Greek Yogurt

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
I've posted a topic about Greek Yogurt before.... when I was just trying it for the first time. Now I have found that I love the stuff! It's a great snack with berries or just by itself.

One problem is, I can't find any brands that are full fat. They are all 0 or 2%. What's up with that???

Replies

• bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Fage total classic is full fat and very good! Have you tried making your own? I used to make my own before I became so busy and used whole milk, then strained the yogurt for about half and hour and my goodness it was the most creamy, rich yogurt I've ever had and really cheap (but takes time and some effort. But here, I can get two gallons of local full-fat milk for around 5 dollars and that makes me two gallons of unstrained yogurt-a steal!) So yes, try to look for Fage total with 10 grams of yummy fat.
  • Spooky_Rach
    Spooky_Rach Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've posted a topic about Greek Yogurt before.... when I was just trying it for the first time. Now I have found that I love the stuff! It's a great snack with berries or just by itself.

One problem is, I can't find any brands that are full fat. They are all 0 or 2%. What's up with that???

I blame the big chain supermarkets for thinking we all want 0% or 2% fat greek yogurt :grumble:.

Full fat greek yogurt does exist - it just might take a bit of searching for. Fage make one http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-classic/. I think in the US Trader Joe's and possibly Wholefoods have their own brand one too.
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've got to drive at least 30 miles to find full fat, and even then it's iffy. I've asked at my local grocery to have it ordered, and was asked why I'd even want it!
    I'm seriously considering attempting to make it on my own.
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    any specific recipe for making your own?
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I won't want to eat them because most of them are made from GMO and chemical loaded cows.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I used to make my own yogurt all the time. I bought a yogurt maker off of craig's list that had 6 cute little glass cups. But, if you have a gas stove (which I don't), you don't need a yogurt maker.

You heat full fat milk in a double boiler on the stove to 180. Use a candy thermometer and pay attention. Don't scorch the milk.

When it hits 180, remove the pan and submerge in cold water. I filled my sink with a couple of inches of ice and cold water. Keep the thermometer in the milk, and watch the temp decrease.

Have a small bowl ready with your yogurt culture starter. You can use plain yogurt as a starter too, but I never could get the best results when doing that, so I just always used the yogurt starter. You can find this at the grocery store, refrigerated. At Whole Foods, they have it where they sell the Kefir.

When your milk cools to 110 degrees, pour a few ounces into your bowl with the yogurt started. Stir gently with clean spoon to dissolve the culture. Pour the milk/starter back into the pan with the rest of the milk and stir gently.

Pour milk into glass jar(s). Put into your yogurt machine, or put into your oven if you have a gas stove. The residual heat from the pilot light makes your oven the perfect temp for yogurt.

You can do all this while making breakfast, or cleaning up dinner. It really only takes about 15 min.

Let it sit for 6-8 hours. The longer it sits, the more sour it will get.

I never did this, but if you want greek yogurt, you have to strain it through cheese cloth for an hour to let the liquids drain out, and you'll be left with thick creamy yogurt.

I used to make a quart of yogurt every week. But, my little glass jars broke, my yogurt maker seemed to lose it's temp control, and I stopped. I should get going again!
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for the info...whole milk would call that the 3%