Weight Gain and Age

Options
lforner46
lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
My weight has gone like this: In my 20's I weighed 128 to 135. In my 30's I weighed 146 to 152. I quit smoking when I was 37 and in my 40's my weight has 157 to 168. I have worked out on and off my whole life. When I smoked, drank and partied - I weighed less. I also have always had a sedentary job so I know that doesn't help. I find it frustrating that I have to fight to get down to 150 lbs when I used to be in the 140's without doing anything super healthy.

Has anyone had this type of slow weight gain, despite eating healthier and having a healthier lifestyle as they got older??

Replies

• jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely with you on this. It used to be just do some stretches, and I feel great, now, I have to run and perspire like a crazy dog, and still not losing much. But I guess that's how our system works, and that's why we need to stimulate the metabolism ...sigh....obesity seems to come easily in the family, so, I want to stave off from going that direction, and therefore, the only ways is to work harder....luckily there are many out there like me...over 40 and trying to keep our weights down...welcome to the world of 40's.
  • mom2chrisandnadia
    mom2chrisandnadia Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. My weight has definitely creeped up as I have gotten older. I used to think that I was fat when I was in the 120's. At this point I don't know if I'll ever see those numbers again. We lose muscle and tend to become generally less active during the day as we age. I'm consciously trying to fight against that pattern.
  • PamL66
    PamL66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It seems that when I hit 40 I started gaining slowly. I weighed 123 lbs when I got pregnant with my youngest son (and people told me I needed to gain weight.) He's now 12 1/2. I got back down to around 128 after he was born and with very little effort. I was 34 then. I was around 130 when I turned 40 and over the next 5 years gained about 20 lbs. Hitting 150 was the turning point for me - that and having BMI of 25. Strangely enough, in my 30s I was told I was prediabetic and had high cholesterol (hereditary). I did change my eating habits, but was not dieting. My bloodwork has been much better recently, but I still gained weight.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Clearly it just gets harder as you get older. I was always under 135--sometimes way under without too much effort. In my 20s I weighed around 125-130 (and thought I needed to lose weight ha! I wanted to be like 115--totally ridiculous! I can't even image 130 right now!) that is, until I hit my late 30s. My lifestyle did change--I was less active, less strict about diet, etc. But now in my early 40s I have to be so extraordinarily disciplined to be at 135 and yes, I eat much, much, much (did I say much!?) better than I did in my 20s and 30s so...it's age, slowing metabolism...we also slowly start losing muscle mass and bone density. I think it's entirely possible to look great into your 40s and beyond, we just have to work harder and be more disciplined :smile:
  • lforner46
    Options
    I guess we all have this 'cross to bear'. Even my super skinny friends (5'4 115) are now a plump 140-145 soo - I guess we have to just fight the fat and try to be in the 'healthy - not over weight range" that is my goal. 150 lbs and I will shut up.
  • laura_lynn66
    laura_lynn66 Posts: 175
    Options
    I'm right there with you...it used to be I would just make some small changes and lose weight or at least maintain...now, it's been an ongoing battle. I really think lots of exercise is key...keep revving up the metabolism..of course, I definitely need to work on my diet, too!
  • snowkarla
    snowkarla Posts: 7
    Options
    I let my weight get away from me while raising my two children, also smoking and not much exercise did not help. Now 47 and a non smoker for 7 years , I have been exercising & eating healthy for three years it is hard & our body changes, pms, pre-menopause etc. i'm sure don't help. I have a goal and am really going to try to reach that by the time I am 50. I have a positive attitute & I feel good when I eat & exercise so I'm really excited to see the changes that will come.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A woman I worked with last year requested an ergo sit/stand desk for work and stayed on her feet at least 6 hours a day. She gives some credit to standing all day for losing 35lbs last year.
  • lforner46
    Options
    If I go on vacation and don't sit around, I lose 2 lbs. Sedentary jobs are th worst. Although I do have energy for exercise at the end of the day.
  • audinphx
    audinphx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sadly yes, at 41, I'm very active, and eat better than I ever have, but every 'cheat' either on diet or exercise now costs pounds. I'm still trying to figure out how to get back to 140... And just a couple of years ago I weighed 139 with a minimum of effort. I guess what I'm saying is, hang in there. We'll figure this out, and get back to where we are supposed to be. Probably not our dream weight of when we were in our twenties...but a good healthy, attractive weight.
  • skimper70
    skimper70 Posts: 7
    Options
    Definitely with you on this one! I find it really funny that I too wish to be in my 150's... There was a time when I thought this was overweight. Oh, the irony.
    Well' here's to doing it the right way!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Kathy. I joined myfitnesspal last Monday after I finally resolved to lose this weight once and for all. I was always a little chubby growing up. I lost weight in my 20s but yo yo'd. I50 to 135 then gradually up to 190 then (weight watchers) down to 145 in my early 30s. Had a baby at age 39 and shot up to 207 and never lost the baby weight. Since last December, I have lost about 12 lbs - but it's been very gradual and I keep starting and stopping.

