Ran thirteen minutes straight, should I skip a week?

Options
GypsyWillow22
GypsyWillow22 Posts: 31 Member
So I just had to do my run this morning to let off steam. I'm only on Week 4 of the program but I kept on thinking about what has been stressing me out lately that I didn't even pay attention to how far I was going without walking. By the time I realized it, I had gone over 13 minutes straight. Should I skip to Week 6?

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't I'd just keep going. You can either keep with the program or just try to slowly increase on your own. That's kinda what I did...once I realized I could run longer than the intervals called for, I just started doing that and increased it as I felt comfortable. Remember...there's a 20 minute run in Week 5 still. Don't want to skip past that!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I would either stick with the program for week 4. Or I'd challenge myself and see if I could do the longer run for a second and third time.
  • GypsyWillow22
    GypsyWillow22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I might skip to the second day of week 5 and then try the third day and see how that goes.
  • wfnugent
    wfnugent Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would keep with the program. There are good days and not so good days. Today for W7D3 I was in the zone and picking up speed as I went. On Wednesday, I was dogging it.

Keep up the great work!
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Keep with the program! The program works, trust in the program! Haha!

I did the same as you! Literally - I ran for 13 minutes straight when I got stuck in the rain. It was tempting to jump ahead, but I just kept on with the program, confident that I could finish it!

I did struggle a little later on and so I'm glad I did the program as written. If I hadn't then I might have gotten discouraged when I did struggle.
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I will add my voice to the others and say stay w/the program. Injuries occur when you move ahead too fast. While you're gradually incrementing your time running, your bones, tendons, joints, etc. are also getting accustomed to a new level of usage. I quit running years ago because of just this situation, I attempted to move ahead way too fast and caused pain in my knee. I thought my running days were over but gave this program a try... just did 25 minutes this morning (W7D1) and no pain.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I wouldn't I'd just keep going. You can either keep with the program or just try to slowly increase on your own. That's kinda what I did...once I realized I could run longer than the intervals called for, I just started doing that and increased it as I felt comfortable. Remember...there's a 20 minute run in Week 5 still. Don't want to skip past that!

This...you do not want to skip that 20 minute run in week 5.

You can probably safely skip to week 5, if you were on run three of week 4....skipping to week six will increase your risk for injury (though it's not impossible).

Good luck!