Low Carb Paleo and Crummy Sleep?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Read this: http://www.paleoforwomen.com/carbohydrates-for-fertility-and-health/

I've been paleo 1.5 years and began getting crabby and edgy and wondered what the heck was going on. Reading this blog about how women have different requirements and cravings for carbs than men made sense and adding starchy carbs to my diet made me a happy grokette again. Look for starchy carbs (veg) and not sugar carbs (fruit).

That's a very interesting read. I'm going to have to go get some bananas now. I didn't realize they were "glucose bombs". I'm going to follow this blog now because of my thyroid issues. I've been keeping my carbs really low, but I worry about my T4 to T3 conversion, especially since I found out that acne is a direct result of low T3. More carbs it is! Thanks again!

Try plaintains, which are starchier than bananas!

Gotcha! Thanks! Are they less sweet than bananas? The banana sweetness is too much for me sometimes (changed perception to sweetness thanks for Paleo).
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Read this: http://www.paleoforwomen.com/carbohydrates-for-fertility-and-health/

I've been paleo 1.5 years and began getting crabby and edgy and wondered what the heck was going on. Reading this blog about how women have different requirements and cravings for carbs than men made sense and adding starchy carbs to my diet made me a happy grokette again. Look for starchy carbs (veg) and not sugar carbs (fruit).

That's a very interesting read. I'm going to have to go get some bananas now. I didn't realize they were "glucose bombs". I'm going to follow this blog now because of my thyroid issues. I've been keeping my carbs really low, but I worry about my T4 to T3 conversion, especially since I found out that acne is a direct result of low T3. More carbs it is! Thanks again!

Try plaintains, which are starchier than bananas!

Gotcha! Thanks! Are they less sweet than bananas? The banana sweetness is too much for me sometimes (changed perception to sweetness thanks for Paleo).

If you get them green, they aren't sweet at all, a little tough to peel but they are actually really good to add to soups and stews. I lived in Ecuador for a few years and we ate them regularly. Another way is to thinly slice and deep fry, or cut in 1/4 to 1/2 inch rounds, fry in a little bit of oil for a couple minutes per side, just to soften, take them out of the pan, squash them with a fork, then drop in salted water and return to the pan until crispy on each side. I then dip in fresh homemade salsa or hot sauce.

If they are ripe they are very sweet, slice legthwise and sautee until brown on each side...so good.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this link. I have been mostly low carb for a few months, and while I feel generally good and don't have any of the problems the women in those posts/comments do, I just don't have the enthusiasm, motivation, or energy to do the circuit training and running I used to do. At first I thought this was just a side effect of the low carb flu, but it has lasted for a long time, and whenever I have sugar now, I feel tons of energy the next day, like I could run a marathon! So I think I am going to start adding in starches. I also feel fuller and find it easier to cut down on calories by eating slightly less meat and more starch, which is amazingly low in calories if you stick with winter squash. Before I found myself always going over my calories by just eating meat until I was full.I like winter squashes for starch. Acorn, butternut, pumpkin, etc.

Also, I hate green plaintains. They taste and feel like cardboard to me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Not sure if you are supposed to fry green or ripe plaintains, because I have not tried it yet.
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this link. I have been mostly low carb for a few months, and while I feel generally good and don't have any of the problems the women in those posts/comments do, I just don't have the enthusiasm, motivation, or energy to do the circuit training and running I used to do. At first I thought this was just a side effect of the low carb flu, but it has lasted for a long time, and whenever I have sugar now, I feel tons of energy the next day, like I could run a marathon! So I think I am going to start adding in starches. I also feel fuller and find it easier to cut down on calories by eating slightly less meat and more starch, which is amazingly low in calories if you stick with winter squash. Before I found myself always going over my calories by just eating meat until I was full.I like winter squashes for starch. Acorn, butternut, pumpkin, etc.

Also, I hate green plaintains. They taste and feel like cardboard to me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Not sure if you are supposed to fry green or ripe plaintains, because I have not tried it yet.

Hey, you definitly have to cook them otherwise you're absolutely right, the texture is just awful. One or two comments up I posted a blurb on how I eat plantains, give them another chance! :)
  • PaleoMichelle
    Options

Thank you for sharing this resource. Great food for thought!