Favorite cookbooks?

Options
marathon64
marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
Wow it looks like a thriving group! I'm new here and moving toward a vegan diet in leaps and bounds and feeling great. Can you share your favorite cookbooks? I particularly love ethnic food and am not a huge fan of soy. Also I do endurance running so I'm not afraid of a few carbs but I do stay away from refined sugar and flour. THANKvYOU :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Vegan Cooking for One by Leah Leneman has many soy-free recipes.
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just bought 3 that I'm fond of already! Vegan with a Vengeance, Appetite for Reduction and How it all Vegan!
  • melsped
    melsped Posts: 2
    Options
    The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreu is amazing. Lots of color photos and lists calorie and nutrition info for each recipe.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I would say my 3 favs are Vegan Express by Nova Atlas, Vegan Yum Yum by Lauren Ulm, and Appetite For Reduction by Isa Chandra. I am what you would call a cookbook addict. I have so many but I always go back to these ones as they are my favs!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!!!! Can't wait to check them out :)
  • babycakesjen
    Options
    I needed this advice too ! Was needing good cookbooks
    Any of them low carb low fat ?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I needed this advice too ! Was needing good cookbooks
    Any of them low carb low fat ?

Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes by
    Isa Chandra Moskowitz

its low fat and most recipes are under 400 cals a serving
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This may be more than you asked for, but I am in love with the PPK forums, so here you go!

http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19615

It's a link to The Huge Index of Vegan Cookbook Threads
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Is anyone familiar with Nonna's Italian Kitchen: Delicious Home-Style Vegan Cuisine? My family reunion is in a few weeks and the little old ladies (and men) are coming into town. These guys are off the boat so they know their food. Last year I made ciabatta, various pizzas, lasagnas and fresh ricotta. Since there will be no more ricotta, and I can't eat most of what everyone else will, I wanted to make a bunch of stuff that will both be impress them and be vegan. The reviews of the cookbook make me think it's a good choice since the author seems to really understand the Italian way of how family and food are connected.

(Side note, I'm not suggesting that the Italians are the only ones who show people love through food - I just need something specific for our food)
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Check out Donna Klein's cookbooks for Italian. They aren't fancy, but are really good solid recipes with amazing flavors.

For people new to plant based cooking, I always make them something out of Happy Herbivore or Peas and Thankyou. Making comfort food taste good and healthy is awesome!
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check them out!
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    VEGANOMICON!!!

Also the two (soon to become three) Happy Herbivore cookbooks :-)
  • JcyFruit
    JcyFruit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson and Supermarket Vegan by Donna Klein.

I typically don't like to use meat subs because they're still processed. Vegan Planet uses some but there are over 400 recipes. I've maybe made a chapters worth. All delish! Especially the lasagna rolls! :)

Supermarket Vegan introduced me to my, hands down, favorite guacamole recipe. Chipotle Guac...I'd eat the entire bowl with just a spoon. All the recipes in this book are simple and the ingredients can all be found right at the grocery store, as the title implies.

Enjoy!
  • gdelrosa
    gdelrosa Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just got Everyday Happy Herbivore yesterday and made the Sweet Potato Dal for dinner today. It was yummy when paired with brown rice. I'm going to get a lot of use out of it. All the recipes are of course vegan but are also low fat and use no added oil. Example, the onions and garlic in the dal were sauteed with water instead of oil. I've never done that before.
  • LucybellMocha
    Options
    My husband recently bought me "1,000 Vegan Recipes" by Robin Robertson, and I really like it.