3 months to get to week 4?! :(

Options
pagingdoctork
pagingdoctork Posts: 40 Member
Hey guys,

I'm starting to feel really discouraged with c25k. I've been doing it since May, and I still can't even finish week 4. I'm having trouble with meeting my calorie goals (too few) but I don't think that'd be a reason to not be able to finish, right? I didn't start the program carrying excess weight or anything that would have made it more difficult than average, either.

My only thought is that maybe I'm going too fast? But I slowed down a lot recently, and it's gotten easier, but I still can't do it. I don't think it's a mental thing either-- I push myself to keep going, but by 3 minutes into the run intervals, I feel dizzy and like I'm about to throw up. And I'm definitely getting enough water, too-- about 11 cups/day.

Here are my activity logs, if you want to take a peek:
http://runkeeper.com/user/pagingdoctork/activity/104131342

(also, I stopped for a long while in early July due to complications with wisdom teeth extractions)

Anyone have any advice? I'm supposed to do my first 5k on September 8th, and I'm starting to have a lot of doubts that I'll meet my goals. :( That's five weeks away, and I have five weeks left, so I don't really have time to repeat any weeks.

halp. :(

Replies

• Crazy57307
    Crazy57307 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down your pace. If you're feeling faint and nauseous, there's a good chance you're pushing yourself too hard too quickly. Try and keep your "running" pace at a level that you don't get out of breath (I know this is sometimes easier said than done!). I know a lot of people focus on the pace/speed of a 5k, try focusing on the distance of it - not how fast you can do it. Keep your body and joints loose (don't ball up your fists) and try to keep your arms below chest level - this will seriously help too.

Try eating a small snack (I like having a banana) 30-60 minutes before and stay hydrated - however if you over hydrate immediately before (or during), that has been known to make me feel nauseous!\

Are you running outside or inside on a treadmill? I ask because I see there are elevation differences on your runkeeper link.
  • classictoaster
    Options
    First 3 minute running interval is killing you, I think. Go for a steady pace across the board - I'd aim for 11min/mile (about 5.5 mph). I think your first run is what's burning you out.
  • pagingdoctork
    Options
    Try slowing down your pace. If you're feeling faint and nauseous, there's a good chance you're pushing yourself too hard too quickly. Try and keep your "running" pace at a level that you don't get out of breath (I know this is sometimes easier said than done!). I know a lot of people focus on the pace/speed of a 5k, try focusing on the distance of it - not how fast you can do it. Keep your body and joints loose (don't ball up your fists) and try to keep your arms below chest level - this will seriously help too.

Try eating a small snack (I like having a banana) 30-60 minutes before and stay hydrated - however if you over hydrate immediately before (or during), that has been known to make me feel nauseous!\

Are you running outside or inside on a treadmill? I ask because I see there are elevation differences on your runkeeper link.

Thanks, this is all really helpful. :) I guess I am going to fast, because I'm always out of breath, haha.

And yeah, I'm running outside, and some of my path has some slight inclines (it's over a golf course).
    First 3 minute running interval is killing you, I think. Go for a steady pace across the board - I'd aim for 11min/mile (about 5.5 mph). I think your first run is what's burning you out.

I think you're probably right... I'll try to go way, way slower tomorrow.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    This is easier said than done, but:
    Relax, have a banana or a slice of toast and some water, find a chilled album on your phone, go out, warm up and run slowly enough that you can still talk in sentences.
    (NB I have 2 speeds, as fast as I can and not quite as fast as that)
    Oh yes, try and keep your elbows at less than a 90 degree angle. When I feel stressed running I find that if I move my elbows down it really helps. Also try and look ahead instead of down at your feet if you do that (I do that).
    You can do this! I had some shocking runs on the way to finish C25K. Still running though!
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    A wise person told me you should be able to sing along with your music for 2 lines. If you can't do that you're going too fast and if you can go more then you are going too slow. I fine its a great check because you can do it every song or so to make sure your still at the right pace! Good luck!
  • miannie
    miannie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with everyone talking about slowing way down - sometimes I don't even run 5 mph (a 12 minute mile). The most important thing for me is being able to breathe well. I've never tried singing, but I think tinkermom's advice sounds good.

Good luck!!
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yes, slow down.

I've been at it off and on since APRIL and was forced just recently to start over again. I might complete the damn program in a year.

My running pace is typically 4 mph. I was doing 5 mph last week and THRILLED, but that's still too fast for me.
  • GypsyWillow22
    GypsyWillow22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this helps a little bit but maybe you are thinking about too many things while you are running, try to focus solely on your breathing and imagining your loved ones yelling out "GO GO! YOU CAN DO IT JUST A LITTLE MORE!" and so on.

Try to focus breathing from your stomach and not from your chest, you get more oxygen that way and maybe not get out of breath so easily.

But foremost, slow down your pace. I'm at the slowest you can jog, which is probably 5.0 mph. And I made it to the 4 week mark in about 5 weeks. AND I have excess weight to still carry!
  • pagingdoctork
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. You guys are all the best. I followed your advice today... I ate a banana during my warmup walk and went sloooooowly, and it was the BEST and EASIEST run I've ever done. I've never before been able to finish the harder intervals (even in the easier weeks!) without having to stop and rest, which is obviously against the whole point of the program. Today I didn't stop once until it was over! :)

I think the problem was that I was going WAY, way too fast... I slowed down my pace during the steady intervals from about 10:00 to almost 14:00, and it made a huge difference. I feel so, so, so great about my progress, and it's nice to know that I was doing the program wrong, not that it was wrong for me. :)
  • miannie
    miannie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear you had success! Congrats!