I find it VERY hard to lose weight now. My metabolism is shot. I could just cut back and up my exercise for a week and drop 5-7 lbs when I was younger. During my 20s and 30s I got very active -- ran 5 and 10ks, did sprint triathlons, went to the gym regularly. I don't know what has happened these last few years, but I just can't get back into exercise.

So I'm starting with my nutrition and really working on eating well. But slowly I would like to get back to where I was -- athletic! (You wouldn't know it to look at me now.) I will be quite happy to be 145 again, although even when I was there before, I still thought I was fat. Silly me.
  • lforner46
    Options
    Its funny how that works. I was 135 lbs in my 20's and worked out like crazy to get to 128 !! Not - I'd be eternally greatful to get to 145 - 150 lbs. I can't figure out why I'm stuck. I've read the "ear more to weigh less" group info but I'm too afraid to increase my calories to 'reset' my metabolism. My intituition tells me that I don't eat low enough calories long enough to get to my goal. I'll do good Mon - Thurs then whoops - weekend - had some drinks maybe a desert . Result: weight hasn't moved in 2 months !!
  • Lorichr
    Lorichr Posts: 54
    Options
    I never had to worry about my weight until I turned 40 and then it all went down hill. But that said I managed to lose 30 pounds and am now 5'4" 125 pounds. Maintenance is my new challenge.
  • nicew0
    nicew0 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am so right there with you. In my 20s I weighed in at 125. Had children in my 30s and and I went up to 136. I was able to shed the baby weight, even being an older first time mom. But then the 40s arrived. It's like the pounds creep up like magic. And not the good kind either! I've had good success with exercise but I find it difficult to keep it up with regularity. I want to be one of those people who falls madly in love with working out. Wouldn't mind that kind of obsession! We just have to keep plugging away at it not just to drop pounds, but to be/stay healthy.
  • lforner46
    Options
    How did you do it? Did you have to eat 1200 cals a day ??
    I never had to worry about my weight until I turned 40 and then it all went down hill. But that said I managed to lose 30 pounds and am now 5'4" 125 pounds. Maintenance is my new challenge.
  • SherriLibrarian
    Options
    A woman I worked with last year requested an ergo sit/stand desk for work and stayed on her feet at least 6 hours a day. She gives some credit to standing all day for losing 35lbs last year.

I'm requesting one of these for my library..Thanks for the idea!

I was 110 right after I turned 30 though I was around 120 thru most of my my 20s. I gained weight thru my 30s- especially after I had kids in my late 30s. I got back down to 140 after my youngest was born but gained it back (and more) when I returned to work in my mid 40s. I'm in my late 40s and I gained 20 lbs in the past year.
  • bshears10
    bshears10 Posts: 1
    Options
    How long did it take you to loose 30lbs and did you cut out carbs or count calories?
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes! Just exactly the same. It seems I have to cut calories to 1000 and exercise between 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. a day just to lose. But if I eat like a normal person for one day, I can easily gain 3 lbs. in a day. It's little comfort to hear it's probably water gain, or sodium. Then, if I exercise especially intensly, I can also gain weight. I asked the doctor, and in addition to "muscles weigh more than fat" I was told muscles swell and hold water, which can add to weight gain. So, the question is, WHEN do I LOSE weight?? It can be very frustrating. I try to remember that my cardio health, stamina, and muscle tone is improving. The weight on the scale is just one part of the healthy, weight loss pie. Sigh. Boy, if we had only known how lucky we were as teens scarfing down pizza and junk food! :)
  • lforner46
    Options
    I think the older you get, you have no choice with exercise. You MUST workout. I hear that "muscle-fat" stuff all the time but I don't fully believe it. When I lose weight, my clothes are looser, when I gain weight, they are tighter. I've never lost inches without losing weight.