down. :) I'm an Excel-geek, what can I say...lol

You are also right about how the adjustment period for my body will be long because of how long I underate. You know, it's sad b/c I always ate when I was hungry and never felt deprived. I was just never a big eater. In the long run, it has hurt my body far deeper and will require so much time to overcome.

EM2WL definitely changed my life! I was shocked at how hard it was to get to 1200 cals a day and then over the last couple of months as I have crept up to the 1401 I've been doing for last 5 days it's been mind boggling to get those cals in without turning to the unhealthy foods as a "quick fix" Now, I've enjoyed some seriously high calorie things in the last few weeks, but my typical day is filled with fresh veggies and fruits, homemade foods, etc... the "worse" days for food choices always are days I'm running errands and I'm away from my kitchen.

The last thing you mentioned (and I've poured over all the stickies in this group - soooo grateful for all the great videos, advice, etc...) is something I have yet to really get a handle on.

I've run my numbers on Fat2Fit and Scooby. Getting to my BMR is easy - I know, that's easy for anyone - figuring out what is my activity level is my difficulty. That's why I just started recording everything that was significant that I needed to eat back and stay above my BMR. I wanted to show my body that I wasn't going to drop below it anymore.

I have no idea what level of activity I am. I rarely get to go to the gym, so I can't go by the number of work outs per week. I am rarely still, always doing something, housework, cooking, cleaning, baseball practice with my son, soccer with my other one, however, most of those don't really get my heart rate up and pumping like a work out.

anyway, I'm just making my way the best I can by eating back everything I *feel* exerted me more than just "around the house" stuff and trying to ease my cals up to the maintenance level to maintain my weight, whenever I get there.

I have this family vacation coming up in September, and I do think that I'll be doing my met. reset this fall/winter, but after this vacation for sure. I'll be thrilled to drop the few pounds I've gained this week (and I know the scale shows them, but so do my shorts...lol) and just make it through the Florida trip in a decent swim suit! LOL

The pounds I gain after Fl won't bother me nearly so much b/c I know in the long run it'll be totally worth it to eat right, maintain the right weight and not be on this roller coaster any longer!

Thanks so much for taking time to reply :) I appreciate it!
    Catherine
  • MyHighestPraise
    Options

I highly recommend the reset. By just upping them slowly, you still arent doing your body much good. Its still crying for more food..Especially since you came from a VLCD previous, you will find it will take a while for your body to trust you again. By jumping right up to your TDEE, your body will adjust much faster than going slowly up.

That is a good point. I actually was thinking I was building trust, but the way you say it I hear more like I'm just prolonging the mistrust... Hmmm, I wonder what my max gain would be if I went even farther up with my cals.

If it weren't for this trip in September I wouldn't be worried about it. I'm just going to be in a swimsuit most of that week and really don't want to be supersized...lol

Catherine
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Hi Catherine,

I have a question....and please, please don't take this in the wrong way as I am asking only out of sincere interest: Did you gain weight over the past 10 years while mainly just taking in 700-900 cals a day? Or were there binges at times -- or just times during each week where you went over that amount? IF you have indeed gained on such a low amount, then that clears up my mind in regards to the benefits of resetting our metabolisms! I'm considering doing this....but we have a Hawaii vacation in early December! I will get it figured out...

Anyhow, best of luck to you! :-)
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Since you are so unsure of your TDEE. If you can afford one get a fitbit. it will be perfect to telling you your TDEE since most of your activity comes from housework etc.
    Hey Catherine,

you are reliant on the scale for your progress, and the 2nd, that you have eaten an extremely low calorie diet for a very very VERY long time. Your metabolism will have adjusted to this amount of food.

This means eating at TDEE every day so your body gets used to that amount of food and no longer feels like its starving and needs to hold onto fat.

Good luck!!

You make some good points and observations :) I am a scale-obsessor, but I handle the minor ups and down on it just fine. It's the steep climbs that get me! LOL I actually find a peace in seeing the trends but plotting my weight as I notate when I have upped my cals and how long it usually is before I peak and the scale comes back down. :) I'm an Excel-geek, what can I say...lol

You are also right about how the adjustment period for my body will be long because of how long I underate. You know, it's sad b/c I always ate when I was hungry and never felt deprived. I was just never a big eater. In the long run, it has hurt my body far deeper and will require so much time to overcome.

EM2WL definitely changed my life! I was shocked at how hard it was to get to 1200 cals a day and then over the last couple of months as I have crept up to the 1401 I've been doing for last 5 days it's been mind boggling to get those cals in without turning to the unhealthy foods as a "quick fix" Now, I've enjoyed some seriously high calorie things in the last few weeks, but my typical day is filled with fresh veggies and fruits, homemade foods, etc... the "worse" days for food choices always are days I'm running errands and I'm away from my kitchen.

