Emotion and eating -why I started this Blog

Options
lakota1307
lakota1307 Posts: 73 Member
Well I guess it is because of my recent attempts to separate my emotional life from my eating habits. I studied Radio and Television at Ohio University from 88-92. I had some great teachers, we often discussed advertising and how it works. I guess I have always known that advertisers try to tell you " OUR PRODUCT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL GREAT!!"
It really didn't hit me until this time around trying to lose weight. I started working with a personal trainer/Karate Instructor about 7 weeks ago.
We have had several discussions as part of the training and one thing we focused on is "Why do we eat?" that triggered something in me , but when it really, really hit home is when I heard the Radio commercial for "Wendy's" the Catch Phrase is
" IT'S GOOD MOOD FOOD!!!!!" DUH !!! after 20 years it hit me like a brick, SEPARATE EMOTION AND EATING AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS !! Well first thing I have been working on recognizing "WHY AM I EATING?" I ask myself (when I can remember to do it), Why are you eating???, is it time? Are you really hungry? Are you extra happy? sad? Board? Because the food is "There in front of You ? Identifying " why I am about to eat??" seems to be a big step into my journey .
So that is where I am right now , Starting to work on "What to do when I want to eat , but don't need too eat right now ?"
. As a Start I have been drinking lots of water with Lemon, and drinking coffee sometimes, Eat a few almonds ( 1-3) and Pistachios (2-4) if really hungry eat a piece of fruit and drink a about 2-4 cups water It has helped .
Another Big thing for me personally is avoiding artificial sweeteners, they make me crave more food " I mean REALLY STRONG Cravings. So despite what the FDA may say, It effects me with extreme hunger> may not be true for anyone else .... So What do you think Of my theory ? I guess I have always known about the connection, but after struggling with being over weight since the 6th grade, I am finally addressing the issue instead of just " Going with it" Any Ideas, or help with ways to mentally become stronger please chime in !!!!

Replies

• DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I started to do was "self talk". When I got hungry I used to ask myself, what do I "FEEL" like eating? I don't ask that anymore because I am not feeding my feelings or my emotions. I am trying to nourish and fuel my body.... So now I ask myself, what SHOULD I eat? The answer for that is usually quite different from my old question.

Whenever I have an urge for something I know I should not eat, I ask myself what would be a healthier choice? I always try to have a healthier, but equally satisfying alternative as a back up. I also use positive words associated with the healthier alternative and will tell myself, "Oooh, I have those super sweet and juicy tangelos at home!" to encourage that mental shift to the new food and take the focus off my old favorites.

I would like to invite you to read my blogs. My journey of weight loss, actually began as an attempt to build a healthier relationship with food as well as unlearning years of poor eating habits and replacing them with healthier eating habits. That means not just making better food selection, but changing the how, when, wheres and whys of my eating....

All the best to you in your journey!
  • Skyecath
    Skyecath Posts: 33
    Options
    I am definitely an emotional eater. Always have been. I eat when I am sad and upset and when I'm bored. I eat in secret which thinking about it has to do with the guilt of eating the wrong things and this makes me eat even more when I'm not hungry at all.

I like this idea of asking myself WHY am I going to eat this food and what would be the healthier alternative. Will give it a go.

Thanks for the tips, will let you know how I get on.
  • ranrobinrn
    ranrobinrn Posts: 4
    Options
    My goodness, it makes me happy and sad at the same time to hear that I am not the only one who has a unhealthy relationship with food. I have recently also taken into my routine to ask myself 'why amd I eating?' It has helped so much! Am I just bored? Am I happy, sad, upset, or overwhelmed. Its NOT funny but I have used eating as a coping mechanism for all of these things. I love the post that talks about not asking yourself 'what do I feel like eating'. You are so right! I should NOT be feeding my feelings. I should be feeding/fueling my body! Brilliant. I have been trying to eat better and actually balance my diet so this will help me tremendoulously!

One of the things I believe I am fighting against as most people probably are is culture. I dont know about everyone else's family, but growing up celebration always meant food. And not good food either. I am talking cake, cookies, drinks, obscene quanities of meats/cheeses/breads. Then if something bad happened or you get sick or anything its ice cream and chocolated in my family. Every holiday: hoards of candy big enough to make your teeth hurt. I am trying to break all those old habits and form new one so that when I have children I can help create a more healthy way to celebrate holidays and really any occasion. A fried gets a job she applied for? I offer to drive and plan a hike for the two of us or more. The other day I was invited to a BBQ and I was nervous to go because I love chips and dips and all those wonderful things I cant eat just one of. Embarrassed I picked up a veggie tray at Safeway thinking everyone would look at me sideways and say wow yeah she really should be dieting or just not eat it. Well I am very proud to say the host took it right out of my hands as my back food crossed the threshold to his house, ripped the package off and started eating it. I got countless high-fives for being the only one to bring healthy food and it was gone within the first hour.

