Should I be worried?

Options
Hey guys...quick question...so I'm almost at the end of my pureed phase for RNY. However, recently, in the mornings my stomach seems to be irritable. Twice this week I've gotten sick on cottage cheese in the am, which has been a staple of mine during this phase. Lunch and dinner typically go off without a hitch--with the exception of about 3 dinners where I know I ate too fast.

So I was wondering--is it normal to randomly stop tolerating foods/having an angry pouch in the morning? I can keep down water and everything else during the day...the mornings have just been rough this week. I never eat past 8 at night and I don't get up until 7 a.m. so I know I can't still be full from the night before.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• giggler55
    giggler55 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm almost 5 months out and I can't eat anything solid right when I wake up. I always start my day off with a protein shake, then breakfast once I've been up an hour or two.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I can't eat for about an hour after I wake up and I do best when I prep my tummy with something liquid first. I don't tend to get sick on soft foods unless I have had something too cold to drink too close to eating. My problem is dinner, I seem to get sick kind of random but I'm working out ways to prevent it, for it I have to focus on tiny bites and not having anything cold to drink just like breakfast.
  • J_M1987
    J_M1987 Posts: 32
    Options
    Hm, I'm going to follow you guys and try to just start with liquid when I wake up...I typically eat breakfast about 30 minutes after waking up, so perhaps my pouch just needs a little time. Thanks for your input!
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread!

I am 5 months out and I get nauseous in the am... so I have replaced breakfast with a protein shake. It isn't fool-proof as they can make me nauseous too, but not as much as anything else. Sounds like its common.
  • Butlavie
    Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello

Ive had this problem as well. What I have learned helps me is do my fluids first so I have a cup of green tea with lemon. Ive been doing this now for 6 weeks and no more irritation or nausea. Also Im finding that Im starting to get lactose intolerant which is a bummer because I also love cottage cheese and yogurt.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was told that you may end up with some food intolerances post surgery. I've noticed that I don't tolerate large doeses of milk products (I'm seven months post surgery), and i first noticed it with the Whey Protein mix, I've since switched to Soy Protein Isolate, and found it much easier to tolerate. This is not to say I can't have a little milk in my tead, or a little cheese. So, I would suggest you leave the cottage cheese alone for now... I have found Greed yogurt to be good (and it's very high in protein, I sweeten it with a little sweetener) and i add a little low cal jam (2x the fruit style); and sometimes a couple of tablespoons of granola for my breakfast. All you can do is experiment for yourself to see what works and what doesn't... and check with your dietician, they have all kinds of great suggestions!
  • megawatt823
    Options
    Hi All! I am over 2 & 1/2 years out from Gastric Bypass and I STILL throw up. I have a totally grouchy pouch!! With eating, I usually wait an hour after I wake up.....our stomachs are so shriveled up from sleep, it needs a moment (!) to kick start.

I still cannot eat fresh broccoli, cauliflower...even steamed makes me sick!!

I still drink a protein shake every few days, but I eat every 3 hours, protein first then complex carbs and I have lost 145 pounds! AND I am still losing;)

Anyone who wants to add me as a friend, please do!! I am so glad I had this surgery, it gave me my life back!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!! AND DON'T FORGET to take your multi vitamins, vitamin D and Calcium Citrate and B12!!!!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I can never eat right away. I start out in the morning taking my vitamins and drinking at least 1 or 2 glasses of water before I try to put any protein in there. I get grouchy pouch sometimes too. I was excited the other day when I actually ate an egg and it didnt make me sick! Yayyy! I did try some steamed brocolli the other day and that was still a big no....pouch no like that one still!