Swimmers Weigh In...

Options
2»

Replies

• lililo90
    lililo90 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you Melinda! I´m going to use paddles more, by the way I´ve lost already 24lb swimming... 14 to go :)
  • riftknight
    riftknight Posts: 21
    Options
    I acutally am against paddles for the same reason that I'm against flippers. 1) they alter your stroke. 2) they create a dependancy on the item.
  • celtic_ink
    celtic_ink Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I swim almost every day after work. It has been a fantastic supplement to my other workouts.
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    We are away this week visiting family so no proper lap swimming for me this week. <whine> My sister does have a backyard pool at least.

I'm now researching where pools are when I travel. I'm not going to let myself make excuses because I know they will escalate one after the other. I think this will be easier once I've lost enough weight to take up jogging.
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I acutally am against paddles for the same reason that I'm against flippers. 1) they alter your stroke. 2) they create a dependancy on the item.

My problems with cramps went away when I gave up flippers.

I've now gotten into good enough cardio condition that I find my legs and arms are being worked hard enough during swimming that I'm sore even without fins or paddles.
  • melindaberg
    Options
    Paddles are meant to help improve your stroke. I only use the if I'm working on arms most of them time I swim without them. When people use them throughout their entire workout they do get too dependent on them.
  • riftknight
    riftknight Posts: 21
    Options
    Paddles are meant to help improve your stroke. I only use the if I'm working on arms most of them time I swim without them. When people use them throughout their entire workout they do get too dependent on them.

I agree Melinda, except that most people don't use them correctly. It is one thing to have someone who is experienced and even trained in how to use paddles and/or gloves, and flippers. It is entirely something else to have anyone slap on some paddles and flippers and go. Most people I see who are swimming have issues with their kick that flippers only exagerate. And when you are using paddles, if you don't know what you are doing, they cause you to flatten out your hand and turn it to get the most benefit out of the paddle, instead of the paddle providing the most benefit to your stroke.

I'm not meaning to sound preachy, I just think that paddles and flippers should be used by people who already have an idea of how to improve their strokes, or under the supervision of a trainer who is properly instructing the swimmer on their use. Being a former competitive swimmer, a waterpolo player, a WSI and an LGI, and a swimming instructor, I have seen more problems created by people trying to self-improve their strokes with these than without paddles or flippers
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The last poster has a point. Such additional tools Locke fins, paddles, buoys, etc. should used properly and not overused. I don't use anything these days sine the fins aggravate my knees and the paddles but more stress on shoulders (yes, I have had several ortho surgeries). Such tools are useful for their intended purposes but can be detrimental without proper supervision by a knowledgable coach.

Good coaching is the best means for stoke technique improvement. Period.
  • mdmcmillen
    mdmcmillen Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I swim 2+ miles almost every day and the only aid I use is a FINIS swimmers snorkel. I am not trying to impress anyone, i'm trying to get a good workout. I can push myself much harder with this because I don't have to turn my head to breath. I swam 3 miles in 1hr 20min on 7/22. I don't think i'd be able to manage that time without it. Check it out, it's done amazing things for my cardio http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1221.htm
  • Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am going to start swimming next week when I get back from the long weekend vacation. Very excited! Is there any swim equivalent of C25K? I would like to follow some sort of program. I used to be on a swim team and teach lessons, but haven't been in a pool in years.
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Rory,

How much (distance or time) can you swim _comfortably_ (not too tiring and nothing hurting) without stopping to rest? Whatever that is, do it. Then, two days later, or it again, but add 10% (more time or distance, whichever you decide to use). Keep adding 10% each day, three days a week, for four weeks. Then, let's assess where you are distance wise and what you think your goals are going to be in the future.

:o)

nerdieprofessor, who has actually SWAM a 5K before, and is so happy her hotel has a 25 meter pool! Hallelujah!
  • LisaRoXie
    LisaRoXie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to have found this group, and even this thread.

My life has changed significantly in the past month, so I jumped on the opportunity to swim for the exercise, because seriously it's the only exercise i can truly tell you I enjoy.

I feel more committed to taking this step than at any other time in my life for a few reasons.

First I swim in open water, its more accessible on a small island than a pool.
    Second I am doing this alone. While I could swim from young, I had to get over a whole lifetime of fear of swimming alone. Years of Buddy system or nothing, led to no exercise at all.
    I've yet to find a swim partner but after a few months swimming sporadically I'm more comfortable to go for some distance. Well comfortable isn't really the word as is, more losing paralysing fear. (lol)

But having past that psychological hurdle, and getting all excited about swimming 3-4 times a week, I've been reading the mix views about swimming to lose weight. Was beginning to get disheartened.

I do plan to stick to it though, better to do what I enjoy than nothing. And I typically walk about 2 miles to the beach and back 2 a week, and other days I only walk after the swim. So I'll stick to that for the first few months, then add running to the plan

Glad to have found some other swimmers to share with.
  • bmonagle
    bmonagle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been swimming 3 times a week for 50 minutes since February. I start off with the kickboard for 10 minutes and then alternate strokes (frrestyle, breast stroke, back stoke and side stroke) each length for the final 40 minutes. i do this to create muscle confusion, avoid repetive use issues, include interval training and avoid boredom. I also use a recumbent staionary bike (at home)for 30 minutes each morning and an additional 30 minutes on non swimming days. I have been able to maintain an average loss of 2 lbs per week. My wife and I also go off diet on Sundays and go to a restaurant. This combination works for me. It allowed me to avoid any injuries, optimize muscle toning, range of motion and maintain an consistent workout schedule. I do not take any measurements but I keep reducing the size of my clothes.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I've only been swimming three times in the last two weeks (hoping to increase this once I get my own transportation) and though weight has been fluctuating because of water weight, I can say that I'm about down 0.8 pounds.. and I don't measure regularly, but can tell that I've lost something off my waist line.. not as much to pinch .. if that says anything.
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started swimming this month to get ready for a triathlon next year. My experiences have been good. I went from not being able to swim across the pool to being able to and almost ready to do a full 50 meters (down and back). It is a lot different from running.