I think we all want to be healthy and make new habits and it can be scary, at least for me , because its a completely different world than I grew up in and I worry too much about what other people think. I am excited though to be part of a big change I think it coming in separating food and emotions! Thanks all of you for all your posts I learned a lot!
  • badknees29
    badknees29 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i love that you created this group..i struggle with this every day all day. my emotions dictate my food choices and i hate that and i have no idea how to correct it. honestly it scares the hell out of me.
  • DawnEH612
    Options
    I had to come back to this post. I have had a few break thrus and a few breaks since I last posted here.... So, I have figured out a few other things that help me. I realize I cannot live the all or nothing approach to food. And after all, what I want is a HEALTHY relationship with food and avoidance is NOT healthy!... I initially told myself NO to ice cream, cookies, chips, or whatever I felt "guilty" about putting in my mouth, you know, the foods that you were worried that other people would see you eat because you were worried they would be thinking, "no wonder she's so fat!"... So, to rectify this, I have been PRACTICING how to eat those foods of indulgence without binging on them.

I began by actually portioning out ONE serving and eating just one. I did not allow myself to even lick the spoon or taste one nibble of a chip UNTIL AFTER I put the food away and went to my quiet place to eat it. I would not allow ANY distractions between me and my indulgent food. That meant no tv, no computer, no iPad, no texting... It was me and my indulgent food. PERIOD. I would take a spoonful or one chip and truly savor each sensation of what I was eating... I would allow myself to feel the smoothness of the ice cream or the saltiness of the chip or the moistness of the baked good. Often times I would find my mind wandering off to something different... So I would not allow myself to take another bite until I was 100% focused on the food in my mouth. After I finished eating I would immediately find something to occupy me from wanting to go back for seconds, thirds, etc... Such as taking a shower, taking a walk, signing into MFP, or calling a friend. Anything that would truly prevent me from wandering back into the kitchen and grabbing for more for to put into my mouth. I found the shower worked the best for me as i was totally detained, I ended up focusing on the relaxing shower and it completely distracted me from my desire to binge. By the time I got out of the shower and put my clothes on, my obsession for MORE had been lifted and my common sense/will power had kicked in.

In addition I really have tried to come up with substitutes for my OLD favorites. I am now totally addicted to watermelon as I have truly convinced myself how amazingly yummy it is. So, instead of driving home, stressed out from work telling myself I can't wait to dive into the Ben & Jerry's in the freezer, I tell myself that I have cold and super sweet and juicy watermelon in the refrigerator. I have changed my fixation to a healthier alternative. This really does work for me. In fact, I have two pints of B&J in my freezer and choose watermelon over the ice cream the past several days. Even if I do open my freezer and impulsively think Ohhh, ice cream. I stop myself and say,what else's do I have that would be equally as yummy and satisfying yet not as damaging to my health and weight loss efforts. I try to think about balance in my diet and tell myself, "Dawn, you didnt have enough protein today,what can you eat that would satisfy your hunger as well as your need for additional protein?" Most of the time that helps me to make a better nutritional choice and MANY times I find myself shutting the freezer and opting for the alternative such as Chobani Greek yogurt. That is now a substitute for B&J Cherry Garcia ice cream or frozen yogurt.

I also find that sometimes I want to eat just because something is in front of me. For example, every Wednesday I work late. A woman with whom I work brings in Philadelphia Soft Pretzels each week at the tune of 290 calories a pretzel. I used to not be able to refuse them. But one day i recognized i was readhing for a pretzel simply because it s there. I stopped myself and told myself, I have tasted those soft pretzels every Wednesday night for months on end. I know what they taste like and while they taste good, they are never as good as i originally think they are going to be. Most of the time this stops me from eating them. I also come prepared with some healthier snack alternatives for when other people begin to eat those pretzels.

