Leg/Muscle Cramps

Options
Amberh82
Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
I'm on week 7 and I've started to notice that i'm getting some leg cramps after I run. anyone else have this problem? any suggestions on how to get rid of them? I drink a protein drink after my run and stretch and warm up.

Replies

• newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think it may just be that we are doing longer distances... i have noticed that too. a good stretch helps but i think maybe as we get used to teh longer runs it gets better.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Are you doing a cool-down? Walking for 5 or so minutes after your run? I find that helps quite a bit.

Also, drink LOTS of water!
  • krawles
    krawles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not only will water help, but fluids with electrolytes in it will help prevent cramping. One of the best would be coconut water without any added sugars. It isn't as good as the fresh juice they have in Southeast Asia, but it taste better than gatorade.
  • Razack541
    Razack541 Posts: 29
    Options
    I used to get really painful cramps in my quads deep into my runs. on my cooldowns, I'd hobble back home at like 2.5 mph. Turns out I wasn't really drinking enough water. Now I take a few drinks before I go out, and things work much better.