The last thing you mentioned (and I've poured over all the stickies in this group - soooo grateful for all the great videos, advice, etc...) is something I have yet to really get a handle on.

I've run my numbers on Fat2Fit and Scooby. Getting to my BMR is easy - I know, that's easy for anyone - figuring out what is my activity level is my difficulty. That's why I just started recording everything that was significant that I needed to eat back and stay above my BMR. I wanted to show my body that I wasn't going to drop below it anymore.

I have no idea what level of activity I am. I rarely get to go to the gym, so I can't go by the number of work outs per week. I am rarely still, always doing something, housework, cooking, cleaning, baseball practice with my son, soccer with my other one, however, most of those don't really get my heart rate up and pumping like a work out.

anyway, I'm just making my way the best I can by eating back everything I *feel* exerted me more than just "around the house" stuff and trying to ease my cals up to the maintenance level to maintain my weight, whenever I get there.

I have this family vacation coming up in September, and I do think that I'll be doing my met. reset this fall/winter, but after this vacation for sure. I'll be thrilled to drop the few pounds I've gained this week (and I know the scale shows them, but so do my shorts...lol) and just make it through the Florida trip in a decent swim suit! LOL

The pounds I gain after Fl won't bother me nearly so much b/c I know in the long run it'll be totally worth it to eat right, maintain the right weight and not be on this roller coaster any longer!

Thanks so much for taking time to reply :) I appreciate it!
    Catherine
  • tlaingworth
    Options
    Bump.....I'm just learning and appreciate you sharing your experience.
  • MyHighestPraise
    Options
    Hi Catherine,
    I have a question....and please, please don't take this in the wrong way as I am asking only out of sincere interest: Did you gain weight over the past 10 years while mainly just taking in 700-900 cals a day? Or were there binges at times -- or just times during each week where you went over that amount? IF you have indeed gained on such a low amount, then that clears up my mind in regards to the benefits of resetting our metabolisms! I'm considering doing this....but we have a Hawaii vacation in early December! I will get it figured out...
    Anyhow, best of luck to you! :-)

No offense taken ☺ There are many other factors that play into my weight gain over those 10 years, but this is the only factor remaining. I’m also hypothyroid, I was also pregnant 4 times (although those were my best weight times! LOL) and my weight has always been a roller coaster, not a steady incline. I’ve been on Armour getting my thyroid support for over three years (after spending 2 years on Syntheroid with ZERO improvement) I’m no longer getting pregnant every year and half to two years, which has it’s own set of joy! LOL

Let me point out that I didn’t track calories then, I just food journaled. I used portion estimating that was in line with the visual guidelines of fist sized amounts. I’ve always been very healthy eater when possible to choose that. Very minimal, if any, packaged/processed foods, local farms (although not all of them are organic), etc… Our worst food intake was when we eat in restaurants.

I’m not a binger in the sense that I would crave large quantities after periods of low cals. I ate every day without thinking “low cal” or “resist” or “things I can have later” I just ate what I wanted when I wanted and stopped eating when I was full – I also eat very slow, I have been the slowest eater at the table my entire life. However, if we sat down to watch a movie and I wanted chips, I ate as many as I wanted. I didn’t think about how many was I eating (chips are my weakness, or fries, but not sweets much here). I could eat nearly an entire bag of chips myself! The only reason it wasn’t the whole bag was because my sons and husband would get some! LOL

When I go back and calculate what I was logging for my food intake I was shocked to see how low the cals were on the whole – minus the occasional family night movie. Those weren’t every weekend, but about once a month we all wanted to watch a movie if we didn’t have any obligation that Friday.

I started doing that b/c I was gaining weight even though I knew I didn’t eat much. It was mind boggling. I would take my food journal to my doc and he would agree that I wasn’t eating enough at all to merit my weight gain (this was after my last pregnancy and I had lost all of my last pregnancy weight by the time we were at this point).

The food journal helped lead us to the hypothyroid problem. That combined with the other symptoms we talked about led to the blood test. Then he pulled my blood test results from my OB for prepregancy blood work up and saw that I had been hypothyroid for years (the reasons I had pre-preg blood work have nothing to do with weight - I was a surrogate and so we had every test imaginable done pre-preg! LOL)

Now, let me move to post –pregnancies and just examine the last five years.

Yes, I have had weight gain on such low cals per day.

