Enough Calories?

Options
I had the sleeve done in December, and had to have it revised to RNY in Feb due to major complications.

My question is (and I am going to talk it over with my surgeon when I see him this coming month too) how many calories should I be taking in a day to keep lean muscle and still lose fat?

The three or so months I spent in the hospital with all the complications definitely wiped my muscle mass down, but now that I am well and working out again I am wondering how the calorie part works.

Since we've had a malabsorptive procedure does that mean that the calories we take in aren't all broken down?

It probably seems stupid to be asking this 5 months out from the RNY, but I have literally been preoccupied with not vomiting my guts up every day. Now that I can eat solid food and hold most things down, I really want to focus on making myself healthy.

How do you guys make sure you're getting enough calories while working out? MFP fusses at me daily because I can really only take in about 900calories per da (and that's being generous) and work off about 400-800 with exercise.

I get right around 70-90grams of protein in a day too, which has helped stave off the wicked hair loss I had when I was receiving all nutrients through a PICC line... so I'm not usually hungry for more than about 600calories a day. I know that isn't okay for "normal" people :p but for those of us with the procedure?

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my nutritionist only cares that I get enough fluids, protein and vitamins, so long as the goal is to lose and not to level out it doesn't matter if MFP dosen't like how low your calories are because you're not following the MFP diet. To avoid that message at the end of a day just don't hit the complete diary. you already know you are under the MFP goals, all hitting complete does is posts it to your home page that you were under.

It's my understanding that malabsorption only applies to some vitamins and minerals.

I wouldn't worry so much about eating enough to exercise unless you've got no energy or are having problems; If you haven't eaten enough calories, aka fuel for your workout, you will take your fuel from your stored fat, that is one of the reasons to exercise regardless of which weightloss program you use. The other reason is to use the muscles so you won't lose the muscles, which it sounds like you've already fought the hard fight for, having had some bad complications. I hope you are long past the hard part and that you reach your goal with no more problems.
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    Thanks!

I was just starting to feel insecure about the whole thing because I am reading in some of the message boards around here how women are eating 1800+ calories to make fuel for their workouts etc.... and I thought "How does this apply to RNY?"

I will just keep doing what I'm doing, I have another check in my with my nutritionist and surgeon coming up in a few weeks, so I will check up with them as well on the topic.

Protein has become a buzzword for my entire life! I average right around 80grams per day because I am constantly trying to make the choice of what "has the most protein in it".

Thanks for your advice!!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing. 600-900 calories is pretty typical for someone where you are. Do not worry about exercise calories and what MFP says about them.We are not "normal" : )

For about the first 18 months we malabsorb our calories, which is the reason for our rapid weight loss. After that time period, we absorb all of them for the most part. Vitamins and minerals we will always malabsorb, which is why it is imperative we take our vitamins.
  • pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Laura,
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate your voice of experience on these posts. Thank you for taking the time to share with us.
    pat
  • MrsCassieThreatt
    MrsCassieThreatt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well, first off the surgeon knows how to cut you open and how to do the surgery and all but you need to listen to your nutritionist. Mine in particular and I'm 5'10 told me to eat 1200 calories a day, no more than 15 carbs at each meal and no more than 5 grams of fat at each meal. 6 small meals a day and 80 grams of protein a day. Had I only known that prior to surgery hahahaha! Anyhow, I don't have to work out anymore like a mad woman to drop pounds...I just do a little eliptical and watch my diet like she said to do and I'm good to go. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are a staple in my diet. Plus Ginger tea to help keep my intestines clean and working well. I think everyone is different though and where you are post op. I'm over two years post op and have about 60 pounds to go and I've had a baby too so I stretched my pouch out a little trying to get in enough nutrition for the baby. Which is why I work hard at keeping my calories down to 1200 they were at about 1600 and I wasn't losing any weight.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had the same questions. I'm aiming for 1200 cal/day, and usually am right around the mark, however, on days when I ride, and some of the rides are lengthy, I find that with the additional calories MPF adds on, they might as well say "You must eat a whole cow to meet your caloric requirements."

The short story is that I took the question to my nutritionist, she pulled up MFP on her computer, she made some suggestions around uping my carbs, and made a few changes to the settings and I pretty much ignore MPF's babble. It's just a great way to "Track" my meals and exercise.
  • Mrbusterb
    Mrbusterb Posts: 114
    Options
    I had the same Questions also.I'm only getting around 1000 calories a day and sometimes a little less than that.But i'm getting anywhere from 95 to 115mg of protein a day.I don't get hungry,but i wanna make sure i'm getting enough calories.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My doc isnt too concerned with my calories. They are more concerned with my fluids and protein intake. Right now at almost 4 months out, between shakes and food I average anywhere from 800-1000. There is no way I can make 1200/day and my doc's office doesnt expect me to. I am still losing and have tons of energy. As long as you are getting the fluids and protein you need I wouldnt worry about it.
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm about 3 months of out of RNY and just about reaching 1000 calories per day. I was told 1st to focus on liquid, then protein and then fiber/vegetables in that order. Keep up with your supplements too that is huge for us folks from what I have read, been taught and heard :). One tip if you don't want your non-WLS MFP friends hounding you for being so low is to not hit the complete the day button at the bottom of your food log all that does is post your results, your results don't need to be saved that is automatic.