cabbage

Options
hi i was wondering if any one had any good cabbage recipes. i seem to loose the most if i eat dishes that has lots of cabbage in them. i know about cabbage rolls and cabbage lasagna and cabbage soup. was just wondering if any one has any other suggestions. thanks have a great day.

ls

Replies

• kristinajaffe
    kristinajaffe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I LIKE TO COOK 4OZ GROUND CHICKEN BREAST .. ADD 3 TBSP PACE SALSA.. HEAT UP 2 CORN TORTILLAS IN A NONSTICK SKILLET.. FILL WITH THE GROUND CHICKEN.. LOTS OF CABBAGE.. (OR THE DOLE COLESLAW MIX) CILANTRO. AN UNSWEETENED PLAIN GREEK YOGURT... REALLY GOOD AND ONLY 340 CALS FOR 2 BIG AND FILLING CHICKEN TACOS..
  • kristinajaffe
    Options
    ANOTHER WAY I LIKE TO DO IT IS IN STIR FRY.. I BROWN CHICKEN BREAST CHUNKS IN NON STICK SKILLET WITH COOKING SPRAY AND LIQUID AMINOS.. OR SOY SAUCE.. ADD A BUNCH OF CABBAGE AND ANY OTHER VEGGIES YOU LIKE.. BROCCOLI.. CELERY.. SUGAR SNAP PEAS.. WATER CHESTNUSTS.. REALLY YUMMY.. AND YOU CAN MAKE IT REALLY HEALTHY AND FULL OF VEGGES...
  • kristinajaffe
    Options
    ALSO I MADE A BIG POT OF A VEGGIE OR MINESTRONE TYPE SOUP.. TONS AND TONS OF VEGGIES IN IT.. SOME OF THE INCUDED WERE PUMPKIN.. V8 JUICE AND LOTS OF CABBAGE... THE CABBAGE ACTUALLY DISSOLVED AND NO ONE KNEW IT WAS THERE.. BUT YOU STILL GET ALL THE NUTRIENTS FROM IT...
  • tradingfoods
    tradingfoods Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ALSO I MADE A BIG POT OF A VEGGIE OR MINESTRONE TYPE SOUP.. TONS AND TONS OF VEGGIES IN IT.. SOME OF THE INCUDED WERE PUMPKIN.. V8 JUICE AND LOTS OF CABBAGE... THE CABBAGE ACTUALLY DISSOLVED AND NO ONE KNEW IT WAS THERE.. BUT YOU STILL GET ALL THE NUTRIENTS FROM IT...
    great ideals thanks abunch
  • tradingfoods
    Options
    I LIKE TO COOK 4OZ GROUND CHICKEN BREAST .. ADD 3 TBSP PACE SALSA.. HEAT UP 2 CORN TORTILLAS IN A NONSTICK SKILLET.. FILL WITH THE GROUND CHICKEN.. LOTS OF CABBAGE.. (OR THE DOLE COLESLAW MIX) CILANTRO. AN UNSWEETENED PLAIN GREEK YOGURT... REALLY GOOD AND ONLY 340 CALS FOR 2 BIG AND FILLING CHICKEN TACOS..
    wow this sounds really good !!! thanks
  • butttrffly
    Options
    I just joined this group! I am liking it already.

This is one of my favorites with cabbage it was originally a Rachel Ray recipe but I have changed it to my liking.

Teriyaki Chicken

Ingredients
    Chicken Breast
    Teriyaki sauce
    1 bag of coleslaw mix minus the dressing. ( Cabbage shrinks when cooked, if you have a large family add more)
    1 bunch of Scallions trimmed.
    1 cup of snow peas or anyother fresh peas in the pod.
    1/4 cup honey
    3 tbs cider vinegar
    1 tbs olive oil

Place Teriyaki Sauce in a Ziploc bag add chicken and shake to coat.

Cook the chicken in your normal way. I usually broil in the oven for 5 minutes on each side. You can fry
    it or grill it.

Mix the Vinegar and honey together in a small bowl.

Heat a skillet to medium heat, add olive oil.
    When olive oil is warming up add coleslaw, scallions and peas.
    Cook stirring constantly about 4 minutes. Then add the vinegar and honey mixture
    to the pan and toss to coat.

Remove slaw from heat, serve with chicken on top of the slaw and a pineapple ring to top it off.
    I sometimes add the pineapple to the slaw pan to heat it up.