At one point I gained over 30 pounds between October and February. When I went to my doc I was just in tears. I showed him my food log (I’m actually quite consistent at my overall week) I could not fathom why I was gaining such a large amount weight.
    I was also spending at least one hour and often two hours in the gym when I joined in a 45 minute class of something (aerobics, spinning, whatever was available at that time). I was working out seriously, not eating much, and STILL GAINING!

Now that I have learned about BMR and my net cals, etc… I see that during those times I was seriously low on my net cals.
    For anyone who ever questioned starvation mode, I’ve said repeatedly since I’ve learned what happened to me, it is absolutely 1000% true! Everything I was eating was being stored and I was gaining weight even on low cals, healthy food, regular “right” exercise (we had a trainer at our Y who would work out with you for free for your first 6 times to help you get on the right plan for your needs and make sure you were doing the exercises correctly).

I know you didn’t ask for my novel here, I’m sooo sorry. I just started typing and here I am at the end of a short story! LOL
    Hopefully there is something in there that will have benefitted you in some way…

Btw, my weight was back down this morning by nearly 2 pounds. I know it fluctuates day to day, but I don’t get bothered by the daily ups and downs, it’s trends I’m looking at. Sort of like the stock market… lol

I know my method of creeping up my cals isn’t normal, but it is working for me to get me on the right road of higher cals without big weight gain between now and the trip we have in September.

I am absolutely going to do a reset when I’m back from our Sept vacation. I know my body needs it. I’m grateful my body is responding well to my creeping up method. Im getting sooo many of the “side” benefits (my fatigue is lifting, my hair loss is slowing…)

I will get to my goal, but I don’t think it is going to be the way everyone else gets there. ☺

Catherine:)
  • MyHighestPraise
    Options
    Since you are so unsure of your TDEE. If you can afford one get a fitbit. it will be perfect to telling you your TDEE since most of your activity comes from housework etc.

I will look into that! I’ve seen people on here mention that, but I really don’t even know what it is. If it will help me know what I’m burning just as I am moving around through the day that would help me TREMENDOUSLY!! Thx ☺
    Bump.....I'm just learning and appreciate you sharing your experience.

I’m certain I’m not a good one to learn from because I’m not the “norm”. What is working for me others would tell you that it could be so much better if I didn’t do it this way. I’m okay with what I’m doing and my reasons for my choices.

Keep reading, you’ll do great if you take the advice of all these awesome people!!
    Catherine ☺
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Catherine~ All I'm going to do is send you some love, doll....... I am in Week 5 and have gained a LOT. I have done EXACTLY what you were doing with the VLCD and 700 cals per day, etc but for MUCH longer!!

We have not done a good thing for our bodies and now we have the opportunity to heal our severely damaged metabolisms by using this process.

I'm going to stick it out and I hope you get to this point (Reset) soon. I've got a big vacation coming up in September with "the Girls" and I don't want to be the one to hold everyone back because I am so big and bulky~ BUT these are my closest friends and it won't matter one bit to them how I look or move~ just that I'm there with them.

I am hoping, praying and continuing to believe that the end result will be SO worth the journey!!

Oh, and here's the love I promised.....
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • MyHighestPraise
    Options
    Catherine~ All I'm going to do is send you some love, doll....... I am in Week 5 and have gained a LOT. I have done EXACTLY what you were doing with the VLCD and 700 cals per day, etc but for MUCH longer!!

We have not done a good thing for our bodies and now we have the opportunity to heal our severely damaged metabolisms by using this process.

I'm going to stick it out and I hope you get to this point (Reset) soon. I've got a big vacation coming up in September with "the Girls" and I don't want to be the one to hold everyone back because I am so big and bulky~ BUT these are my closest friends and it won't matter one bit to them how I look or move~ just that I'm there with them.

I am hoping, praying and continuing to believe that the end result will be SO worth the journey!!

Oh, and here's the love I promised.....
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Thank you so much!!! :) Catherine
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Best of luck and wishes to you.... you are actually an inspiration to me....to finally really stop being afraid to eat/gain and to be kind to my body. :heart:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Take your time to get there. It is mentally not. Easy to jump to TDEE coming from such a low calorie diet.
    I am glad you found your way to this group and I we will help you along the way whenever you need anything.
    If you feel ready to do your reset after yourt trip that is awesome. A FitBit will certainly help to determine your daily burn.
    You will see it is such a liberating feeling, if you finally can turn your back to low cals.
    Wishing you all the best
  • MyHighestPraise
    Options
    Take your time to get there. It is mentally not. Easy to jump to TDEE coming from such a low calorie diet.
    I am glad you found your way to this group and I we will help you along the way whenever you need anything.
    If you feel ready to do your reset after yourt trip that is awesome. A FitBit will certainly help to determine your daily burn.
    You will see it is such a liberating feeling, if you finally can turn your back to low cals.
    Wishing you all the best