One of my biggest changes is how I eat my dinner. I find I eat throughout the day in a pretty mindless fashion but dinner is one time I CAN actually slow down to eat. I recalled that I had heard over and over again that it takes the brain about 20 minutes after you eat to realize you have been fed. I then realized that many a time I was so hungry when I got home that I would scarf down food while I was making dinner and my dinner would be done before 20 minutes and I would eat that, too. OR I would begin eating my dinner while standing in the kitchen, as if it were an EMERGENCY to put that first fork full of food in my mouth. I would polish off my dinner so quickly and still feel hungry and the next thing you know I was snacking before my brain even realized my body was fed. I also realized i was so worried about shoveling the next forkful of food into my mouth that i didnt even take notice of the food that was already in my mouth. So now I actually set a timer for 20 minutes. I eat without distractions of any kind. I put my fork/spoon down after EVERY bite I put in my mouth. I chew and taste my food and focus only on what is in my mouth. Once I swallow my food I wait atleast 10 seconds, all while making "eye contact" with my food before I pick up my fork and take another bite.. And start the whole process again. You can't believe how hard it was for me to sit and stare at my food for 10 seconds without wanting to pick up my fork and put another bite in mouth. I am now able to sit for several minutes or more without taking another bite. This has probably been one of my biggest eye openers because it really made me aware how much I was truly just shoveling food in my face mindlessly, impulsively and uncontrollably. I realized it was NOT an emergency or crisis to get that food in my mouth as fast as possible. It was about SLOWING down and being present in the moment of what and how much I was eating. I have to say, it is true about the 20 minutes. Sometimes it takes me more than 20 minutes to eat and I look down at my food and realize, I am no longer hungry and still have food left on my plate. It's really cool to see that shift in myself.

The other thing is, WE ARE NOT PERFECT. Before I began this journey I used to make unhealthy eating choices pretty much 365 days a year... Meaning, every day. So, there are days I am not perfect. But, if I have a binge day once a month than I am doing way better than I was before this journey began. To put it another way, if I were a sports team and won 353 games out of 365 I would be a CHAMPION! So, I am a champion....
  • lakota1307
    Options
    sounds like you have made some great progress!!!!!!
  • lakota1307
    Options
    i HAVE NOT LIVED UP TO MY OWN EXPECTATIONS AS THE HOST OF A BLOG SO I'M GOING TO TRY THIS AGAIN AND BE MORE ACTIVE. Lets face it , if I could do this alone I would be thin already.
    I have been working on control of my emotional eating, first step has been recognizing it!! the other day my wife and I had a bit of a disagreement and I wanted to dive into the fridge and just say "Screw It !" but i didn't , so that was a plus. as of late my depression or some kind of funk has taken over!!! I have been working like a dog, but late in the evening I get this selfish feeling , that I have "earned" the right to eat more, or something sweet, so I do, then the next morning on the scale, "Regret!!!" so I thought WTH, I have lost my taste for fruit and salad.
    Now I have a few Ideas why , tell me what you think !
    One is , I have lost weight and everyone said " You look so good" but that has passed and no one seems to notice anymore.
    Two , I have lost interest in my private lessons in weight loss and Karate because it cost $40 a session and I can't afford that anymore, the trainer has been a little pushy about sticking with it, but I sometimes think it is more "financial" than for my well being, He has a hard time understanding that my life is complicated, Two jobs and 4 kids, assistant Fire chief of a Volunteer fire department, plus my own construction project in the back yard!!
    three I NEVER get to do a workout when I feel like it, Don't get me wrong, I love my family , but life is so busy , I can't get in a groove, . I hope when school starts ( I am a Teacher) I will have a set time just for me to walk or Karate, or something!!! I really miss riding my bike, I mounted my bike rack on the car, I went on One ride, that was cut short by an EMS run,
    and last , I'm just tired! because I can never work on my construction project until afternoon or evening , because My wife has to get things done too, so we have to take turns watching the kids and Lately , she has been out of the house a good bit , so tell me what you think , what can I do to get my MOJO back !!
  • DawnEH612
    Options
    I used to tell myself I earned the right to eat, too. But I now tell myself that I earned the right to treat myself with respect and to do something healthy for myself. If you're stressed and you get the case of the "screw it's" ask yourself why you would lash out at your body for something that is occurring OUTSIDE of your body. This helps me a lot, too.

As far as working out, I'm going to be brutally honest, you're making excuses to NOT do it. One thing I know about people is, they will find a way to do what they really want to do and find an excuse to NOT do something they really DON'T want to do... so find the reasons you WANT to do it... Focus only on why you CAN and SHOULD, not why you can't. I see had four kids and a wife.. There's five reasons right there!!!

I get the whole vegetable/fruit thing but you can change your taste buds. I more often than not grab for fruit or some other healthier alternative than my old favorite Ben and Jerry's. In fact, I bought a pint of B&J well over 6 weeks ago and it is still in my freezer UNOPENED! But I have consumed numerous watermelons, cherries, peaches, strawberries Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, organic natural peanut butter as my treats....

I have stuck with the things that work, I still set a timer to eat my dinner and I still and MINDFUL of what is in my mouth and conscious of wht is currently in my mouth and of how quickly I put the next bite in my mouth... KEY!!!!!! It really helps to not shovel food into your mouth.

Maybe it will help if you read some of my blogs... I plan to update soon. I don't even feel like the same person I was only a few months ago struggling with my eating habits, but I work hard at being a mindful eater every time I put something in my mouth. Good luck.