Teriyaki Sauce ( to cut down on the salt I will usually half ketchup and Teriyaki Sauce to make 1/3 of a cup for 4 chicken breast, That would make the chicken 170 calories.

We eat this recipe at least once a month it is low in fat and high in fiber.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group! I am liking it already.

This is one of my favorites with cabbage it was originally a Rachel Ray recipe but I have changed it to my liking.

Teriyaki Chicken

Ingredients
    Chicken Breast
    Teriyaki sauce
    1 bag of coleslaw mix minus the dressing. ( Cabbage shrinks when cooked, if you have a large family add more)
    1 bunch of Scallions trimmed.
    1 cup of snow peas or anyother fresh peas in the pod.
    1/4 cup honey
    3 tbs cider vinegar
    1 tbs olive oil

Place Teriyaki Sauce in a Ziploc bag add chicken and shake to coat.

Cook the chicken in your normal way. I usually broil in the oven for 5 minutes on each side. You can fry
    it or grill it.

Mix the Vinegar and honey together in a small bowl.

Heat a skillet to medium heat, add olive oil.
    When olive oil is warming up add coleslaw, scallions and peas.
    Cook stirring constantly about 4 minutes. Then add the vinegar and honey mixture
    to the pan and toss to coat.

Remove slaw from heat, serve with chicken on top of the slaw and a pineapple ring to top it off.
    I sometimes add the pineapple to the slaw pan to heat it up.

Teriyaki Sauce ( to cut down on the salt I will usually half ketchup and Teriyaki Sauce to make 1/3 of a cup for 4 chicken breast, That would make the chicken 170 calories.

We eat this recipe at least once a month it is low in fat and high in fiber.

Sounds great! I will have to try it next week!
  • dollygoggles
    Options
    Bigos (Polish Hunter’s Stew)

1 large onion, chopped.
    ½ head of white cabbage, finely shredded.
    1large jar of sauerkraut with carrot, drained.
    Finely chopped/cubed smoked cured pork loin (sopocka), kielbasa (krakowska, podwawelska garlic sausage etc.) venison or whatever left over meats or cold cuts, or smoked sausage you have – preferably two types of meat goes in (obviously, when you are counting calories you don’t want to add too much meat. Just a little smoked meat will add a lot of flavour).
    1 generous tablespoon tomato paste.
    A small handful of prunes (ready to eat, not dried), chopped.
    A handful of dried forest mushrooms (or porcini) reconstituted in 1 cup of boiling water.
    1 teaspoon caraway seeds
    bay leaf
    salt
    pepper

Add chopped onion, shredded cabbage and meat to a large heavy base saucepan or pot. Fry gently for a few minutes and then add the rest of the ingredients including the liquid from the mushrooms (but not the little bits left in the end of the cup), and about ¼ or ½ a cup of water. It shouldn’t be dry nor should it be too soupy. If you prefer a sourer taste then you can reserve some sour water from the sauerkraut and add this instead. Put the lid onto the saucepan and simmer gently for 1 or 2 hours.
    Bigos is the national dish of Poland and there hundreds if not thousands of recipes –you can add juniper berries, pepper corns, grated green apple, whatever you like. Its takes better with time, after 3 days it’s delicious!
  • tradingfoods
    Options
    Bigos (Polish Hunter’s Stew)

1 large onion, chopped.
    ½ head of white cabbage, finely shredded.
    1large jar of sauerkraut with carrot, drained.
    Finely chopped/cubed smoked cured pork loin (sopocka), kielbasa (krakowska, podwawelska garlic sausage etc.) venison or whatever left over meats or cold cuts, or smoked sausage you have – preferably two types of meat goes in (obviously, when you are counting calories you don’t want to add too much meat. Just a little smoked meat will add a lot of flavour).
    1 generous tablespoon tomato paste.
    A small handful of prunes (ready to eat, not dried), chopped.
    A handful of dried forest mushrooms (or porcini) reconstituted in 1 cup of boiling water.
    1 teaspoon caraway seeds
    bay leaf
    salt
    pepper

