A1c Target

Options
Bevkus
Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
Hi Gang

I need some opinions.

I recently brought down my A1c to 5.9 from 6.3 in April, and 9.6 in January. I am very pleased with that, but still thought it would be very good to bring it down further, below 5.5 at least. So that has been my personal target.

I was surprised when my doctor told me my result...then added, that is fine, DONT bring it down any further!

While happy with that, I was a bit stunned.

What are your targets? Are they different from what your doc says?

Bev

Replies

• travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on the new number. You have made excellent progress.

When I was first diagnosed in September 2011 (with a 14.8), my doctor told me that there are three different A1C numbers to talk about, depending on how serious I was about controlling the disease. He said he wanted every diabetic patient, no matter how non-compliant, to be below 7.0. He said that in order to make him happy I needed to be below 6.0. He said if I wanted to have a truly normal A1C and ever think about going off meds I needed to be at 5.4 or below. I shared a coupe of weeks ago that after being at 5.1 in January and again this month, he took me off meds, but told me he would put me right back on them as soon as I went back over 5.4.

I reached my ultimate goal by being able to come off meds. My new goal is to stay off and I would love to see an A1C below 5.0.

I understand your doctor being happy at the 5.9, but am baffled as to why he/she would not encourage you to bring it down further. If it was me, I'd ask the doctor his thinking behind it, and if not satisfied, would still aim to lower my A1C further and would probably start looking for a new doctor who was more in line with my beliefs on how to handle this disease.
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    I have researched that 5.6 is "normal"...but we all know different sources list different numbers. But, I am sticking with 5.6 or below.

Congrats on your progress! That is fantastic and I am very happy for you.
  • Gbelk1
    Gbelk1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What travisseger said is the same as my Doc told me and my goal is to be off meds in the next six months. if my AIC is lower next month I will decrease my meds in half. From there i am looking at keeping me AIc at 5.2 are below without meds.
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wow - you have done an amazing job! I would agree with Travis and find out why your doctor told you that.

In the mean time, I'm going to use you and Travis as examples of what can be accomplished!!
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts.

When my doctor said that, I was pretty stunned and I couldnt think what to respond at the time. Does that happen to anyone else or just me LOL.

I understand that while 5.9 is good, its still better to go below. Indeed its still in the pre-diabetes range.

I am going lower...and want to get off my meds. Another reason I was stunned with his remark. Does he think I want to be on metformin forever? Next visit I wont be so stunned.

Thanks for your ideas and comments
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Options
    Good for you, Bev. Your A1C being reduced that much, and for you continuing to work on it with a goal of getting off meds.
    I'm sorry my last one was 7.1. And it's been gradually inching up. Tho' I lost almost 50 lbs. a few years ago and it came down to 6.1 I'm still on metformin. Trying to cut back I was down to 2 a day, but now have to go back to 3. I can see how losing weight helps in a very practical way. I'm struggling with cutting back carbs enough to lose, seem to just crave extra. Do you think taking 3 met will help that?
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Sorry Bev, I have no help for you.

My doctor has said the same thing as yours. As long is my A1C is below 7 he is happy. That doesn't make me happy but I don't have an appointment until October for a new test so we have to wait to see if has come down. My last test was a 7.5 but that was only 6 weeks after being diagnosed and coming down from a 9. If I am not happy with his answers on my next visit, I will probably seek out an endo just so I know someone who specializes in this will have better answers for me.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Ellen, have you tried adjusting your level of protein which can sometimes help with the carb crave.
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I have been hearing from several sources recommending a 25 to 30 gm of protein for breakfast soon after getting up. I heard one fitness guy on youtube today who said doing this alone will contribute greatly to easier weight loss. Worth a try.
    I also find my doc not too concerned tho' my A1c is a lot higher than I was told it should be kept by the diabetes clinic a number of years ago. I think they said it should be 6 or less for good control.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My dr. is a GP. He said I am the most compliant T2 he has. Most of his other diabetic can't manage to stay under 7 so he's delighted that I always am. I believe my last one was 5.8 which he was happy with but I wasn't due to my high fasting and that the only way I could keep my BG somewhat under control was to eat very low carb. At that appt he told me that I shouldn't go below 5 since that would start putting me into the below normal range rather than normal. I'm happy with the low 5's and being able to eat like a human rather than some kind of rabbit.