Vacation Confession : Your tips please!

Options
aprrae
aprrae Posts: 172 Member
At the risk of sounding to hard on myself, I need to post a confession.

I posted my Phase 3 results today, and I really am so proud of what I accomplished in just 3 months. I am excited to head to the beach tomorrow feeling fitter than I have been in the past 6 years. Unfortunately, I woke up this morning with the age old beach body dread. You know : that feeling of dread that you will be on the beach in your bathing suit, looking out of shape and fat. Unfortunately, I am already comparing myself to the ladies that will be on the beach with me. (and I am not even there yet!) I realize that it is all in my head, and I need to let the negative feelings/tapes go, but I can't deny that these feelings are there. Why at age 43, do I still have these ridiculous feelings. ARRRRGGGGHHH!

I am one of those women who has always fought a battle with body image. I carry a lot of mass/weight in my thighs, My brothers used to call them THUNDER THIGHS. Even though I know that my legs are more toned now, I can't seem to look at them without being frustrated they aren't thinner/smaller. My in-laws, who I am heading to the beach with, all have these perfectly skinny legs; even when they aren't physically fit, they don't carry a single ounce of weight in their legs. I try not to be so envious of their bodies, but I have to admit that I am.

So here is my real fear...

I will put my big girl panties on today, and shake off these feelings. I mean come on! Be proud of yourself! But I worry that once I get on vacation, I will allow these negative thoughts to derail my progress. I don't want the feelings to diminish what I've accomplished and give me an excuse to stop my workouts and eat poorly. I want to keep going!!

So do you have any tips to keep my focused? What are your best vacation strategies to keep your diet & fitness program going?

Thanks as always for all the support!

Replies

• KGTraxler
    KGTraxler Posts: 144
    Options
    I think your best bet is to focus on the positive. Look at what you've accomplished! When you stay positive, it helps you make positive choices. Also, remember---you are your own worst critic. Lots of people are going to be at the beach to have fun and not even notice the people around them. Who cares what a bunch of strangers think about your body? Bottom line---are YOU proud of yourself? Do YOU see and feel a difference? Are YOU happier and healthier than what you were before? If the answer is "yes" to any of the previous questions, then everyone else doesn't matter. YOU put in work; YOU made yourself a better you! CONGRATULATIONS! Have fun on vacation and really enjoy yourself!
  • mayday1969
    mayday1969 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I woke up this morning with the age old beach body dread. You know : that feeling of dread that you will be on the beach in your bathing suit, looking out of shape and fat. Unfortunately, I am already comparing myself to the ladies that will be on the beach with me.

I am one of those women who has always fought a battle with body image. I carry a lot of mass/weight in my thighs, My brothers used to call them THUNDER THIGHS. Even though I know that my legs are more toned now, I can't seem to look at them without being frustrated they aren't thinner/smaller.

THIS.

This is how I feel. I also carry my weight in my thighs. You were braver than me. I didn't post a pic showing my thighs, just them squeezed into swim shorts. I had bought a smaller swimsuit, then didn't wear it on the boat because I was feeling "fat". I'm a dork. So I wore my old baggy suit.

I'm glad you are putting on your big girl (you mean small itty bitty girl) panites and going for it. You won't regret it! I just looked at your pics and you look amazing!
  • LeslePG
    LeslePG Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said. Even when we have made positive changes (both seen and unseen..... and we can SEE yours, which are amazing, BTW :wink: ), it's hard to get that negative junk out of your head and it will mess with you. You have made some great changes, and have every right to be dang proud of yourself~ put on that bathing suit and OWN IT!! Have an amazing time at the beach and enjoy yourself!

Something my daughter said to me when we were on vacation last month: We went to a water park, and you see people of all shapes & sizes in their bathing suits. After doing some people watching, she said "Mom, I don't know why YOU are so afraid of wearing a bikini!" And I have to say, she had a point, so I promised her that when my BR is over, I will get one! :laugh:
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    No tips, just that I relate to this. As I am nearing 40, I have to be realistic about the fact that there are gorgeous twenty-somethings at the beach, and no one is looking at me. Even if I looked totally hot, there is always someone hotter. My belly is covered in loose skin and so bikinis are off the table entirely, I don't want people staring.
    Why do I feel the need to compete? This is not a contest! You look awesome, and have made great improvements. Make a list of the things on your body you like (I have great biceps, I have slim wrists) and when you are tempted to focus on the bad, recite this list in your head.
    And when in doubt, a fake tan does wonders lol.
  • aprrae
    aprrae Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. I am going to do my best to focus on my success. I love the beach and need to focus on having a wonderful time. It is so great to have the support from all my myfitnesspal friends!