Add chopped onion, shredded cabbage and meat to a large heavy base saucepan or pot. Fry gently for a few minutes and then add the rest of the ingredients including the liquid from the mushrooms (but not the little bits left in the end of the cup), and about ¼ or ½ a cup of water. It shouldn’t be dry nor should it be too soupy. If you prefer a sourer taste then you can reserve some sour water from the sauerkraut and add this instead. Put the lid onto the saucepan and simmer gently for 1 or 2 hours.
    Bigos is the national dish of Poland and there hundreds if not thousands of recipes –you can add juniper berries, pepper corns, grated green apple, whatever you like. Its takes better with time, after 3 days it’s delicious!
    thanks so much this sounds really good !!!
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I use cabbage and spinach in all my stir-frys....at the end of cooking a drizzle soy sauce and 1 Tablespoon of sesame oil.
    I also make a cabbage soup with Kielbasa sausage, potatoes (boiled separate and drained), garlic, salt and pepper. Cabbage is also gr8 in fish tacos.
    San :)
  • tammyclinch
    tammyclinch Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just put cabbage in pan spray with Pam spray and fry..
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    ANOTHER WAY I LIKE TO DO IT IS IN STIR FRY.. I BROWN CHICKEN BREAST CHUNKS IN NON STICK SKILLET WITH COOKING SPRAY AND LIQUID AMINOS.. OR SOY SAUCE.. ADD A BUNCH OF CABBAGE AND ANY OTHER VEGGIES YOU LIKE.. BROCCOLI.. CELERY.. SUGAR SNAP PEAS.. WATER CHESTNUSTS.. REALLY YUMMY.. AND YOU CAN MAKE IT REALLY HEALTHY AND FULL OF VEGGES...

This ^^^^^
    Thanks for posting this recipe I love cabbage recipes and stir fry veggies the best of both in a recipe.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread....the recipes sound delish!!
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage!! Here's my recipe it's a cold salad............ Chop cabbage up fine, add in chopped or sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, chopped cilantro or green apple , left over cold chicken breast mix it all up and add your favorite low-cal dressing or keep it simple with apple cider vinegar

I love it, it's very feeling and the raw cabbage is great roughage if you know what I mean :)
  • gvroxie
    gvroxie Posts: 10
    Options
    I love coleslaw so I make my own with shredded/sliced cabbages, fat-free mayo or salad dressing, a splash of vinegar, onion powder, salt, pepper and some sugar substitute. Yummmmmmy!!!
  • PangelJ
    PangelJ Posts: 28
    Options
    Cabbage for breakfast!

I too am a big cabbage eater.
    Something simple and delicious

take a small half of a cabbage head and chop about 2 cups of cabbage then place into a sauce pan with LIGHT oil just to keep from sticking
    semi stir fry it then either scrabble 2 eggs or I like mine over medium
    place cabbage in a bowl (this feeds 2 btw)
    place eggs on top and for a spice it up
    add salsa and sour cream
    or even guacamole

I make this for my 8 year old son and myself and he usually wants 2 bowls :)
  • kathyanne07
    kathyanne07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi! I make a good cole slaw salad. I use 1 lb bag of shredded cabbage/carrots, I mix together 1/2 C f fr mayo and 1/2 C f fr cool whip for the dressing, add 1 can of drained mandarin oranges, - stir all together in bowl and sprinkle 1/8 C of sunflower seeds over the top. When I first heard of this - I turned up my nose - but - I now take it to most pot lucks and it is always gone. My family will eat it also!! It is quick and easy to make!!
  • LadyAmy20
    LadyAmy20 Posts: 137
    Options
    I like it raw as a salad - mix white and red cabbage finely chopped/shredded, and dress with olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Great with chicken!
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    BEST EVER
    "MAKE AHEAD & TAKE TO WORK PARTY" SALAD:

( i wasn't going to post this, cuz it does call for sugar, but you can cut that amt down, or even try fake sugar)

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/community/recipe-exchange/userrecipedisplay.aspx?user_recipe_id=253791&group_id=1

^People LOVE that dish, just rave about it, even ppl who do not like cabbage, get back in line for seconds. Never ever any leftovers.

This salad IS great for work parties, or cookouts, cuz it can stand in a chilled bowl for hours and still be good to eat, and you don't have to provide tons of various dressings to set out either.

just reduce the sugar, or use 'fake' sugar instead..
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I love stuffed cabbage with ground beef,onion,garlic,rice. I use weight watchers tomato soup to cut calories and carbs. I am having it for lunch today. I am told I make the best stuffed cabbage and when mixing the hamburger I add ketchup. I use the reduced sugar ketchup.