Thanks so much :)

I'm glad I found this group, as well!! I am still amazed from time to time at what garbage people choose to put into their bodies. I know I didn't have my amounts right, but I've always wanted to be healthy. I truly wasn't trying to be a very low cal eater, I just didn't listen to my body accurately. You mentioned about being able to finally turn my back on low cals. That's interesting because I do find myself working at making sure I eat more to get to my goals, not as much having a hard time staying under my goals! LOL I do not think I would be able to do it without something soooo easy and helpful as MFP on my phone!!!

Even when I have a hard time estimating, like this week. We are eating dinner at our church every day this week during VBS and I'm using the scanner to zap the ingredients and "build" my dinner even while I'm away! Then, because it is very different from my norm, I saw how far over I went today and I'm truly wanting to be consistent as I creep my cals up, so I had time to add in some laps around the church with a friend and keep my net cals on target! I want to send my body the right message :)

I was just reading about the fitbit before coming back to the boards. I do think it will be a great help. I'm concerned it won't help me accurately measure my cals burned for some activities that I track regularly. I play the piano and use the numbers I get from http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc to use on MFP.

Since my goal is make sure I stay above my BMR and I'm working on upping my cals, I want to be sure that I'm not underestimating calories burned on the activities I do the most. House work and cooking/food prep time are two other areas that aren't big physical movers, but exert enough over long enough time that I want to account for them as accurately as possible. How on earth is the fitbit going to determine calories burned for those?

I might be one who needs two different things for these different activities. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks again, everyone!!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The FitBit measures your movements and steps, and while you are cooking, cleaning etc, it will record that.
    You would be surprised, how much you are burning.
    On non workout days, just by taking care of the house and garden and running after the girls, I am burning up to 2400 kcal, on workout days, even more. I had no idea, I moved that much.
    For the exercises I am using my HRM, which gives more accurate readings when the exercising.
    As for playing the piano-I really don't know how you could track it. Probably with a BodyMedia device.
    They are more expensive though and need a monthly subscription.
    Many on here do have them as well.
  • MyHighestPraise
    Options
    The FitBit measures your movements and steps, and while you are cooking, cleaning etc, it will record that.
    You would be surprised, how much you are burning.
    On non workout days, just by taking care of the house and garden and running after the girls, I am burning up to 2400 kcal, on workout days, even more. I had no idea, I moved that much.
    For the exercises I am using my HRM, which gives more accurate readings when the exercising.
    As for playing the piano-I really don't know how you could track it. Probably with a BodyMedia device.
    They are more expensive though and need a monthly subscription.
    Many on here do have them as well.

An HRM is what I was planning to get to see what exactly I'm burning at the piano. The calculators are probably pretty accurate b/c they are consistent between different ones. Maybe I'll borrow an HRM from a friend to get a picture of my non-typical actiities, but buy a fitbit to see about my TDEE.

Thx again for your input :)
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

That is a good point. I actually was thinking I was building trust, but the way you say it I hear more like I'm just prolonging the mistrust... Hmmm, I wonder what my max gain would be if I went even farther up with my cals.

If it weren't for this trip in September I wouldn't be worried about it. I'm just going to be in a swimsuit most of that week and really don't want to be supersized...lol

Catherine

Unfortunately there is no way to say for sure how much you may or may not gain.. SOme girls have gained very little, others have gained more than 10. It comes down to your own body and what it decides to do.. But know that even if there is a 10+ gain on the scale.. it cannot logically be a true gain.. it is water,and new muscle building. It will not be FAT gain.

Since you want to hold off until after your trip, your best bet right now is to eat at your 15% cut and just see what happens.. Likely your weight will bounce around a bit. Personally, I would still recommend the reset now, because it will get you to the end that much faster, but I do understand the vacation aspect.. you have to do what you think best right now.
  • MyHighestPraise
    Options
    I just wanted to throw out a cheer that I'm less than half a pound from my weight prior to the bump :) I knew it wouldn't stay long-term, but yes, it was a let down to see it. Since the high I posted about originally, it's been a steady decline back to where it should be.

I look at the trends, not the fluctuations. I'm going to stay put at my current cals until after our trip in Sept and then I'll be ready to do a full reset.

Thanks everyone for all your great support. I love this group :D

Catherine