How do you like your gym/dojo/etc?

Options
wellbert
wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
I'm pretty happy with mine. Great instructor that really keeps the class moving and motivates you in a positive way. Not really digging the fact that it's carpeted, though. The best part is the class schedule is flexible!

How do you like yours?

Replies

• MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Of course since I'm one of the school's owners, I'm completely biased.... BUT... I LOVE OUR SCHOOL. We have a school run by 2 moms (my best friend is a 4th Dan and the head instructor) focused on families and we love running it!
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    Love it! Great place for rolling , got a ring and loads of bags set up for the Muay Thai, got a whole section for CrossFit too. Can't whack it!
  • peacefulninja
    Options
    I love my dojo! I don't like my town but I can't imagine leaving, mostly because of my dojo. It's very clean, most people are friendly, and senior students help out junior students. Most people are there top learn, not beat people up. And once you sign up for karate the other disciplines are free.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Up until about four or five months ago, I absolutely loved my gym. Then the entire class structure changed, and it made me realize that the school had steadily reduced the options available to me over the past year or so... fewer open mat times, less back-to-back class options, less flexibility in which classes I could attend (rigid groupings based on experience), a narrow focus on preparing for ring competition instead of street self-defense situations, removal of the weights, removal of the mirrors for form work, removal of the open workout area, etc...

I cancelled my membership yesterday. I could no longer justify the costs based on what I was receiving. I'll continue to train there for the remaining weeks that I've paid for, and then I'm done.

I'm pretty disappointed - I'd been there more than five years and this was the first time I ever thought poorly of the place.

So I'm currently shopping for an alternative. There is a CrossFit box down the road that may work, and a BJJ school nearby as well.

Sucks. That place was a big part of me.

Kinda sucks.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I like both my gym's.

One is dance studio that my Capoeira teacher rents. The people are nice and the owners are very cool! Did some yoga there with one of the owners before I found JKD.

The second is a boxing gym. I particularly like this place as the Boxers train hard!!! Lots of cardio and strength training. I enjoy going in on Saturdays and working out with some of the competitive Boxers. It is real motivation for me to become stronger, more agile and to improve my cardio!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I really like my dojo. Before the only problem was that their schedule kinda sucked, but I found out recently that they have a second location near me where I can train on the other days they didn't have classes. The whole place has a very supportive vibe and more experienced members work with the less experience members to help with the techniques.

My regular gym is amazing too. It's absolutely massive (25,000 sq feet or something ridiculous like that) and they have 10 classes a day in different stuff, with a handful of fighting/martial arts classes. It's a great place for me to supplement my training.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I love the school. It is simple, functional, open, inviting,and we have great mats.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love working out at my Dojo. I just wish it was closer to home. I am lucky that Shihan gave me a key to the dojo so I can work out after hours. It allows me to do more weapons training, which makes my wife happy as I am no longer damaging the walls and floor when I practice with the weapons. The only thing I would want is thicker mats. The jigsaw mats are not that good for rolls and break falls.
    I do not have a regular gym membership so I do all strength and cardio at home.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Love,love,love my school....everything about it.:smile:
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    When I go to "class", we train outdoors. I really like outdoor training. I think that working in the heat, cold, rain, and dark, and moving over uneven ground and a loose surface (sand/gravel) adds a new level of intensity.

I also have a dojo in my back yard. We have a nice sized shed, and I finally got around to cleaning it out and hanging up my bag and makiwara. I also have floor pads for practicing throws and takedowns. Very convenient--I can see through the door and windows into our fenced in yard where the kids play.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    When I go to "class", we train outdoors. I really like outdoor training. I think that working in the heat, cold, rain, and dark, and moving over uneven ground and a loose surface (sand/gravel) adds a new level of intensity.

I also have a dojo in my back yard. We have a nice sized shed, and I finally got around to cleaning it out and hanging up my bag and makiwara. I also have floor pads for practicing throws and takedowns. Very convenient--I can see through the door and windows into our fenced in yard where the kids play.

We use to do our yearly tests for our Grandmaster outdoors I loved it...was tricky though. Also very hot....layers of black in the hot July sun...still fun.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    My school and Master are the BEST. I wouldn't go anywhere else!
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I like mine alright, the people are great but it's in a really old building that gets water in it every time it rains too much. the carpet is probably rotten under the floor mats. Probably why it smells so funky.
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Love my dojang and instructors. The leads are a husband and wife team who have been practicing TKD since elementary school. They are truly an inspiration, and watching them practice is like watching a dance performance. They have assembled a team of assistant instructors who are wonderful, talented teachers. Never though one of them is only 14 years old, he is a phenomenal talent.

our school believes strongly in community service, and they require that all black belt candidates perform community service or run an action project involving the rest of the school. They also give back by waiving tuition for students who couldn't otherwise afford to attend. They are allowed to attend free of charge as long as they are consistent in coming to class and testings. The scholarship students are recommended by local churches and social service agencies, paying students under financial distress also receive consideration.

The only thing that I would change is that I would dearly love it if every one of our instructors were required to take a course or seminar on child development and psychology, and part of that should include a lesson about children with physical or developmental disabilities, learning differences, and mental illnesses. Being a parent, babysitter, church volunteer, or whatever, does not make one an automatically good teacher for all types of students.
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Love Love Love my gym,everyone is so friendly and our instructors really know how to motivate you to be the best you can be. We all work really hard and encouragment is always there from more experienced fighters. Nobody has a chip on there shoulder when it comes to training with newbies or juniors and a hard spar is always followed with a bit of banter and a chuckle.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    We train in a studio in a local gym. :) The facilities are pretty good, with access to mats, punching bags, those stands that you punch and kick, etc. Too bad using the gym isn't included in our martial arts membership, though rumor has it we are allowed to use the sauna.
  • gatigress
    gatigress Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love where I am. It is very family oriented. I actually started karate with my two little children. The class begins with everyone doing the stretches and workout and then they break down into smaller class sizes based on age and skill. Everyone is so friendly. They are very family oriented and encourage families to workout together. You see mothers, fathers and kids all coming to workout together. It is very encouraging. They had a family package deal for all three of us to have two one hour karate classes a week and unlimited gym use it was 150 a month. :) Oh btw the gym that you have access to is right next door to the dojo and within a 15 minuite drive from where we live.